New Tour owner here. Build date of 27July09. Trackball, screen, and battery life seem fine.

My issue is sometimes when I hit the "dots" button expecting to see a context menu or the application list screen, what I get instead is the running apps/"switch to" display as if I pressed Alt+ESC button.

So what I'm trying to verify is whether my phone is defective/need to be exchanged? I'm still within the first 30 days so can exchange for new one if it is infact broken.

Thanks everybody.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 07:42 AM
    Your probably holding down the button for too long. Just press the button quickly to bring up the menu/list of apps.

09-12-09 07:45 AM
    Go to Options > Screen/Keyboard and change the 'key rate' to slow. That should help.

BTW that called the "menu button"
    09-12-09 07:50 AM
    Has holding the menu button down always made the app switcher come up on all BB's or is that new? Had never experienced it on my old Curve, so I just wasn't sure if it was normal behavior or broken.

I just like Dots button better than the menu button. Haha.

09-12-09 07:55 AM
    Go to Options > Screen/Keyboard and change the 'key rate' to slow. That should help.

Also called the" BlackBerry button" and is commonly referred to as the "BB key" when describing it in txt. Just to add to your explanation.

09-12-09 08:00 AM
    Also called the" BlackBerry button" and is commonly referred to as the "BB key" when describing it in txt. Just to add to your explanation.

isn't it called the menu key?
    09-12-09 08:42 AM
    Ok, I get the point with the menu/"dots"/bb button naming, but can we answer the question "when did the feature of holding menu button to get to app switcher appear first?"

09-12-09 08:50 AM
    isn't it called the menu key?
    Yes, but it's also referred to as the BlackBerry button or BB key due to the fact that it has the BlackBerry logo on it. It all comes down to personal preference really. I call it all three but I only refer to it as BB key in text because it's quicker to type.

09-12-09 08:51 AM
    Ok, I get the point with the menu/"dots"/bb button naming, but can we answer the question "when did the feature of holding menu button to get to app switcher appear first?"

I think with the storm running OS 4.7.0.xxx but don't quote me on that. Lol.

09-12-09 08:54 AM
    I think with the storm running OS 4.7.0.xxx but don't quote me on that. Lol.

+1. it is builds 4.7 and higher
    09-12-09 08:57 AM
    Ok thanks guys, you have eased my fears of the thing b
    eing broken.

Have great day.

09-12-09 08:59 AM
    Works on the 8520 with 4.6.1.286 as well.
    Ya. I know it doesn't work on 4.5 or lower cause I've tried it on my 8130 and my brother's 8330 and no dice.

09-12-09 06:15 PM
    Yes I understand this holding-MENU-opens-App-Switcher function started w OS 4.6, i.e. The Bold.

09-12-09 07:45 PM
    Also new to 4.6/4.7 OS's is using MENU to select a menu option. Click MENU, scroll to your selection (or press the corresponding 1st letter on keyboard), and you can click MENU again to select.

On 4.5 and previous, pressing MENU again would just close that menu.

09-12-09 07:48 PM
    Has holding the menu button down always made the app switcher come up on all BB's or is that new? Had never experienced it on my old Curve, so I just wasn't sure if it was normal behavior or broken.

I just like Dots button better than the menu button. Haha.

Hitting the BB button on older BB's did not bring up the running apps.
    09-12-09 08:05 PM
    From now on, for the rest of time, the blackberry button shall be called "the dots button"

I love it.
    09-12-09 08:11 PM
    Hitting the BB button on older BB's did not bring up the running apps.
    Works on all devices running OS 4.6-4.7 such as Bold, Storm, 8900 Curve, Tour, and 8520.

09-14-09 03:51 PM
    I call it the berry button as I think it sounds better than calling it the menu button.

09-14-09 07:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD