Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Unhappy Flashing Lightning Bolt on Battery Icon

My usual routine is come home, plug in my BBerry, and half an hour later, full charge.

Tonight, I plugged the phone in with the original wall charger and noticed that the lightning bolt on the battery icon is flashing, even though the phone is plugged in. I tried a battery pull and retried it; same thing. I have now plugged my phone into the USB port in my computer...and the lightning bolt is still flashing over the battery, and no...the battery is NOT charging. I tried another battery pull again, this time waiting 2 minutes...and nope, it's still not charging. And the phone keeps connecting/disconnecting from the computer, even though I'm not touching it. I looked at the USB port on the phone, and it looks fine. I'm super-careful with my phone, always babying it...so I don't get it.

What the heck? I've never had so much trouble with a phone in my life. BBerry is so unreliable.

Still, since I'm stuck with it for now...can someone help me fix this, please?

Edited to Add: When plugged into my computer, Desktop Manager reads the phone just fine, so why is the battery not charging and the lightning bolt continuing to flash??
    Last edited by HollyDay; 11-29-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    CrackBerry's Sour Grape

Global Posts
    7,201 Global Posts

Have you tried a different battery?
    I would go to your local shop and see if they have a battery you can test kicking around.

If your computer is reading it, the port should be fine.

On my old pearl, I used to have to only put the charger in 75%

I would also try putting the charger in only like 90%, 80% or other denominations.

Good luck
    BIG UP BIG UP, ITS A STICK UP STICK UP
    @Fubaz
    Editor for BerryReview @BerryReview

Global Posts
    32,019 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

By chance did you just recently update to OS 9630/5.0.0.983? This is one of the more common screwball issues I've seen reported with this OS. I don't get a bolt at all when I charge, but it does charge up, as I check my meter app icon from time to time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Fubaz View Post
    Have you tried a different battery?
    I would go to your local shop and see if they have a battery you can test kicking around.

If your computer is reading it, the port should be fine.

On my old pearl, I used to have to only put the charger in 75%

I would also try putting the charger in only like 90%, 80% or other denominations.

Good luck
    I'll go to a store to try another battery. At the moment, I'm also doing a clean install on the OS...I mean, this is weird, out of nowhere it stops charging.

And if it's not another battery that will solve the problem, what then?

Thanks for the input.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing View Post
    By chance did you just recently update to OS 9630/5.0.0.983? This is one of the more common screwball issues I've seen reported with this OS. I don't get a bolt at all when I charge, but it does charge up, as I check my meter app icon from time to time.

If that's the latest OS, then yes..but that was a week or so back. However, I've been getting the solid lightning bolt charging, but today it's flashing (that's why I noticed it). Plus, it's not charging the battery...though as stated above, computer connects to the BBerry just fine.

So I don't now what the heck happened...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

UPDATE: After a complete reinstall of the OS (5.0.0.983, Bundle 1631)...the lightning bolt continues to flash and the phone is not charging.

And just checked "Status" under options and battery will not charge above 75%...been there for over an hour.
    Last edited by HollyDay; 11-29-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Global Posts
    32,019 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

Ok, that does sound like a battery issue. There is a monitor chip internal to the battery, and either you've had a cell fail or the chip may have gotten zapped. That circuitry is vital to the charging system, and I've been able to get the carrier service center to replace a failed battery at no charge 3 times now, so it's worth looking into.
    Tour batteries are also available for less than $4 on Amazon.com with free shipping, and I've had good luck wIth the vendor CellLounge through them. Good D-X1 batteries, not remanufactured or knockoffs.

Last edited by BergerKing; 11-29-2010 at 10:51 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Ok, that does sound like a battery issue. There is a monitor chip internal to the battery, and either you've had a cell fail or the chip may have gotten zapped. That circuitry is vital to the charging system, and I've been able to get the carrier service center to replace a failed battery at no charge 3 times now, so it's worth looking into.

Thank you...but what you said was slightly a bit too technical to me. So you think it's a battery issue and it needs to be replaced, or...?

I haven't done a thing different with the phone and I'm very careful with it, never dropped it, etc. So do I just go to Sprint and ask them to replace the battery?

Global Posts
    32,019 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

If the Sprint Store has a repair/Service Center in it, they will test the battery and should replace it at no cost to you, if it has failed. I've done this 3 times now, as I wear out batteries in a few months' time. If your local store doesn't have one, they can usually direct you to a store that does.

Thanked by:
    HollyDolly (11-29-2010) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

If the Sprint Store has a repair/Service Center in it, they will test the battery and should replace it at no cost to you, if it has failed. I've done this 3 times now, as I wear out batteries in a few months' time. If your local store doesn't have one, they can usually direct you to a store that does.

The local store does have a repair center (though I hear it's awful). I've had my Tour for 1.5 miserable years of constant problems (and exchanges of the device, 2x).

Thank you - I'll go into Sprint and see if they can test my battery. By the way, an hour LATER, my battery charge has gone up to 85% (it's now 3 hours of charging) and the lightning bolt is flashing still. So weird.

I'll update what happens.

Thanks again, all.

Global Posts
    32,019 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

Yeah, I've seen folks that have had a few problems with the Tour. Fortunately, I've been able to correct the few minor issues I've had with mine, which has been a gem as far as Tours go. But if your Tour has been erratic just recently, and battery has just started acting up, I would look at that as the culprit, especially since you wiped and reloaded.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Yeah, I've seen folks that have had a few problems with the Tour. Fortunately, I've been able to correct the few minor issues I've had with mine, which has been a gem as far as Tours go. But if your Tour has been erratic just recently, and battery has just started acting up, I would look at that as the culprit, especially since you wiped and reloaded.

I'll definitely try your suggestion. Thank you so much!

Global Posts
    32,019 Global Posts
    PIN
    By request.

One last thing to check is make sure your contacts where you plug in the charger haven't picked up a ball of lint or other debris that is interfering with the contacts. That has happened before, and caused issue with charging.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

One last thing to check is make sure your contacts where you plug in the charger haven't picked up a ball of lint or other debris that is interfering with the contacts. That has happened before, and caused issue with charging.

I usually clean my BBerry with the compressed air cans, and will make sure to do so with the USB port. Thanks.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default lightening bolt flashing on battery icon!

I have had the same problem tonight. I have plugged my phone into the computer and the lightening bolt on my battery icon is flashing! has never done this before! It is not charging! I just did a recent software up date..I am super careful with my phone also! I just got it!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I recently starting getting the flashing bolt on mine a few weeks ago but the phone still charges. It's weird because the bolt was solid before.
    CrackBerry User

After my 1st 9630 went out I got another one. I noticed the flashing bolt on the newer one. When its charging the lightning bolt is flashing. Its normal.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I read that is you upgraded your OS that this is a new feature on it...the bolt now flashes when charging. I didn't notice before because I usually turn the phone off at night to charge it. This morning I looked at my phone and it said I had full charge which I thought was weird bc I knew I didn't. Then hours last it was red and almost dead. Went to charge it while on and it started to flash...got a little worried until I came on here and res some forums. Either way...this phone has quite the glitches and I'm guessing when it's renew time bb is going to lose me :/ Which is sad since I've used bb's for 5 years or so...