I am looking at getting a Tour in the next day or two and am buying it for Verizon but through Best Buy Mobile online because of the price of $99 and would like to know if there are any problems with it, hopefully none, can I take it to Verizon and get a replacement or is it through the company that Best Buy contracts?
    08-19-09 01:28 AM
    There are small problems. CB is loaded with people saying there are problems. If only there wer "I love my Tour!" threads. It is a great phone, go for it
    08-19-09 01:31 AM
    Well, that I know, since I have been reading about the phone since before it came out till now but was just curious on the Best Buy Mobile return policy if I did get a lemon.
    08-19-09 01:33 AM
    Regardless of anything, you have 30 days to return or exchange anything at best buy for any reason. Though they will really get defensive if you do it more than 2 or 3 times because everytime you get a new phone, your PIN is logged etc...
    08-19-09 01:51 AM
    I have had one for a couple days now, Tour that is, and haven't hated it. Every so often it locks up for a second or two, but I think that might be viigo running in background. That said, I am a new BB user so unless it was freezing or locking up constantly I wouldnt be aware of less subtle issues.
    08-19-09 02:00 AM
    Except for the legit trackball problems, I don't see any reason for complaints regarding the BlackBerry Tour. A lot of the complaints not related to the trackball can be fixed by A: not touching the screen, and B: put tape on the battery door. Throw in the replacement guarantee and the question becomes, why not?

I have had one for a couple days now, Tour that is, and haven't hated it. Every so often it locks up for a second or two, but I think that might be viigo running in background. That said, I am a new BB user so unless it was freezing or locking up constantly I wouldnt be aware of less subtle issues.
    After installing irtehun's hybrid I have absolutely no problems with my Tour, and it runs insanely fast (most free memory I've had was 139.1 MB). I also use Viigo Lite, which is an older but lighter version of Viigo as it's a simple RSS reader without the "bells and whistles" of Mango Tango aka 3.0+. Try it out!
    08-19-09 02:25 AM
    Except for the legit trackball problems, I don't see any reason for complaints regarding the BlackBerry Tour. A lot of the complaints not related to the trackball can be fixed by A: not touching the screen, and B: put tape on the battery door. Throw in the replacement guarantee and the question becomes, why not?

After installing irtehun's hybrid I have absolutely no problems with my Tour, and it runs insanely fast (most free memory I've had was 139.1 MB). I also use Viigo Lite, which is an older but lighter version of Viigo as it's a simple RSS reader without the "bells and whistles" of Mango Tango aka 3.0+. Try it out!
    Screen ripple is normal because of the sensitive LCD being so close to the lens, unless it is unbearable or happens when you press the home buttons on the front, but if you have to freaking tape your battery covers, then there is a problem lol and you should get it replaced. But loose battery doors have been around as long as the the new blackberrys have. It's due to RIM making new ones all the time insead of sticking with one design that works great.
    08-19-09 02:38 AM
    Got one the day it came out (VZW rep owed me a BIG favor). Used it for almost 2 weeks, then dumped it and went back to my Storm. It is nice, but 4.7 OS is 4.7 OS. The Storm is not a good phone for those with high blood pressure, lack of technical skill, or patience. The Tour is a good phone for Noobs and looks and acts just like every other BlackBerry other than the Tour IMO. I found myself constantly trying to click the screen and getting frustrated with the Tour. If I want something on the main menu of my Storm, I just click it. The best way I can describe it for me at least, is the Storm feels more 'fluid' moving around through the OS. Not necessarily the transitions themselves, but the overall concept of clicking the screen seems so much smoother and more intuitive to me. Just my $0.02.
    08-19-09 03:07 AM
    Got one the day it came out (VZW rep owed me a BIG favor). Used it for almost 2 weeks, then dumped it and went back to my Storm. It is nice, but 4.7 OS is 4.7 OS. The Storm is not a good phone for those with high blood pressure, lack of technical skill, or patience. The Tour is a good phone for Noobs and looks and acts just like every other BlackBerry other than the Tour IMO. I found myself constantly trying to click the screen and getting frustrated with the Tour. If I want something on the main menu of my Storm, I just click it. The best way I can describe it for me at least, is the Storm feels more 'fluid' moving around through the OS. Not necessarily the transitions themselves, but the overall concept of clicking the screen seems so much smoother and more intuitive to me. Just my $0.02.
    Funny... for most blackberry users out there who have been using the devices for years, it comes as a complete shock to click screens and move your finger around to navigate or click open apps/programs. The Storm 2 looks amazing though.

I'd say the Storm is the real phone for n00bs... I mean its clearly marketed towards capturing the young "demographic" who chose the iphone etc... Most business executives, power users choose the bold and now tour.
    08-19-09 03:13 AM
    I'd say the Storm is the real phone for n00bs... I mean its clearly marketed towards capturing the young "demographic" who chose the iphone etc... Most business executives, power users choose the bold and now tour.
    Although I do agree that the Storm was prominently directed towards a younger audienace, I disagree with you about them not being attractive to business execs. I am the president of my company and I have both a Tour and a Storm but prefer the Storm. And the majority of CEO's and President's I know who are on Verizon have Storms and are staying with them.

As a gross generalization, most executives like shiny toys, and the Storm is definitely that. It has that, "look at me, I get paid more than you do and am therefor more important" look to it while not having the stigma of it just being a toy attached to it like the iPhone does in the business world (Disclaimer:IMO).

And if you are on Sprint (but not the Nextel side of Sprint) or VZW, the Tour is the first 4.7 OS based device with a full keyboard that has been an option (and the Nextel Curve sucks anyways). Most business users especially are not going to switch carriers just based on the availability or lack thereof of a single device, especially on a multi-line account.

My preference to the Storm comes from a Human Factors analysis. It is human nature to want to grab for or try and touch something we want. Touch screen devices play off of this intuition and IMO make the process more fluid, i.e. See it, grab it. If you have to reach for a can of soup in the kitchen cupboard, do you reach in, then down, then left, then over to pick it up (like one of the claw arcade games with the toys inside), or do you just reach right for it? Our nature is to reach right for it. I had a tough time adjusting to the Storm at first because my brain was so trained to scrolling up/down and left/right from using other BlackBerry's to get what I wanted, but once I adjusted, I have found it to be much easier to nagivate around in than the older trackball BlackBerries. But that is just my experience and everyone is different.
    08-19-09 03:46 AM
    Although I do agree that the Storm was prominently directed towards a younger audienace, I disagree with you about them not being attractive to business execs. I am the president of my company and I have both a Tour and a Storm but prefer the Storm. And the majority of CEO's and President's I know who are on Verizon have Storms and are staying with them.

As a gross generalization, most executives like shiny toys, and the Storm is definitely that. It has that, "look at me, I get paid more than you do and am therefor more important" look to it while not having the stigma of it just being a toy attached to it like the iPhone does in the business world (Disclaimer:IMO).

And if you are on Sprint (but not the Nextel side of Sprint) or VZW, the Tour is the first 4.7 OS based device with a full keyboard that has been an option (and the Nextel Curve sucks anyways). Most business users especially are not going to switch carriers just based on the availability or lack thereof of a single device, especially on a multi-line account.

My preference to the Storm comes from a Human Factors analysis. It is human nature to want to grab for or try and touch something we want. Touch screen devices play off of this intuition and IMO make the process more fluid, i.e. See it, grab it. If you have to reach for a can of soup in the kitchen cupboard, do you reach in, then down, then left, then over to pick it up (like one of the claw arcade games with the toys inside), or do you just reach right for it? Our nature is to reach right for it. I had a tough time adjusting to the Storm at first because my brain was so trained to scrolling up/down and left/right from using other BlackBerry's to get what I wanted, but once I adjusted, I have found it to be much easier to nagivate around in than the older trackball BlackBerries. But that is just my experience and everyone is different.
    True... But I was basing my generalization on RIM executives and the bosses at the building I work in who are mostly using Bold's and Tours. It is second nature to want to touch something, but to press a button has been our nature for the past 100 years. From televisions, to phones, to microwaves, to cars, to electronics etc... We'd much rather press a key in, then stroke our finger over a touch-sensitive object etc...

OS 4.7 isn't much different than 4.6 which is what Curve 8900 and Bold users own. And in a few months, the official releases of OS 5.0 will release fore most devices to coincide with the launch of the Onyx which runs OS 5.0

Also, add that most executives, CEO's and people have been most likely using blackberrys since the past 4-5 years and so are used to pressing buttons. I doubt that executives that were so used to the 88-series blackberry switched over to the Storm. I'm generalizing but I'm sure most will switch to the Tour now.
    08-19-09 03:52 AM
    Screen ripple is normal because of the sensitive LCD being so close to the lens, unless it is unbearable or happens when you press the home buttons on the front, but if you have to freaking tape your battery covers, then there is a problem lol and you should get it replaced. But loose battery doors have been around as long as the the new blackberrys have. It's due to RIM making new ones all the time insead of sticking with one design that works great.
    My battery door comment was directed to the ones that had it jiggling around a little bit, not ones needing obvious help. :P All they'd have to do was fold over a piece of tape (electrical, preferably) and attach it to the inside and it should be enough to keep the cover from being a nuisance.
    08-19-09 04:18 AM
    Give it a chance I'm on my 2nd, but I still love it! Besides you have 30 days to return it if you don't like it!
    08-19-09 04:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD