Yeap... love my BB Tour...but have been experiencing problem with the trackball - it's not moving in a certain direction at times. I am just hoping that the track sensor is stuck with something. Anyone knows how to open up the trackball and clean the sensor? I remember doing this with the trackball for the PC mouse back in the old days.

Else, hate to send the phone back to Sprint to get fixed.

Thanks in advance.
    08-04-09 03:20 PM
    Yeap... love my BB Tour...but have been experiencing problem with the trackball - it's not moving in a certain direction at times. I am just hoping that the track sensor is stuck with something. Anyone knows how to open up the trackball and clean the sensor? I remember doing this with the trackball for the PC mouse back in the old days.

Else, hate to send the phone back to Sprint to get fixed.

Thanks in advance.
    I think this is the issue i occasionally have. Normally when i scroll i can feel the little wheels or whatever move or click. Sometimes when i move my finger it doesn't seem like the ball moves at all. I dont feel or hear it like i normally do. Its like i dont have any traction on the ball.

Is this the same issue as others are having? When the ball moves i always get scrolling on screen. It is never non responsive, just non moving (or so it seems).
    08-04-09 03:33 PM
    I Got My Tour Replaced No Problem When I Took To Sprint! The Trackball Was Not Very Responsive..
    08-04-09 04:07 PM
    If you have to adjust the sensitivity higher that 70% then your device is defective! You shouldn't have to 'feather' the trackball. Take it Back!!
    Get one made in CANADA!
    My trackball lags at 70% but works perfect at 90%. Interestingly, the trackball runs smoothly on the browser at 70% but lags on the home screen and when running a test. This leads me to believe that it's a software issue, and I'm hesitant to return my Tour being that it has no other problems. Thoughts?
    08-04-09 04:36 PM
    How do you like your tour? I am a Verizon customer and can't decide whether I should get the Tour or wait for the Storm 2.
    08-04-09 04:44 PM
    I think this is the issue i occasionally have. Normally when i scroll i can feel the little wheels or whatever move or click. Sometimes when i move my finger it doesn't seem like the ball moves at all. I dont feel or hear it like i normally do. Its like i dont have any traction on the ball.

Is this the same issue as others are having? When the ball moves i always get scrolling on screen. It is never non responsive, just non moving (or so it seems).
    Mine wasn't about the sensitivity...it's clearly that the trackball is NOT moving. I initially thought that the dry skin on my thumb wasn't making traction with the trackball therefore the ball couldn't roll. But after a few experiments...it's definitely the trackball not being responsive to the roll (it just physically stuck in a certain position). Hate to turn it over the Sprint tech - they may damage it more! :-(
    08-04-09 08:17 PM
    I initially thought that the dry skin on my thumb wasn't making traction with the trackball therefore the ball couldn't roll.
    Same thought process that i had.
    08-05-09 06:35 AM
    I think the trackballs ARE rolling, but the problem is they're not making contact with the rollers inside the phone, so they're just spinning and doing nothing. It helps if I press down on the trackball a little, but that just gets annoying.

It seems there are two different problems with the trackballs:

1. The trackball physically spins fine. However, there seems to be "lag" with the trackball on the screen. "Feathering" the trackball seems to help with this problem.

2. The trackball gets physically stuck, or it spins but doesn't catch the rollers. An opposite to the first problem, what helps with this is applying pressure while rolling the trackball around.

My first Tour (Canada-1) had the first problem, whereas my current one (Mexico-5) has the second. I'm not sure which is more preferable.
    08-05-09 08:16 AM
    my trackball on the tour is so annoying, so it's being returned. going back to my 8830 and waiting for the storm 2. so sad!
    08-11-09 12:04 AM
    I just called verizon customer service and I am one day outside of the 30 day worry free, but they said that there is a known issue with the roller ball and that a correction has been made. The ship date for the corrected phones was sometime in August I believe. But since it is a known issue that a swap can be done no problem. I hope this helps some people... This is my first BB and I have to say I love it but was sorely upset when this started happening.
    I do however need to know what is involved in a phone swap and switching over pictures, apps and other things since I have never had to do this before.

Thank you for helping a newb out =D

UPDATE:
    New trackball issue phones shipped 8/21/09
    New camera in phone shipping 8/24/09
    Last edited by cm4blynmb; 08-28-09 at 09:29 AM.
    08-28-09 08:18 AM
    For switching you can use the Switch Wizard in Desktop Manager. BUT... it does not always move your 3rd party apps and/or registration info. I don't know about pictures and such - you might want to hook up to your computer and copy those manually to the desktop computer and restore later - or if on the card, those are NOT backed up but should survive moving to another device.
    08-28-09 09:09 AM
    Thank you so much! I have a mac at home so I will have to switch over to PC side and try and figure all this out since they might be shipping me a new one now instead of going to the store sice the store guy swears it is a software issue... I think he just didn't wanna come off a tour lol!
    08-28-09 09:30 AM
    Trackball issue truly resolved! Just to add to the resolution of this issue... After going through 5 Tours (between 2 of us here at my office) that had the trackball issues, and reading the forums about the newly shipped Tours with fixed trackballs (noted by the green sticker on the box), I got my hands on one of these. I've had it for over a week with zero issues. I spoke to a Verizon rep and he read the inner office email to me. It basically said that the issue is known and resolved with this new batch of Tours. MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE WITH THE GREEN "DOT" STICKER ON THE BOX. It seems to be true. Hope this helps some of you, as I was getting really bummed about the issue and had resorted back to the Curve until getting the latest Tour. Glad to see this was fixed!
    09-04-09 03:39 PM
    just got a tour 3 days ago. thinking of returning it simply because of the trackball. it SUCKS! and mine actually freezes up.....otherwise i love the device.
    09-15-09 03:02 PM
    What does the new trackball feel like? Does it feel and sound like my curve did?
    09-15-09 04:18 PM
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's an issue of the trackball making contact with the rollers. You can actually feel when it's hitting the rollers because you get a slight sensation of tacticity as you roll. But when it's not making contact, it's just smooth rolling only. You can feel that there's no resistance created from the rollers under the trackball.

Mine only seems to do it periodically on the upper rollers. I sorta punch the trackball in a few times, and it'll finally start catching again. To me it seems like the rollers are getting stuck in the "away" position and you have to jar the loose so they jump back down to the proper spot.

Truly annoying. Wonder if Verizon has this problem documented?
    09-15-09 07:50 PM
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's an issue of the trackball making contact with the rollers. You can actually feel when it's hitting the rollers because you get a slight sensation of tacticity as you roll. But when it's not making contact, it's just smooth rolling only. You can feel that there's no resistance created from the rollers under the trackball.

Mine only seems to do it periodically on the upper rollers. I sorta punch the trackball in a few times, and it'll finally start catching again. To me it seems like the rollers are getting stuck in the "away" position and you have to jar the loose so they jump back down to the proper spot.

Truly annoying. Wonder if Verizon has this problem documented?
    this problem has already been fixed in all devices with a 8/3/09 buld date or later
    09-15-09 11:19 PM
    What does the new trackball feel like? Does it feel and sound like my curve did?
    it feels feathery...it feels awesome !

all trackball issues have been fixed after 8/3

keep in mind that when u look on ure box for the build date...it is in day/month/year...not month/day/year as we are used to
    09-15-09 11:20 PM
    Blackberry is well aware of the problem and has narrowed it down to the plant it was made at. I just got my phone 20 days ago and I have the problem. I tried to go directly to a Sprint store, who can just swap the phone out for one that wasn't made in Mexico, but since it's under 30 days, I have to go to Best Buy and who knows where that phone will have come from.

If you did purchase from them, make sure you bring the box and the receipt.
    09-26-09 06:13 PM
    Blackberry is well aware of the problem and has narrowed it down to the plant it was made at. I just got my phone 20 days ago and I have the problem. I tried to go directly to a Sprint store, who can just swap the phone out for one that wasn't made in Mexico, but since it's under 30 days, I have to go to Best Buy and who knows where that phone will have come from.

If you did purchase from them, make sure you bring the box and the receipt.
    Welcome to crackberry!

are you incorrect though. All plants either made in Mexico or in Canada had bad trackballs when the phone was released. RIM has already corrected the problem with the trackballs.
    09-26-09 06:53 PM
    Yea i love the tour it's my baby but the trackball is faulty horizontally for most people! Im bringing it back to the sprint store tomorrow to see if i can get it fixed or replaced but great phone!
    01-28-10 09:48 PM
121 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD