Hi folks...

Hoping a CrackBerry expert will be able to help me get this straightened out. I have an unlocked BlackBerry Tour (Bell Mobility) that I am using with Rogers Wireless. Works no problem getting signal and connection to the network, however it keeps losing its data connection!

When I first turn it on it will connect to the BIS and EDGE will be in capitals (signalling data connection) but then it will intermittently disconnect and reconnect to the data network - signal strength stays the same, however - and it's really starting to get annoying. It is happening so often that I can hardly get anything done without it losing the data connection. Sometimes it seems to even switch back and forth every few seconds. Any suggestions/tips/theories as to why this is happening?

Cheers!

UPDATE:

I think I've come up with a solution after hours of playing with OS code and device settings. I'll post what and how to do it when I know for sure that it is a lasting solution.
    Last edited by adamh10; 09-01-09 at 12:43 AM.
    08-31-09 10:13 PM
    Its an OS issue. The Storm (9530) has the same stupid problem. Personally i think the carriers get RIM to do it on purpose nut that's just me.
    08-31-09 10:18 PM
    Its an OS issue. The Storm (9530) has the same stupid problem. Personally i think the carriers get RIM to do it on purpose nut that's just me.
    Has a fix/workaround ever been found? I see all these videos and whatnot of Tour's and Storm's working on ATT/Rogers and they seem to all have data connections no problem... very frustrating.
    08-31-09 10:24 PM
    Has a fix/workaround ever been found? I see all these videos and whatnot of Tour's and Storm's working on ATT/Rogers and they seem to all have data connections no problem... very frustrating.

The only fix, seemingly..is to mix and match the radio codes from one OS with the other. Not exactly the most ideal fix nor is it the easiest as you will need to find out, determine and test which maintains a better connection over the others. And well, for someone new to that type of thing it's a little daunting considering mixing the wrong files could *potentially* brick your device.

The world capabilities of those devices was only meant to be utilized under the assumption you would be using a global package offered by whatever carrier it was that issued the device. Some will tell you unlocking it and using it on a different carrier will cause no ill effects, some will argue to the death that it indeed does. The forums are full of users who had that same issue with the Storm and alas, the issue still exists with no 100% fix for it and no 100% reasonable idea as to why it happens. Ultimately, there is no fix.
    08-31-09 10:48 PM
    Thanks, Bla1ze. Now, not sure if this would work, but could I take the radio code from a Rogers device software that I KNOW works and paste it into the Tour's OS, or does it have to be another version of the Tour's software radio codes?

I have some familiarity in playing around with BB device software code, but not sure about mixing and matching lines of code from different device OS's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 11:31 PM
    UPDATE:

I think I've come up with a fix after hours of work. I'll post when I know for sure that it's a lasting solution.
    09-01-09 12:42 AM
    When I lose my data signal it goes from 1XEV to 1Xev. I'm with verizon and they couldn't tell me what it is. It fixes itself after a quick pull but its too damn inconvenient. The point of having this it to move as fast as possible in a fast pace world. I wanna google NOW!!!! Not in 10 mins when its done rebooting...haha. Let us know what u find.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD