Ok, I've searched through the CB forums and Googled the net and can't find a solution to the problem I'm having. I have a dark little blotch UNDERNEATH the screen. It isn't a scratch or dirt on the screen, but some kind of graphic defect. It is most evident on white screens (like when viewing SMS or emails) and is usually a black colour, but sometimes has a bluish tinge.

My Tour is just over a year old and a month out of warranty (isn't that the way it always happens?). Telus isn't budging on replacement, but is willing to meet me halfway on a new handset. I'd rather not replace the handset and was wondering if maybe there was a fix. I've looked into replacing the screen, which costs about $70. Is there reputable sources that people care to comment on? Is there anyway I can fix it without replacing the screen? Is it even the screen? I don't want to crack open my BB unless I can be relatively certain this can be fixed.

Should I even bother fixing it or just upgrade?
    10-13-10 09:02 PM
    10-13-10 09:09 PM
    Thanks! I'm going to check them out.
    10-13-10 09:12 PM
    I hadn't heard about the "dead pixel" LCD problem before I started experiencing it myself. My understanding is pixels get "stuck" in one colour and refuse to change with screen refreshes. My dead pixels were black (and occasionally turned blue) and randomly appeared a few weeks ago.

I've minimized the dead pixel problem on my Tour screen, cutting down on the size of the dead pixel area. My screen more legible and less annoying. The side effect: the dead pixel area although much smaller, has moved a bit. Instead of a big blob in the bottom right quadrant of the screen, it is now spread out and now consists of small dots and very thin vertical lines closer to the middle top of the screen. It no longer obscures any major text areas.

Here's what I did:
    1. Run this video . This video rapidly flashes different colours on your screen, which is supposed to revive dead pixels. I also turned my screen brightness to 100 to maximize the effect.
    2. I rubbed the screen in the area of the dead pixels. I actually used quite a bit of pressure.
    3. Repeat several times.

Caveats:
    1. While this worked for me, I can't promise this will work for you. My screen isn't 100% clear. YMMV
    2. I can't be held responsible for what happens to your screen. All I can say is it improved my screen and reduced the area/size of dead pixels.
    10-18-10 10:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD