So, like many others on this forum, I'm having issues with my trackball. I had them when I first got my replacement, and then they seemed to disappear for about a week, but now they're back and it seems like it's getting worse. My question is that if this continues past my 30 day period, will I still be able to go into Verizon to get the trackball itself replaced since it's in the 1 year period?

When I took my first phone in (for the same issue) they first asked around to see if they had any spare trackballs, but they didn't so they issued me a new phone. When do the stores start getting spare trackballs, and when they get them are they just the trackball itself or the whole enclosure?

Any help would be appreciated!
    08-04-09 07:43 AM
    I preferred the engineering design of the curve and pearl... you could 'easily' remove the trackball and clean it..
    08-04-09 08:02 AM
    Is the trackball on the Tour not easy to remove? I haven't tried it, and I'm really not sure I want to...
    08-04-09 08:37 AM
    I was wondering the same.

I had mine replaced yesterday and not only is the trackball better, the keyboard is smoother we all and there isn't the delay anymore when I switch apps and I don't get the rainbow bar. Oh, and the back is tighter. It's still minutely loose but it was nothing 1 post it couldn't remedy and it really wasn't very noticeable. It just feels more solid with the post it.
    08-04-09 08:49 AM
    Is the trackball on the Tour not easy to remove? I haven't tried it, and I'm really not sure I want to...
    In order to remove the trackball on the Tour you need to take the whole phone apart. You can't just pop off the bezel surrounding the trackball like you could on the Curve, Pearl, etc.
    08-04-09 08:52 AM
    You can do it but its not as easy as on the older BB's with the trackball ring that easily pops out allowing the trackball to come out.

A few people have made some minor mods all ready though so it can be done. I would search you tube or on here for a video. That should give you an idea as to if it is something that you feel you can do yourself.
    08-04-09 08:53 AM
    I'm not willing to take the whole phone apart, and it scares me if that's what the VZW folks are going to have to do to replace the trackball.

I just don't know what to do with this thing. When I first got it, the trackball got stuck up by something, but I pressed down on it hard and it loosened it up enough for me to use it perfectly. Only Saturday did it start to really act up again, and now it's almost as bad as when I first got it. I was hoping that I could push down hard on it again to loosen whatever it is up again, but it's not working. I physically feel the trackball not connecting to the rollers, and sometimes when it does connect I feel a "bump" as I scroll right. Not sure what that means, but it makes it feel like there's something gumming up the works.

The only thing I'm seeing though, and EVERYONE on the forum is saying this, is that it's only the left-to-right movement. Everything else is fine. It really seems like a defect if significant amount of people are seeing left-to-right movement being messed up.
    08-04-09 09:02 AM
    So take your phone into verizon and get it replaced!????
    08-04-09 09:05 AM
    I already have. The issue is that if it happens after August 12 (the date I purchased the Tour), I'm stuck with what I have unless I want a refurbed one.
    08-04-09 09:25 AM
    I'm pretty sure they will replace it after the 30 days. It has a year warranty with it. I would swapem till it was right.
    08-04-09 10:08 AM
    I belive the 30 days is the worry free return policy. After that you get warranty replacements. Yah I know you might get a refurb but, a working refurb is better than a new broken phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 10:41 AM
    Are your issues with the trackball "physical" or software? Because I had the left-to-right issues as well, but my physical trackball was never stuck, just the cursor.

It mostly happened at the home screen. The instant I opened up the browser, the cursor became instantly responsive.

If that's the same problem you guys are having, I'm pretty certain it's software. I haven't done a thing to my trackball, but ever since installing the hybrid 4.1, my trackball never gets stuck.
    08-04-09 10:55 AM
    My first phone might have been software. My new one is DEFINITELY hardware related. I feel actually feel it slide without making contact, and I can feel a "bump" when I roll it to the right. I thnk something might be stuck on the roller or something like that, but nothing I do loosens it up.
    08-04-09 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD