For several months now I have been following the pre release discussions on the tour 9630 and anxiously awaiting its release. This was to be my first blackberry and I was very excited. I did not feel the need to pre-order and could not be there on release day but planned to be there on Monday morning. After reading a few posts that concerned me on Sunday night I decided to wait a few more days to see how extensive the problems are. I admit that many of the problems discussed are way above me and I probably wouldn't have even noticed them but come on now - loose battery cover, weak vibrate, headset jack does not work when pushed in all the way, etc. Now I don't know what to do. Even with the workshops Verizon offers and all of the printouts of good suggestions I saved and BB101 I'm not sure if I can even make it work right and if it wasn't would I even know it? I have had the same LG dumbphone for 3 years and it is just starting to have some key entry problems. I really want to make the jump to a smart phone and a BB in particular but everything I am reading here really concerns me. What to do??
    07-17-09 12:15 AM
    Its not about what you read all the time. Its a matter of perspective. Why not see about trying one before you make up your mind. If it isn't for you can always be brougt back can it not

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 12:17 AM
    I bought the Tour on SUnday when it came out...I took it home connected it to the computer and used the Desktop Manager to transfer everything i had saved from my 8330 onto the tour..Then i went on to download all the apps i had on my curve on the tour..Everything on this phone works perfect...I use the headset jack for music and it works perfectly..The vibrate is not a issue for me, i created custome volume profiles and make one called "Vibrate" i customized it to vibrate on medium strength 5 times...I hardly ever miss calls. The back door is a little loss..Not loss enough to be a real problem like the hundreds of people on crackberry are complaining....also most peopple are using a skin or a hardcase so you never even see the back or touch it... The device is awesome man i can't understand what people on this forum are complaining about...Most problems are becuase the user doesn't understand how to use the device...ITs a smartphone..key word "smart"... i hate to say it but some people are dumb and dont understand how to use it...

I know a lot about bb's in general and have had no problem with this device...I dont care what everyone else says, i love this phone, i waited a long time for it to come out, and now i have it and love it... Works perfect for me and i wouldnt use any other device...
    07-17-09 12:20 AM
    As I stated before ... more people complain about things than they do compliment them. So all these 'issues' you describe are blown out of proportion. The chances you have these are slim. Even if you do, they are still very minor compared to having to use a dumb phone

Worst case just try the phone for 30 days and see how you like it ...
    07-17-09 12:21 AM
    I am a first time Blackberry Owner and just got the Tour on Tuesday....I absolutely love it! The handset is very sleek and after activating it...I was playing around with it for a few hours....I am amazed at all it can do out of the box! I am looking forward to learning more about my phone and I am sure I will love it even more as time goes on.

Should I download AppWorld? I see all kinds of apps all over the place...just wondering if I should get this too.
    07-17-09 12:26 AM
    I am a first time Blackberry Owner and just got the Tour on Tuesday....I absolutely love it! The handset is very sleek and after activating it...I was playing around with it for a few hours....I am amazed at all it can do out of the box! I am looking forward to learning more about my phone and I am sure I will love it even more as time goes on.

Should I download AppWorld? I see all kinds of apps all over the place...just wondering if I should get this too.
    def download app world..i browse through it every now and than and once in a while i might find something interesting to download...Since this is your 1st bb i would recommend playing with the device as much as possible and learning all you can...the forums are a great way of learning little things you didn't know...i am a pretty experienced user, but, every now and than i learn somethign new....im happy to hear that your having a good experience with the tour...I also have had no problems with the device and love it...i upgraded from the curve..
    07-17-09 12:30 AM
    I am kinda in the same boat as funbuilder.

I feel your pain. I was about to make the jump to a Tour from a WM5 device.

I am not too worried about the software issues - they can and will be fixed. Its the physical ones, headset jack, battery door, trackball ( I think this might be SW as well).

A BB can do a **** of a lot. I am a little suspect of the build quality.

I have a feeling that this device is meant to run OS 5.x and 4.7.x (or whatever) has been tweaked to work - but its not the ideal platform for it. We can't have OS 5.x yet as its not out and the BES servers can't handle 5x devices (from what I read somewhere).

Funbuilder - I would ride it out for a few weeks. Also no harm in going into the store and checking to see if the issues exist with your phone.
    07-17-09 02:23 AM
    I bought the Tour on SUnday when it came out...I took it home connected it to the computer and used the Desktop Manager to transfer everything i had saved from my 8330 onto the tour..Then i went on to download all the apps i had on my curve on the tour..Everything on this phone works perfect...I use the headset jack for music and it works perfectly..The vibrate is not a issue for me, i created custome volume profiles and make one called "Vibrate" i customized it to vibrate on medium strength 5 times...I hardly ever miss calls. The back door is a little loss..Not loss enough to be a real problem like the hundreds of people on crackberry are complaining....also most peopple are using a skin or a hardcase so you never even see the back or touch it... The device is awesome man i can't understand what people on this forum are complaining about...Most problems are becuase the user doesn't understand how to use the device...ITs a smartphone..key word "smart"... i hate to say it but some people are dumb and dont understand how to use it...

I know a lot about bb's in general and have had no problem with this device...I dont care what everyone else says, i love this phone, i waited a long time for it to come out, and now i have it and love it... Works perfect for me and i wouldnt use any other device...
    I feel the same way except I can't use desktop manager to transfer some of my stuff from my old phone. The Tour is a great phone and my best blackberry to date.

The only thing I am mad about is that I have a Mac and RIM has their head so far up their a$$es that they won't create a desktop option for Mac users....wtf?
    07-17-09 02:34 AM
    For several months now I have been following the pre release discussions on the tour 9630 and anxiously awaiting its release. This was to be my first blackberry and I was very excited. I did not feel the need to pre-order and could not be there on release day but planned to be there on Monday morning. After reading a few posts that concerned me on Sunday night I decided to wait a few more days to see how extensive the problems are. I admit that many of the problems discussed are way above me and I probably wouldn't have even noticed them but come on now - loose battery cover, weak vibrate, headset jack does not work when pushed in all the way, etc. Now I don't know what to do. Even with the workshops Verizon offers and all of the printouts of good suggestions I saved and BB101 I'm not sure if I can even make it work right and if it wasn't would I even know it? I have had the same LG dumbphone for 3 years and it is just starting to have some key entry problems. I really want to make the jump to a smart phone and a BB in particular but everything I am reading here really concerns me. What to do??
    Any forum you go to whether it be for phones, cameras, or whatever will have 95% issues and 5% positive comments. You cannot go by forum posts to make a decision. I had the loose battery cover and now I don't. Vibrate is plenty strong for me, Have not had any issues with the head phone jack. My biggest complaint is what I consider a low volume on the ear piece during calls. That is just me though..heck...I work in a noisy place to it probably is just my hearing. Go try one out if you want and quit reading all the negative posts.
    07-17-09 02:50 AM
    My BlackBerry Tour is PERFECT! I ignore all of these negative comments. Some of these are extremists, and for you to read their comments is doing nothing but putting fear in you about a purchase. Go to Verizon and play with a display model and see for yourself. Before operating it, restart it so that all of the apps that may be open will close and start afresh. Otherwise you'll think it's slow (because it's not by any means).
    07-17-09 03:02 AM
    Ditto and amen!
    07-17-09 03:03 AM
    the tour is also my very first blackberry...
    picked it up on release date w/ an appointment to go over everything.
    i was also very nervous about the bb smartphone...
    i have always used a dumbphone..
    i read through the bb101 and many other posts prior to buying the tour, just so that i wouldn't be a total ***** w/ a smartphone...
    i have only had the phone for 5 days and love every minute of it...
    i finally understand the website title "crackberry".
    you really do get addicted to your bb.
    don't get too worried about the complaints on the forum...
    i think majority of the people on the sites, including myself, tend to be a little too obsessive/compulsive... but then again, thats why bbs are so great...
    buy it and enjoy the addiction...
    worst case scenario, return it prior to the 30 days.
    hope this helps.
    07-17-09 03:04 AM
    questions for my new Tour... does anyone know how to.....

1. on speed dial options.. move key A (Lock System), Q (change to vibrate), W (voice mail) to another speed dial key?

2. add a theme such as L theme from the old curve?

3. any good website recommendations to make your own ringtones besides mixertones? (I believe mixertones gave me a lot of my bugs on my old curve)
    Last edited by cocont123; 07-17-09 at 03:25 AM.
    07-17-09 03:17 AM
    I feel the same way except I can't use desktop manager to transfer some of my stuff from my old phone. The Tour is a great phone and my best blackberry to date.

The only thing I am mad about is that I have a Mac and RIM has their head so far up their a$$es that they won't create a desktop option for Mac users....wtf?
    i use a Mac too and I hate that problem... if you use google for your email or yahoo... you can dl a sync and do it from there.... its not the greatest.. but at least your comp and your phone are in sync...

my friend did have the iphone theme on his storm... hopefully they'll have one for the tour too..
    07-17-09 03:23 AM
    questions for my new Tour... does anyone know how to.....

1. on speed dial options.. move key A (Lock System), Q (change to vibrate), W (voice mail) to another speed dial key?

2. add a theme such as L theme from the old curve?

3. any good website recommendations to make your own ringtones besides mixertones? (I believe mixertones gave me a lot of my bugs on my old curve)
    i'd recommend zedge.net for ringtones, great selection of user created stuff, and you can create your own. beautiful quality AND it's free.
    07-17-09 03:41 AM
    i'd recommend zedge.net for ringtones, great selection of user created stuff, and you can create your own. beautiful quality AND it's free.
    Excellent thank you... I hated the ringtones on the BB and now I found a good one. I'm not into music style and just wanted a good ringer like I had on my voyager.
    07-17-09 06:31 AM
    Opinions are like a*******, everyone has one! I came from a list of some phenomenal phones and I must say this tour is just perfect. I just went through 4 Palm Pres because the phone would get so hot that it would create yellow/white burn marks on the bottom of the screen. Every single one had it. Then there was an issue with the screen and the keyboard slider would start to twist as if you were twisting apart an oreo! The tour has no issues compared what other smartphones are having

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 06:40 AM
    30 day trial...
    07-17-09 06:41 AM
    If the headphone jack is not working I would return it for a new one. Make sure to try it in store too.
    07-17-09 07:06 AM
    Thanks everyone for the good advice, I have been into the store 3 times now, stayed past closing tonight, and I am really liking this phone. Each time I use it I learn some new things and try something I learned from here. I think that I will take the plunge and become a bb addict.
    07-18-09 11:23 PM
    To be honest, I'm starting to feel that these problems are getting blown out of proportions for a couple of reasons.

#1 People are making multiple threads for the same issue creating the illusion that it's more widespread than it really is.

#2 CrackBerry is the top internet forum for BlackBerries. So of course everyone is going to go running here to talk about even the most minor of issues.

Then of course you have the people who have a problem-free phone that are just looking for something to be wrong (OCD much?) and the people who are honestly idiots....if they just did a search or read the stickies, their problems would be solved.

That's just my observation, and as the owner of a launch Tour and a launch Xbox 360 (as well as a launch PSP in the past and all of which are 100% rock-solid)...I can safely say the same thing happens with every new product launch. You have to figure, they're manufacturing HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of these things, and when a few hundred people come together and make a noise...sure it's loud. But in the end, it's only a minuet fraction of the total population.

Buy the Tour and be happy. You've seemed to have already done your homework, so you'll be fine.
    07-18-09 11:31 PM
    I got the Tour the day it came out and i LOVE it, the loose battery cover is not even that noticable, plus if you go in to buy it they'll exchange it for you, if its a BIG deal to you.
    I haven't encountered all the other problems i've read about on my Tour.
    This is my second Blackberry to own and i don't think i could go back to any other phone out there.
    BUY IT! lol
    07-18-09 11:59 PM
    I Started With A Bb Way Back When The 8700 Was "it". That Got Me Hooked.... I Didnt Upgrade Till I Got M Hands On The Curve From Verizon... Thats When I Found This Site..... Since The Day The Curve Came Out, I Have Tried The Storm Twice And The World Edition 8830 Once.... Neither One Could Live Up To My Expectations. I Just Could Never Get Used To The Touch Screen On The Storm And I Never Realized How Much I Used The Camera Till I Tried The 8830.... I Bought The Tour The Day It Came Out..... Let Me Tell You, Rim Will Have To Dig Deep To Pry This One Out Of My Hands..... It Takes Everything I Loved About The Curve (size, Form Factor) The Storm (web Browser, Screen Clarity, Multimedia) And The 8830 (larger Keys For Big Men With Stiff Bb Thumbs) And Combied It Into The Finest Unit I Know Of...... A Few Quirks Here And There But I Would Recommend The Tour To Anyone From Fun To Business...... Awesome Phone Rim - Awesome
    07-19-09 12:27 AM
    Listen, the phone JUST came out. So everyone (including myself) is freaking out because we want it to be PERFECT. But nothing is perfect, so there's no need to fret. Earlier I created a thread concerning the gaps between certain keys and being able to see inside, and blah blah.. now I just feel plain silly. It's a phone that's produced by the thousands so they are not going to be perfect.. and if you hear complaints about the same thing coming from almost EVERYONE.. then it isn't an [B]individual/B] problem, may not be a problem at all. People are just PARANOID because its new.

I like my phone. And so does everyone else. So, really.. don't read all this negativity because it's only relative to the now.. has nothing to do with the phone itself, just its timing. Couple months from now the noise will die down, as people will start easing up to their phones.

07-19-09 12:33 AM
    Make the jump, you won't regret it. Its a well made device.
    07-19-09 12:36 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD