This BlackBerry Torch might be the one that breaks me down. Verizon seems to be getting clobbered as far as phone selection goes these days and I might just cancel my VZ contract and switch. This Torch is absolutely AWESOME.
    08-05-10 06:00 PM
    No phone will ever make me switch to AT&T. I don't care what the phone is capable of doing, if it's on AT&T, chances are it won't do all that it's supposed to! I prefer a network that works.
    08-05-10 07:44 PM
    Yeah.. if anything, I'd just be looking forward to getting the Torch switched to Verizon. Plain and Simple.
    08-06-10 08:21 AM
    I'm about done w/RIM. The Tour is obsolete within 15 months on the market - no plans for OS6, and is replaced by the Bold. I am really considering the EVO 4g.
    08-06-10 09:11 AM
    I just seen that thread w/ the Bold replacement for the tour on VZW.. Looks like i'm about to get a new Bold!
    08-06-10 09:13 AM
    Storm 3 dude. Just wait til Q1 of 2011. It'll be the best touch screen BB out there.
    08-06-10 09:21 AM
    Well.. I get an upgrade in march of 2011 ... so if I get this Bold, it should hold me over until then.
    08-06-10 09:22 AM
    What is the torch ? And where can I see it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 11:34 AM
    The torch is the new slider blackberry, it's all over crackberry.com home page. go check it out
    08-06-10 11:50 AM
    Since the Tour came out on VZW July of last year, I can wait a few more months to see what improved OS6 or 4G devices VZW/RIM decides to rollout. The bold is nice, but to move to a non 4G phone when they are becoming more common doesn't make sense for me.
    08-06-10 12:18 PM
    Since the Tour came out on VZW July of last year, I can wait a few more months to see what improved OS6 or 4G devices VZW/RIM decides to rollout. The bold is nice, but to move to a non 4G phone when they are becoming more common doesn't make sense for me.
    Yeah man, I spoke to a tech. rep there and he said the 4G should be coming out by the end of the year.. so I'll do with the Bold until my next upgrade is available by that time, there should be a few 4G selections out on VZW.
    08-06-10 12:23 PM
    OS6 and 9800 hardware is still vastly behind every other smartphone offering... maybe even wimo7.

I'm a long time blackberry enthusiast, but i'd be crazy to not lust after a samsung epic
    08-06-10 02:10 PM
    you can't even think of the torch if you want to use it as a phone. The att network is the worst for the phone factor. It may be ok for internet but thats about it. Att gets the better phones because they have to attract new customers. they pay more to the phone mfg. than verizon for just that reason.
    08-06-10 03:47 PM
    After watching the new Crackberry video and seeing the Torch absolutely destroyed by both the iPhone4 and that Samsung Captivate I changed my mind. Wow, it's amazing just how far behind RIM is from the other manufacturers. It really wasn't even close.
    08-06-10 10:02 PM
    two things
    1. I wouldn't switch to ATT's network unless everyone
    else went out of buisness.
    2. I wonder how many Tours were exchanged for Bolds under waranty
    I know its a silly question but does anyone have any accurate idea ?
    08-07-10 11:15 AM
    Oh yes. When comparing my BB to a Moto Droid X, HTC Incredible or the new Samsung Fascinate(?), it is like comparing a Yugo to a Cadillac. In fact, there is no comparision.
    My sister just got the Incredible. It makes my Tour look like complete garbage.

08-07-10 11:41 AM
    Unless Q1 2011 holds something amazingly spectacular, I'm probably going to jump ship to something else too. I'll sure as heck miss the BBM, the nearly perfect push email system, etc, but I won't miss the lack of significant leaps forward in processor speed, browser technology, etc.

08-07-10 12:28 PM
    The Torch looks like an awesome device! i wouldn't switch from VZW for any phone though. Service comes first to me. i have the 9630 (3rd replacement) and it's working fine so far. i am excited for a new browser and touch screen BlackBerry though. i'm waiting for Storm 3 or 4 on VZW.

08-07-10 12:33 PM
    My sister just got the Incredible. It makes my Tour look like complete garbage.

Aww, now, is that really a fair comparison? I feel like you're comparing your 42 inch HD flat screen to a 13 inch color RCA tube TV! Go pick on somebody else your own size!

As a Tour user, I am a typical BB user, in that I love the physical keyboard. But that Incredible is the closest Droid I have used that is all touchcreen that would make me want to give up the physical keyboard. It is slightly larger and wider than the Tour, but not by much. It's the only Droid I have used so far that I can type ONE-HANDED almost as good as the Tour. Screens move fast, internet loads quick. Beautiful device. Now, if I can just find a decent replacement for BerryBuzz or get over my love affair with colorful notifications, I may soon become a DINC user.
    08-07-10 01:14 PM
    I think its humorous that people want to compare the BB to a Droid. I know its how people are, but I've used every kind of phone and OS out there. I keep coming back to my BB. It works every time. The battery life is second to none on smartphones. There is no way an iPhone or Droid last as long as a blackberry. And there is no other phone that can match the reliability of the email on the blackberry. The Droid is a great phone but it is not as reliable as my BB. I'm sorry to all the BB haters but RIM doesn't just throw phones together just to stay up with the comptition. And when they do (I.e. The Storm 1) they have all kinds of issues. I happen to enjoy my tour and when I can upgrade in Dec. I will probably get the Bold or a newer BB if they come out with one.

08-07-10 06:35 PM
    I think its humorous that people want to compare the BB to a Droid. I know its how people are, but I've used every kind of phone and OS out there. I keep coming back to my BB. It works every time. The battery life is second to none on smartphones. There is no way an iPhone or Droid last as long as a blackberry. And there is no other phone that can match the reliability of the email on the blackberry. The Droid is a great phone but it is not as reliable as my BB. I'm sorry to all the BB haters but RIM doesn't just throw phones together just to stay up with the comptition. And when they do (I.e. The Storm 1) they have all kinds of issues. I happen to enjoy my tour and when I can upgrade in Dec. I will probably get the Bold or a newer BB if they come out with one.

Nobody expects RIM to throw phones together to keep up with the competition. Don't "just keep up". Innovate. Push processor speed/memory/etc to the absolute bleeding edge limit of current technology. Force the competition to catch up to you. That's the way you keep people interested/gain market share/etc. If you're playing catch-up all the time, where does that leave you? (Hint: second/third, etc place).

I mean come-on, if they want to expand their presence in the consumer market, they can't just expect superior push email and highly secure devices to keep folks' attention when the web browsing is marginal at best, the device hangs randomly for up to a minute at times for no apparent reason, and the next revision of the device is just a marginally better device vs a leap forward.

Other devices nearly instantaneously seem to have webpages downloaded/rendered/displayed vs the BB's snail-like pace, just as one example of an area RIM is woefully neglecting for the consumer market... (Edited to add the following: The BB even struggles with loading WAP pages. To get to this edit screen it just took about 30-45 seconds from the time I clicked the link to the time it displayed the next page. Does anyone feel that's good on WAP optimized page?! That is completely unacceptable performance, but sadly, it's pretty consistent, and is among the ways we can see RIM has been dropping the ball. Maybe they fixed that in OS6, but I guess I need to wait til Q1 next year to see if there's anything worth upgrading to that has that. (/ editing)

Before anyone accuses me of being a BB hater, this Tour is my second BB in 2 years. I came from an 8330. Is Tour a leap forward from the Curve? Yes. Is Bold a leap forward from Tour? Um, same processor, screen, yadda yadda, just with wifi, more memory and a trackpad. That's not a leap forward in any sense of the word. I'd love to have my next device be a BB, but if the device is sluggish like the Tour is on web browsing, freezes/is laggy for no apparent reason/etc, I'm going to definitely try for a company that actually delivers functionality on their multimedia/fun applications.

Last edited by the_sandman_454; 08-08-10 at 10:53 AM.
    08-07-10 07:13 PM
    I just got the EVO
    I am missing push notifications on blackberry with email and all social apps
    08-07-10 08:49 PM
    Whatever you do, don't switch to att!!!! I was there before, they have terrible service and they don't care about the customer. Once your in the contract they've got you and they're done. Don't make that move I'm telling you, you'll regret it.

08-08-10 11:15 AM

Agreed. I used a Droid for six weeks and came back to a Tour for the keyboard. I just need to be able to get a message out quickly. The android OS is cool, but there isn't enough there for me personally to give up a solid keyboard and the best notifications system (BerryBuzz) in the business.
    08-10-10 09:41 AM
    I want to upgrade to the Tourch too, but Telus in Canada probably won't have it until late October. I hate waiting...
    08-11-10 09:16 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD