I have a customer with a Tour 9630 on Verizon Wireless. Anytime he enables the geotagging under the camera options it doesn't work. Location on setting is enabled. The camera always shows a gps symbol with a red X.

Can anyone help me out and/or having this problem??
    02-18-10 02:16 PM
    I have this issue from time to time on my Tour, but I am on a different provider. I thought I faintly remember Verizon customers complaining of the GPS not working, that it was purposely disabled. Ah, maybe I'm just dreaming...

Anyway, try this idea:

Whenever I take a picture outdoors...if I turn on the camera & immediately take the picture, the geotag will never work. Ever. On the other hand, if I turn on the camera, take a few steps in this direction, go back over there...something to take maybe 10 seconds of time for the satellites to acquire, then take the picture, then the geotag works every time. Even indoors it will work if I wait for that amount of time. That's because of cell tower triangulation in the last scenario, or assisted GPS if you will.
    02-18-10 02:45 PM
    I have a customer with a Tour 9630 on Verizon Wireless. Anytime he enables the geotagging under the camera options it doesn't work. Location on setting is enabled. The camera always shows a gps symbol with a red X.

Can anyone help me out and/or having this problem??
    The GPS on a Verizon 9630 is fully functional. You do have to be outdoors with a reasonably clear view of the sky for it to work. As the previous poster noted, it may be necessary to wait a few seconds for the GPS to lock on the constellation and calculate a position. Ask the customer to try using BBMaps in Nav mode. If BBMaps is seeing the satellites, the geotagging function should also.
    02-18-10 02:50 PM
    The geotagging seems to be finicky at best for me. It works when I take a pic, but when I move 2 steps away and take a pic within 1 min. it doesn't work anymore

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 04:27 PM
    The only was I can get the geotag indicator to not show red an my Tour is to launch Google Maps first, then launch the camera.
    02-18-10 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD