Showed up in a brown box. Says FRU on the label inside. If I remember right that means that it is a refurb.

I paid full price to have a refub unit?

And they shipped to the wrong address..

now what?
    08-12-09 03:24 PM
    Um. Maybe call them?
    08-12-09 03:28 PM
    Um. Maybe call them?
    Um okay

Trying to see if other people feel I should not have a refurb
    08-12-09 03:30 PM
    Sometimes new replacements do come in plain boxes. Def call them to verify.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 03:32 PM
    Its a refurb where you with in your 30 days?

08-12-09 03:36 PM
    Its a refurb where you with in your 30 days?

Yeah they sent it out on my 29th day I think
    08-12-09 03:40 PM
    Sometimes refurb units are better than new. Obviously you had a new device that didn't work out. Perhaps this one will be better.

08-12-09 03:40 PM
    FRU means Field Replacement Unit not a refurbish. Also if it came in a brown cardboard box with plastic wrap around it then it is a new unit. The only difference is they didn't send you a whole new box. If they sent you a new box you would have to send back a charger, cables, ect... that came in your first box. With the brown box all you send back is the phone. Keep your batter, micro sd card and some times even your battery door.

Turn it on, power it up and test it out. If its fishy by all means ask them to send you another one, but if it was a refurbish unit it then it comes in a long rectangle white box that says certified on it.

Best of luck

EDIT

you can also take it into your local store and ask for a new phone since your in your thirty days.
    08-12-09 03:41 PM
    FRU means Field Replacement Unit not a refurbish. Also if it came in a brown cardboard box with plastic wrap around it then it is a new unit. The only difference is they didn't send you a whole new box. If they sent you a new box you would have to send back a charger, cables, ect... that came in your first box. With the brown box all you send back is the phone. Keep your batter, micro sd card and some times even your battery door.

Turn it on, power it up and test it out. If its fishy by all means ask them to send you another one, but if it was a refurbish unit it then it comes in a long rectangle white box that says certified on it.

Best of luck

EDIT

you can also take it into your local store and ask for a new phone since your in your thirty days.
    Thank you for your reply. You are positive its not a refurb?

Also how do I know if I get to keep my battery door
    08-12-09 03:45 PM
    When the device is booted up, go to Options, About. Scroll down a bit - you will see a line that says "Refurbished: " and will have a Y/N indication. If Y, a date should be listed. Hope this helps.

08-12-09 04:13 PM
    When the device is booted up, go to Options, About. Scroll down a bit - you will see a line that says "Refurbished: " and will have a Y/N indication. If Y, a date should be listed. Hope this helps.

I checked that in both my old and new phone and I do not see the word refurbished anywhere..
    08-12-09 04:14 PM
    Should be right underneath the line: "Micro Edition Location Version"

08-12-09 08:59 PM
    Should be right underneath the line: "Micro Edition Location Version"

Nope, mine says "blackberry.com"
    08-12-09 09:03 PM
    Showed up in a brown box. Says FRU on the label inside. If I remember right that means that it is a refurb.

I paid full price to have a refub unit?

And they shipped to the wrong address..

now what?
    I would be absolutely livid if I paid full retail for any phone, and they replaced it within the first 30 days with a FRU.

Doesn't matter if its a refurb, or a never used FRU, or whatever. Your phone should have been replaced with a brand new retail-boxed Tour. No questions asked.

I would get CS on the phone asap, ask for a supervisor, and explain the situation. Be polite, but firm, and demand that they provide what you paid for.

This is another reason why I am happy I purchased my phone at BestBuy. It took me 4 replacements to get one that worked right, but each time, there were no questions asked, and no risk of getting a refurb.
    08-13-09 05:33 AM
    Okay now I'm pissed that I looked at this thread

I just bought a new Tour a few days ago, and I was browsing here and saw your statement about "refurbished" being in the "about" section, so I thought for kicks I'd see if I even had the field. Well guess what, my new tour says "Refurbished: Y (Jul 29, 2009)"!!!!!

While that is upsetting, on the other hand it looks completely new, and works completely flawlessly, so I seriously doubt I'm going to press the issue and get another phone. If anything, it might have worked in my favor with all the problems people have been having. But it still pisses me off in principle that I just shelled out for a new phone and got a refurbished one.

Oh yeah and FYI, it came in a brand new box with all the new stuff, and stickers on the screen and everything. It was at least a well-done refurbish
    Last edited by Dagnillo; 08-13-09 at 05:45 AM.
    08-13-09 05:39 AM
    Not really sure what the horrible issue is with the word "refurbished", and especially not the FRU situation. The FRU is a new phone, just boxed for the OP's situation - replacement of a defective or DOA device.

As for refurbished, it might mean that it was used by someone else before; But has been looked over, problems fixed, and rebuilt to new specs. (refurbished: tr.v. To restore to attractive or serviceable condition; renovate.) In my eyes, it's another piece of equipment, that has just the same chance of breaking as a new one (maybe even less).

Oh, and this is from personal experience - not just with RIM but with other technology manufacturers like Dell.
    08-13-09 08:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD