It's unusual but I'm now in a bind with my network coverage and need to force my phone to roam. I used to have a local tower on a partner network that would cover me but it has just changed hands. My phone is generally worthless in my small town area because it is constantly trying to connect with a dedicated tower in the next town over. I now have to "turn-off-on and try to catch the first strong towers" to get out on a call. If I want to check my messages, I have to walk to find a complete dead spot so it will roam. Really, the only time it works well is when I'm traveling through airports once a month. Anyone know of any apps or hacks that work? Searching around, all I find is a now defunct setting that used to allow "roam only" network selection. I explained the problem to Sprint who got me to update the PRL but couldn't help me after that (other than suggesting Airave that would work in the vacinity of my house). I'll probably be changing carriers in the near future but would like to hold-off on paying the ETF as long as possible. I would have thought that they'd offer to let me out of my contract but they did not so I guess I'll play the game. Any ideas?
    09-19-09 08:22 PM
    There is no way to force roaming on Tour. You could get a non-Blackberry phone (such as a Palm Centro or 755p) which can be forced to roam, but other than switching carriers or putting a T-mobile pay-as-you go SIM card in your Tour and using it instead until your contract is up, you are SOL. You could also try upgrading your BB OS to the leaked 5.0.0.230 (seems .230 has a radio that allows for better/stronger signal) and see whether it works better for you.
    Last edited by dohturdima; 10-12-09 at 11:46 AM.
    10-12-09 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD