Hey everyone. Decided to get myself a BB yesterday and wow... Its amazing, Cant believe ive been missing out for so long!

I just had a few questions.

I know the tour does not have native wireless B/G support and was wondering if there is a work around for this. 3G is nice and all, but it doesnt touch a 54mb/sec wifi connection. Is it possible to use bluetooth to share say, a laptop connection or something of this sort? If so what hardware would I need for such a thing. I downloaded something called M-Router which sounded promising but I think a need a USB bluetooth adapter or something. Is it possible to share an internet connection through the cable?

Ive been also hearing a lot about OS upgrades and whatnot and mem usage. How would I go about checking my current mem usage and what are the pros and cons of using later (beta) OS's?

Lastly, only you hardcore experts of the BB know the best apps! What are some of the most recommended apps, and perhaps some other things a newb like myself would not be aware of just yet. :-P

Thank you in advance for any feedback, so excited!

Ken
    09-24-09 04:24 AM
    Hey everyone. Decided to get myself a BB yesterday and wow... Its amazing
    welcome aboard!

I know the tour does not have native wireless B/G support and was wondering if there is a work around for this.
    can't assist you with this. i have not heard of any.

How would I go about checking my current mem usage
    options ---> memory; scroll down to see your application memory and media card space

Lastly, only you hardcore experts of the BB know the best apps!
    There are multiple posts that will provide many opinions on the "best" apps. You can easily search for these. However, I prefer to use ubertwitter, facebook, berry weather, crackberry, viigo, opera mini, assoicated press just ot name a few. good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by cityguyaz; 09-24-09 at 04:48 AM.
    09-24-09 04:45 AM
    Thank you for the input! Ill be looking into those right away!

Just got a new question. I have seen many people prefer to see 3G at the top. Mine says 1XEV which is what im used to by a verizon phone. I just went to manage network connection options and set it to 3G but now I dont hae any service... Something i may be doing wrong or perhaps missing the idea here? Thank :-)
    09-24-09 04:48 AM
    most phones will indicate 1XEV, if available. I have never seen 3G (at least on my phone) with any of the software verisons I have had. this may be something new with the 5.0 build. dunno, good question. I will have to look around.
    09-24-09 04:55 AM
    Looks like 1xEV is just Verizons way of saying 3G
    09-24-09 04:58 AM
    exactly but it is still interesting that some show 3G. I have never heard of this on any network.
    09-24-09 05:01 AM
    Interesting indeed. Hey do you happen to know what "unlocking" a BB is all about?
    09-24-09 05:09 AM
    Ah, nm, just figured that one out. Tis BB stuff is gonna cost me alot of sleep. 6:11AM and sleep isnt a question lol.
    09-24-09 05:11 AM
    there is a lot that this device can do and sleepless nights are part of the norm of those who are new to the bb . i know that i had the same problem. you can also go to http://crackberry.com/welcome-new-bl...ted-crackberry as a starting point. enjoy and try to get some rest
    09-24-09 05:34 AM
    Hey everyone. Decided to get myself a BB yesterday and wow... Its amazing, Cant believe ive been missing out for so long!

I just had a few questions.

I know the tour does not have native wireless B/G support and was wondering if there is a work around for this. 3G is nice and all, but it doesnt touch a 54mb/sec wifi connection. Is it possible to use bluetooth to share say, a laptop connection or something of this sort? If so what hardware would I need for such a thing. I downloaded something called M-Router which sounded promising but I think a need a USB bluetooth adapter or something. Is it possible to share an internet connection through the cable?

Ive been also hearing a lot about OS upgrades and whatnot and mem usage. How would I go about checking my current mem usage and what are the pros and cons of using later (beta) OS's?

Lastly, only you hardcore experts of the BB know the best apps! What are some of the most recommended apps, and perhaps some other things a newb like myself would not be aware of just yet. :-P

Thank you in advance for any feedback, so excited!

Ken
    First there is NO wifi (no hardware in the phone).
    Second 3G is 1XEV the new OS builds 5.0 and above now have a 3G indicator no more 1XEV.
    Thirdly the tour has plenty of Memory and I still to this day wonder why so many folks worry about it. I ran my Storm with 0 Mem available and it ran fine.
    Fourthly about the APPS that question is solely up to you. Depending on what you use your BB for Business, Fun, Media etc.... Go grab some apps if you don't like them delete them.
    09-24-09 06:40 AM
    One more - an unlocked verizon Tour can be used with 'foreign' sim cards for cheaper service over in Europe/etc. And from what I read, even in the US with carriers such as AT&T but data might be a problem.
    09-24-09 08:34 AM
    Someone said they were using TwitterBerry and speedtest reported 1MB down? Rly? Most Ive seen from video downloads is 5-8kb/sec, which is like 56k dial up speeds. Is this normal?
    09-25-09 01:35 AM
    I'm on Sprinrt and I tehter all of the time and routinely hit 1MB download speeds.

You don't need to spend the $50 for Tetherberry either.

Simply set up a Dialup network connection to #777, have Desktop manager installed (I downloaded from Sprint but you can also DL from BB) and it works like a charm.
    09-25-09 04:49 AM
    I'm only getting about 5kb second downloads and comparable website load times. Takes about 30 seconds or so to load a page. Is this normal or perhaps one if my settings I wrong?
    09-26-09 04:25 PM
    I'm on Sprinrt and I tehter all of the time and routinely hit 1MB download speeds.

Simply set up a Dialup network connection to #777, have Desktop manager installed (I downloaded from Sprint but you can also DL from BB) and it works like a charm.
    what do you mean? i can tether my tour as a dial up connection and not have to pay any extra fees to verizon?
    09-26-09 08:24 PM
    Well I got it working it seems using dial up networking however it seems Verizon is on to this scheme. It only lets me view the page to subscribe for their pay tether service. Any free way to get around this? Gonna check my settings for speed problems. Def not getting 1mb down like urself.
    09-26-09 09:41 PM

Can you explain step by step on this - it would help me a lot.
    09-27-09 10:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD