I dropped my Tour in a glass of water (don't even ask me how it happened..) and removed it immediately. I took the battery out right away and used a blowdryer on the battery and the phone itself for about 10 minutes. I then tried to use my phone, but each time I restarted it, a new problem would pop up (the keyboard typing "m" and "n" when I hit the space bar, the screen dimming and not responding to any buttons, etc.)
    I also have insurance with Verizon. Is there anyway I can fix the phone?
    11-22-10 06:16 PM
    Put it n rice,meaning a bag of uncooked rice for about 3 days,let me no if this works- God Bless!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-10 06:20 PM
    Usually if the phone is dropped in water its best not to use the phone for at least 48 hours to allow the moisture to evaporate as placing the battery in the phone with mositure present could cause a short circuit.

Like said above place in bag of uncooked rice and see what happens.. Good luck
    11-22-10 06:56 PM
    Really? You spent 10 minutes trying to dry out a $500 phone? Little impatient were we?

You could try the rice trick, but I'm sure there was water left in the phone and you screwed it up by trying to use it. You're probably better off just using the insurance...
    11-22-10 07:18 PM
    Really? You spent 10 minutes trying to dry out a $500 phone? Little impatient were we?

You could try the rice trick, but I'm sure there was water left in the phone and you screwed it up by trying to use it. You're probably better off just using the insurance...
    Really??? Coming off a little harsh there, I think.
    11-22-10 09:38 PM
    I would try the rice trick too it has worked for me before. And yeah u shouldn't put the battery back in and try to turn the phone on unless its dried out for atleast a day. But u have insurance so worse case you can just get a replacement.

11-22-10 11:50 PM
    If you already tried to use it after 10 minutes, I'd guess that the phone is already cooked. The key is to not power up the phone until you've given it some time to dry. 10 minutes is not nearly enough. You need more like 48 hours in rice.

But give it a try...you never know.
    11-23-10 08:30 AM
    I've never understood the whole blowdrying your phone thing. There have been many threads that state "Pull the battery out and put it in a bag of dry rice for 48 hours". Hope all goes well OP.
    11-23-10 08:34 AM
    Oh cool you can get the Bold now.

11-26-10 11:12 AM
    This is happening so often. FIRST OFF - believe it Will Happen!!!

Happened to me and thank goodness i read these forums. First get it out of the water fast and take out the battery. Go but a bag of rice and then take out all cards from the phone, out the phone in the rice and seal the bag up and then freak out, fret, stress, pray,,,whatever you need. Wait 2 or three days (man that is hard), and then put it together and try it out.
    Worked for me, (thank everything beyond my scope!) and now I am wiser, it will happen to you, trust that and be ready, and spread the word, read the forums!!
    Never turn it on to test it until you have done the above!!
    11-26-10 09:53 PM
    My phone got wet too...I put a water bottle in my bag and didn't realize the top was loose, so when it leaked, my phone got wet. Foolishly, I wiped it off with a towel and noticed it was still on and pressed a few keys before I remembered what I *should* have done, and the screen started flickering. Then I remembered to take off the back cover and pull the battery, and I put the body of the phone, upside down, on a towel while I set up the rice treatment. I figured since the way water gets INTO the electronic components of the phone is through the keyboard, putting it upside down would maybe let gravity help some of the water drain out.

I poured some rice into a little square plastic storage container (the kind that will hold a sandwich) and laid the phone, still upside down, on the rice, put the battery in the container next to the phone, and poured a little more rice over both items before closing the container.

This happened on a Friday night, so I checked on it the next day around noon, shook off the rice grains, put everything back together, and all was well. As others have said, if the phone had really gotten soaked or submerged instead of just splashed, I would have left it another day or two to dry out.

There are other things that will absorb moisture, but rice is good because the grains are big enough to see and easily remove. So they aren't likely to get stuck under the keyboard or somewhere else in the phone's electrical system, like silica gel crystals or corn meal could.
    11-28-10 10:51 PM
    Silica bags do the trick as well.
    11-29-10 11:43 AM
    I had the misfortune of dropping my Tour in the river fishing one day. I watched it sinking to the bottom (only about a foot deep) with the screen lit up as it sunk.
    I quickly reached down and grabbed it and pulled the battery and continued fishing.
    When I got home I disassembled my Tour and dried everything as best as I could. Reassembled it and put the battery back in. Everything seemed fine. I got the loading screen with the scrolling bar at the bottom, then all of a sudden it started flickering, so I pulled the battery and took it apart again. Used some compressed air on it this time and reassembled. Put the battery in again and same thing. I decided to let it go and see what happened. I plugged it in as usual when I went to bed and when I woke in the morning it was like nothing ever happened.
    11-30-10 10:24 AM
    If your phone is fried from dropping it in water don't tell the insurance co that. A VZW rep told me as soon as you tell them that you are SOL.
    11-30-10 08:33 PM
    Silica bags do the trick as well.
    Good point, if you have enough of them handy when needed.
    12-01-10 02:22 AM
    I had the misfortune of dropping my Tour in the river fishing one day. I watched it sinking to the bottom (only about a foot deep) with the screen lit up as it sunk.
    I quickly reached down and grabbed it and pulled the battery and continued fishing.
    When I got home I disassembled my Tour and dried everything as best as I could. Reassembled it and put the battery back in. Everything seemed fine. I got the loading screen with the scrolling bar at the bottom, then all of a sudden it started flickering, so I pulled the battery and took it apart again. Used some compressed air on it this time and reassembled. Put the battery in again and same thing. I decided to let it go and see what happened. I plugged it in as usual when I went to bed and when I woke in the morning it was like nothing ever happened.
    Glad this worked for you. One of the potential problems with using the compressed air is the same as with using a hair dryer...it might actually force some of the water further INTO the electronic guts of the phone, where the water might do more damage, or get stuck in a place where it won't dry out as quickly. Hope your phone doesn't decide to "go fishin" on its own again any time soon, but if it does, try the rice!
    12-01-10 02:28 AM
    friend of mine dropped their iphone4 in the toilet (iono how). Put it in some uncooked rice for two days and it works!
    12-06-10 11:22 AM
    Hope the phone took the plunge while the water was still CLEAN!
    12-06-10 10:44 PM
    your best bet in my honest opinion is to take the bb all the way apart, i have liquid damaged phones come in for repair almost everyday, it just happens, the most common problem that i come across after putting one back together (after letting it dry out) is the keyboard not working, or typing random letters, most likely the contact pads have corrosion on them which is causing the letters to type at random
    12-10-10 07:05 PM
    your best bet in my honest opinion is to take the bb all the way apart, i have liquid damaged phones come in for repair almost everyday, it just happens, the most common problem that i come across after putting one back together (after letting it dry out) is the keyboard not working, or typing random letters, most likely the contact pads have corrosion on them which is causing the letters to type at random
    That's what was happening to my Tour after I dropped it in water and put it back together. 2 more days in the bag of rice and a new keyboard fixed the issue for me.
    12-10-10 07:47 PM
    That's what was happening to my Tour after I dropped it in water and put it back together. 2 more days in the bag of rice and a new keyboard fixed the issue for me.
    GOOD! i always feel kinda bad for the owner when i see the dreaded red stickers when i open em up lol i wonder if RIM will ever make a mil-spec Blackberry!
    12-10-10 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD