Do you prefer using the Gmail App or integrating your email account through the phones mail accounts.
    07-27-09 12:51 PM
    Phone's. I like the centralized place to get all my messages.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 12:53 PM
    Through BIS. Why else would you have a BB?
    07-27-09 12:54 PM
    +1 more for the phone's. Plus you can set the phone up to use imap for gmail which gets you your messages a little quicker.
    07-27-09 12:56 PM
    Gmail App...

Otherwise I get all types of problems with what is READ on my bb and it still coming up as UNREAD on my computer
    07-27-09 12:59 PM
    Through BIS. Why else would you have a BB?
    This has nothing to do with that... they're just talking about whether they want to use the phone's own email software (as per OS) or download and use the Gmail app and use that instead. The latter alternative would give you the ability like having auto-complete when typing email addresses in the To: field, which the BB already does (but with its own contact list, and NOT the email addresses you have in Gmail) - although you can integrate the email addresses in your regular Contacts and whatever you have in Gmail with Google Sync
    07-27-09 01:01 PM
    I use the Gmail app over the BIS.

1. The emails "look" better. BIS still can't render an email so that it is easy to read. There is enormous text that is misaligned, etc.
    2. The Gmail app allows you to "label" the emails into Gmail folders, put a "star" on an email, or archive the email. You can't do that with BIS.
    3. If I delete an email on my computer directly in Gmail, that email will NOT be deleted from the BIS folder on my Blackberry. The one on the Blackberry stays there forever it seems.
    4. If I compose an email through the Gmail app, there is a "sent" copy that is stored on Google's server in the same place as the rest of my sent emails.
    5. The Gmail app doesn't display an "unread" email icon at the top of the LCD. I hate it when I see the "unread" app for things other than work emails. I'm compelled to check work emails when I see that, but not my personal email, if that makes any sense.

In my opinion, use the Blackberry email folders for work emails. Use Gmail's app for Gmail (personal) email.
    07-27-09 01:08 PM
    On the phone for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 01:23 PM
    Phone, however the Gmail app is loaded if I need to search for stuff while I'm away from a PC on business...
    07-27-09 01:28 PM

1. The emails "look" better. BIS still can't render an email so that it is easy to read. There is enormous text that is misaligned, etc.
    2. The Gmail app allows you to "label" the emails into Gmail folders, put a "star" on an email, or archive the email. You can't do that with BIS.
    3. If I delete an email on my computer directly in Gmail, that email will NOT be deleted from the BIS folder on my Blackberry. The one on the Blackberry stays there forever it seems.
    4. If I compose an email through the Gmail app, there is a "sent" copy that is stored on Google's server in the same place as the rest of my sent emails.
    5. The Gmail app doesn't display an "unread" email icon at the top of the LCD. I hate it when I see the "unread" app for things other than work emails. I'm compelled to check work emails when I see that, but not my personal email, if that makes any sense.

In my opinion, use the Blackberry email folders for work emails. Use Gmail's app for Gmail (personal) email.
    I currently use the Gmail app as well. Some additions and a correction to the above:

- The Gmail app does not allow you to label emails. AFAIK, the app only allows you to access your labeled emails.

- The Gmail app does not have text copying abilities.

- Cannot D/L attmts on Gmail app

- Takes a bit longer to access multiple Gmail accts on the app

- Cannot attach to messages on Gmail app (may have changed, haven't tried this in a while.)

- Emails are threaded on the Gmail app

I personally decided to use the Gmail app for three main reasons:
    1. Two-way sync ability
    2. Ability to access labels
    3. Threaded emails
    07-27-09 01:36 PM

+1 I definitely prefer the GMail app.

I like being able to access my labels and the two-way sync is a must for me.
    07-27-09 01:42 PM
    i like using it through BIS
    07-27-09 01:47 PM
    Phone, however the Gmail app is loaded if I need to search for stuff while I'm away from a PC on business...
    I'm the same way, usually BB is sufficient for most day to day reading and answering but sometimes i need stuff already archived or from pre BB days
    07-27-09 01:57 PM
    i use the gmail app
    07-27-09 01:58 PM
    This has nothing to do with that... they're just talking about whether they want to use the phone's own email software (as per OS) or download and use the Gmail app and use that instead. The latter alternative would give you the ability like having auto-complete when typing email addresses in the To: field, which the BB already does (but with its own contact list, and NOT the email addresses you have in Gmail) - although you can integrate the email addresses in your regular Contacts and whatever you have in Gmail with Google Sync

care to explain the google sync? Id love to move all my contacts from gmail into my BB

never mind. the trusty google website has cleared it up and my bb is syncing now

double edit -- now i have 1000 contacts
    Last edited by ehalperin; 07-27-09 at 02:32 PM.
    07-27-09 02:11 PM
    Phone for me. That's why I have a bb.
    07-27-09 02:49 PM
    I have both...mostly use the integrated account through BIS, but have the GMail app for searching since I delete from handheld same day mostly.

Biggest gripe for both BIS and App is that it would be helpful to be able to label e-mails (either through the App, or by have IMAP folders and moving to a folder)...COME ON GOOGLE...DO IT SOMETIME THIS DECADE.
    07-27-09 03:03 PM
    I use BIS on the phone.
    07-27-09 03:07 PM
    I'm the same way, usually BB is sufficient for most day to day reading and answering but sometimes i need stuff already archived or from pre BB days
    If that is your only need, then you just nee to use the search feature and set it to search the server and it will locate anything you have ever sent or received.
    07-27-09 03:10 PM
    I like for it to come to my device...
    07-27-09 03:17 PM
    i use both....they both have plus and minuses
    07-27-09 03:19 PM
    I use BIS on the phone to access Gmail. I have it set up to use imap. I prefer the look and feel of the Gmail app, but not being able to attach files to an email is a deal breaker for me. If they ever add that to th Gmail app, I'd switch immediately.
    07-27-09 03:41 PM
    I use BIS on the phone to access Gmail. I have it set up to use imap. I prefer the look and feel of the Gmail app, but not being able to attach files to an email is a deal breaker for me. If they ever add that to th Gmail app, I'd switch immediately.
    never mind
    Last edited by ehalperin; 07-28-09 at 06:20 AM.
    07-28-09 06:18 AM
    When you send a message thru the BB's mail client it doesn't come up in the Sent folder on Gmail??
    07-28-09 01:23 PM
    When you send a message thru the BB's mail client it doesn't come up in the Sent folder on Gmail??
    it does for me. I Just went back to my gmail and there are soem messages i sent that have the "sent from my verizon wireless blackberry"
    07-28-09 01:49 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD