I don't know how many times we see threads coming up with the 552 error message, or the "Out of Memory" message when there is still free memory available. Here is a little info to help with the error.

================================================== =======

This error occurs in OS 4.7. It is an application indexing problem during installation of apps. In essence, the application doesn't get permissions set properly, or it gets installed to the wrong memory location.

When you install an application onto your BB, run it immediately. You might not be able to do this if your BB requires a reboot, but if you can try to run it without rebooting. If the application runs fine, you won't get the 552 error message.

If you get an "Out of Memory" error message, close the application, but DO NOT REBOOT yet. The first thing to do is go into Options > Applications and set the new application's permissions to "Allow All". Then, try to run the application again. If it runs, you should be good to go (it was just a permissions problem).

If you still get the "Out of Memory" error, the application was installed improperly. Delete the application immediately, then reboot. The 552 error should not appear when it boots back up.

If you get the 552 error message:

If you've already rebooted and are at the 552 error message, here is something to try first before trying to reload everything. Make sure you have BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife) installed on your PC (available here on CrackBerry). Connect your BB to your computer, then run BBASK. Use BBSAK to remove the most recently installed app (delete the .cod file). You should be able to reboot after uninstalling the offending application without needing to reinstall the OS. You may also be able to go into the Load OS option in BBSAK, bring up a list of applications installed and delete the app that way.

If you've installed more than one app, you may need to delete them to find out which one is causing the problem. It's always best to run the app as soon as you install it to make sure it works properly.

If deleting the new apps doesn't get you past the 552 error, then you will have to reinstall the OS. Check the How-To section for more information on loading the OS.

================================================== =====

Hopefully this info will help someone. At least it will give you some options to try before wiping your BB and reloading everything. Reloading the OS should be a last resort.

Two things to note. I don't think this is a memory issue, but more of a number of apps issue. When I have seen the "Out of Memory" error come up (that couldn't be resolved by setting permissions), I was able to delete another smaller app and then re-install the new app without a problem.

The other thing to note is that this error does not occur with OS 5.0, so this is definitely an OS 4.7 problem. If OS 5.0 isn't out for your carrier yet (it is available on some carriers already), you may want to consider using one of the other carrier releases or leaks. If you're not comfortable with that, just we aware that this issue does exist, and plan on updating to 5.0 when your carrier releases it.

Hopefully a mod will sticky this.
    Last edited by Xopher; 02-04-10 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added link to BBSAK
    02-04-10 05:29 PM
    Xopher. Most excellent post. At the very least, this could go in the tips and how to forum. You are right on about this being one of the most common jvm error problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-10 05:40 PM
    I don't know if this should go in the "How To" forum since the error is specific to the Tour running OS 4.7. I think more Tour owners come here first instead of the How-To section.
    02-04-10 05:43 PM
    Terrific post. I agree with your assessment that the best place to leave it is here where the users are more likely to see it, since it's a device and OS specific problem.
    02-04-10 06:45 PM
    Great post! I can't tell you how many times I got the 552 error while running 4.7 and thought the only solution was a complete wipe. This should save some people a ton of frustration.
    02-04-10 08:55 PM
    Great post. But when I got the 552 error, I immediately tried to connect my Tour to my desktop to try to delete all my apps, but my computer could not find Tour. The next day I took it to a vzw store and they told me that the error could not be resolve. Any help there?

02-04-10 09:55 PM
    The first thing to do is to try to avoid getting the 552 error in the first place. Test apps and delete directly from the BB before rebooting.

It is pretty much hit or miss with getting the PC to recognize the BB is attached. Desktop Manager usually won't work, but BBSAK seems to have better luck (don't run DM and BBSAK at the same time, just run BBSAK). If BBSAK can't locate your BB, then the only option is to wipe and reinstall.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-04-10 10:19 PM
    Great post! i've had three 552 Errors so far. The first two i could fix by deleting the recently installed app. The last required an OS reload. Hassle! i only reloaded my must have apps. Since then i've just not downloaded any apps. The error is a major hassle for me. i have updated a few apps without the error.

i've been quoting your posts when helping others with 552 Errors so it's nice to have this thread stuck.

02-07-10 12:08 PM
    finally, a how-to for this problem got stickied!!!
    02-11-10 11:10 AM
    I was excited to finally see this stickied as well.

Only problem for me is, it doesn't seem to be the problem for my Tour. I get the same error with a fresh OS install (after a complete wipe) and no apps loaded. Had it happen right in front of a Verizon Tech and they still won't replace it for me because they are positive it is not a problem with the device itself.

Could it be that the OS itself is not loading properly due to something wrong with the device itself?
    02-16-10 10:12 AM
    You actually shouldn't even need BBSAK. Once you connect your phone, you should be able to remove the app from the phone using the DM. It will say "Connected: None" but it should still work.
    02-16-10 11:19 AM
    Do we have any feel for how many apps is too many?

02-22-10 06:49 PM
    There doesn't seem to be a magic number of apps. It seems to depend on the number of apps and how much memory they take up.

I didn't start seeing the errors until I had around 35+ apps installed. I was able to get around 40 apps installed and then I saw the error just about every time I went to install or upgrade an
    app.

It's one of the main reasons I bumped up to 5.0. I didn't want to go with a leaked version or hybrid, but the guessing if an app would error out or not just got to be too frustrating. I have never had the error since moving to 5.0.

02-22-10 09:43 PM
    Thank you for this information.

You have confirmed what I suspected. My Tour has gone 552 three times now! Each time it was after I recently installed an app or updated an app and was prompted to reboot.

My Tour has a problem with software rebooting - it won't do it. IF you select 'REBOOT NOW' it will simply shut off and not reboot. Then I will have to do a battery pull to have to reboot. After having to reinstall all my apps for the third time, I learned how to backup the entire phone (using the device switch wizard). But I'd hate to have to do this again.

What apps crashed my phone?

1. Google maps install.
    2. Bing failed install
    3. YouMail upgrade and prompted reboot.

Now I'm paranoid about installing apps!
    02-23-10 04:08 AM
    i am still on 9630/4.7.1.61 and i don't download apps much anymore. i have also deleted most of my apps and kept just the must haves for me.

i had about 40 apps when i started to get the 552 error.

1. Google Search
    2. Weather Channel
    3. Gmail Plug-In

With the Gmail Plug In 552 error i could not remove it using Desktop manager or BBSAK. When i tried, and the device rebooted it got stuck in a cycle of reboots. i had to reload my OS.

This was a pain but it allowed me to start fresh with apps and keep the number i installed low. i get paranoid too though when i update an app, and usually i just skip the update.

It's not good that this OS and/or device has this bug. i liked having a lot of useful apps. i'm looking forward to VZW 5.0 OS.

02-23-10 06:32 AM
    Crackberry knowledge yet again comes through and saves the day...thanks for the info. works like a charm.
    02-24-10 11:49 AM
    Guys, I'm novice when it comes to cell phone devices. However, I have enough background in computer science to know that the issue is more than just software being installed in wrong place. I should know because 552 happened to me many times causing me to do workaround with both Verizon and RIM techs. I have replaced the phone 4 times already because those techs couldn't fix the problem...well actually, only first 3 times, that they couldn't fix it. Here's my story.

First time 552 happened to me, this forum was one of the first place I've come to. I've tried every work around on this web site plus others including ones on RIM's web site without success. I took it to Verizon techs and they could not do it either. First 3 times the phones were replaced, nothing worked. With 4th phone, RIM tech was able to fix it. They basically did factory install of the OS.

Now, the reason why I disagree with the original post is because of follow. I initially, I thought the same thing. I thought something similar was going on during installation process which was corrupting certain boot files. However, I have evidences suggesting that the problem is a bit more complicated than that.

Second time 552 happened to me, it happened after deleting a program, not after installing. This was a program that was installed correctly and worked fine. I just deleted it because I didn't need it.

4th time it happened, it just happened during battery pull without installation or deletion of program since prior battery pull. 552 was happening so often that I was afraid of installing any files for a while. Each time, I'd spend hours trying to fix it and end up being without phone for a few days waiting for a new phone. So I did not install any new programs. One night, on the way to the mountains, I found the phone to be very sluggish. So I did battery pull while driving. When I arrived where I was headed, I found it with 552 error.

Another evidence, well, this may be just Blackberry trying to hide the instability of the device. The 4th phone I had was fixed the first time by RIM tech. Then on the same night, it did 552 again, without any installation of new programs this time also. This happened couple of weeks ago and Verizon tech thought problem may be the hardware (Guess they still don't know what the problem is). So they replace the phone.

It's quite annoying to lose everything between last backup and 552, waste hours with tech support on the phone to prove that it really is irrecoverable, then to wait a few days for a new phone, and restoring contacts and building up the accounts again. I had to replace the phone twice a month on average. After going through countless 9630, I finally decided to move on. Verizon is sending Storm 2 instead which I'm supposed to receive in couple of days if it's on schedule. I'm not sure that's a good thing or bad.

Anyway, at this point I'm done with Tour. I initially liked the phone frankly. If it didn't keep crashing, I would've been happy with it. I was perfectly happy with it. But I just couldn't live with it's stability issues. I had to live in constant fear of whether it'll start correctly every time I did battery pull which is in itself hassle as it takes quite a long time to reboot and you have to do it quite often.

Anyway, RIM's official stance is that they still don't know what the problem is and this doesn't happen often at all. I had to replace the phone 4 times..but 552 happened to me more than that as sometimes it was recoverable. This is in the span of 2 months. So I just can't believe them. The RIM tech I talked to told me he only had to do this one other time besides me. Well, I also doubt that too because the way he worked around it, he seemed have done it many times. I mean it's so simple. One can google "error 552" and it's obvious how rampant the problem is. Yet both Verizon and RIM tells me this rarely happens.

Anyway, good riddens Tour...I hope I have better luck with Storm 2. Frankly, I can't trust RIM or Verizon anymore at this point and I have nagging doubt as far as stability of Blackberry goes. I'd rather switch to different OS phone. But Verizon policy makes it impossible for me to switch to different phone unless I pay for a whole new device out of pocket. Let this be a lesson to you all. It certainly has been for me...
    Last edited by sportsdc; 03-07-10 at 02:38 AM. Reason: put down wrong model name lol
    03-07-10 12:20 AM
    btw, from the looks of it, once port to os 5.0 is complete, this 552 would be a thing of past. Perhaps I should be stuck with tour a bit longer long. But then...one of the things Verizon tech told me bothers me quite a bit...he stated that since RIM tried to bring up BB's to smartphone functionality, playing catching up, in a hurry, problems like this have cropped up often...

5.0 may bring problem of it's own...ugh...

Anyone have any opinion on which os is the most stablest? Now that i've gone through **** with Tour, stability would be my #1 criteria on choosing my next cell...
    03-07-10 03:11 AM
    Great info, now I know what happened to my other tour. I had to get a replacement, I couldn't get past the error. I downloaded several apps and didn't run them in between downloads.

03-07-10 02:50 PM
    I agree it is a complicated problem. None of the OS files are getting overwritten. From what I have seen in the original response from RIM is it is an indexing error. So, something is off with where the index says apps are installed. It's like the old DOS apps with the FAT file pointing to the wrong memory location, there just isn't a checkdisk app to correct things. The point of the original post is that there are ways to see if the app was installed properly before rebooting to a 552 error, as well as the opportunity to correct without having to reinstall the OS every time the error comes up. I can see how uninstalling an app can also mess up the index, especially if it was off to begin with.

It's still an OS 4.7 problem. It's not an app problem - apps can install just fine without bringing up the error. It seems that OS 5.0 doesn't have the error, so it can be safe to assume this is a 4.7 bug.
    03-08-10 12:23 PM
    Since i've deleted half my apps i haven't had a 552 error. i was around 40 and now down to 20. i update all my current apps an have downloaded maybe 2 since the big app delete with no 552 issue.

That's why i think it does have to do with the number of apps installed and of course 4.7 OS.

i suppose you could install the .cod files using BBSAK and not install apps OTA, and have 40 apps, and that way avoid the 552 but that's a hassle.
    03-08-10 02:14 PM
    Beautiful! Thank you!
    Totally should've come looking here sooner... but... alas... at least now I know!

Man, that's annoying.

I'm downloading the 5.0 software now... hoping not to have any problems with that one!
    03-08-10 06:08 PM
    Thanks for the detailed info. For me, this was a nightmare. I lost contacts that were important to my businesses and I'm without phone for a week this time. And Verizon won't send it over night for some reason. They were out of stock until today, then they said they have ordered it, but will arrive 2 days later. Before, they'd automatically ship it overnight without asking. I think it's because the first rep I talked to told me that I'll get a different phone if they cannot send this particular phone within 3 days and that was already up. What I think is happenning is that they are probably out of stock still and intend to ship it tomorrow overnight so that they don't have to send me a different phone.

In January, they told me they'd give me different phone if it breaks down one more time. When it happened for the 3rd time, they said that that program ended and won't change the phone. But the corporate office promised that if it breaks again, they'll directly ask Verizon to give me new phone. When it DID break down, they said they said they will change it, but only to compatible phone.,..so another blackberry. They were supposed to over night it...but when I called 4 days later, order still wasn't placed. Then they said they placed an order with 2 day shipping rather than 1 day...

My wife just informed me that Verizon rep called to apologize and to promise that they'd replace it with different phone if THIS phone ever breaks down again...hmmm...Verizon is crying wolf again....and funny that this IS the 3rd time someone from Verizon promised me I'd get a different phone if it breaks one more time hahaha....

I think it's about time we should have cell phone lemon law all across the nation like they do in Michigan. Or was it New Jersey? Anyone know any trial attorneys making class action suit against Verizon? I'm ready to come aboard...
    03-08-10 07:16 PM
    Very helpful sticky thanks
    03-08-10 07:20 PM
    I wish i would have seen this earlier this week. As others have said, I went to verizon and they just sent me a new phone because they couldnt fix it. I tried downloading the updated appworld and personal assistant, then it happened. Lesson learned. I'll take the advice given here when I decide to download a new app. Thanks!
    03-11-10 06:03 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD