Awww. Home sweet home. First let me apologize for leaving BB in the first place I know i deserve 10 lashings for this so whip away. So i read all the reviews and bought into the hype and made the switch. Let me give you the review and rundown that the fan boys wont talk about.
    1. The phone is a brick and weighs 10lbs. Dont underestimate how much this will begin to irritate you. I felt like i should have carried it in a bag over my shoulder after the first full day.
    2. Battery life sucks especially when you run email adress without POP support like my 2 yahoo accounts because it tries to connect every so often. This will destroy battery life and i should have learned this from my iphone.
    3. Once you do finally set up the emails for non pop accounts and they retrive a email every (15mins) if you dont go into the alert and physically click the email to open the phone alerts you again in another 15mins when it repulls the email. this is annoying!!!
    4. on calls over 20 minutes long the phone gets so hot it will burn your ear off.
    5. By the way while your ear is on fire the metal ring around the screen will begin to dig in and hurt(and no i am not pushing hard on it just normal)
    6. Lets continue dowm the road of crappy hardware and comment on the slider,. On the non hinge side of the screen there is seperation from the bottom slider so it clicks when you tap the screen to select icons. this happens on the entire left side of the screen. This is ok for a lg chocolate but not a 600 dollar iphone killer.
    7. The volume button is cheap and fits like it is to small for the housing(it wiggles freely).
    8. The bottom buttons on the screen work about 50 percent of the time.
    9. In moderte light situations the screen will stay dark when removed from the face and you cannot end a call.
    10. Portarit keyboard is good, landscape on screen is marginal and qwerty is useless.
    11. If you run your life by google the change is easy. If not(like me) set aside about 2 hours to have your self up and running.
    12. did i mention no password keeper, notes, or task list programs. Also no way to hide pictures from memory card.(yes you can down load apps for password keeper and picture vault but who wants 35 icons on the home screen.)
    14. App store is great but most of the free apps want access to alot of your phones information. Should a tetris type game need my network and location info? i dont think so.

Now to the positive...If you run your life by google, intergration is a breeze.
    2. screen is great and phone is fast(athogh transition through the home screens is sluggish not nearly as nice as eris =with sense ui)
    3. browser rivals iphone.

So if me you use your phone to watch movies and surf the web this phone is for you. Me, i have a laptop for that and want a phone to be a business tool not a glorified nintendo ds.
    Again this is just my opinion and it was not established from being ignorant of android software because i am not.
    So my advice is think hard before you burn an upgrade. You never know what you have until it is gone. Sorry for gramatical errors or misspellings i am tired.
    Thanks for reading....b
    11-11-09 10:03 PM
    Sweet welcome back! Go download .230 and one of the new hybrids, wicked fast and stable!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-09 10:09 PM
    Now you know nothing beats a BB. Welcome back.
    11-11-09 10:13 PM
    Now you know nothing beats a BB. Welcome back.
    thanks everyone. Should i post this in the android forum or just leave it here? i kindof feel like people need to hear this?
    11-11-09 10:15 PM
    Dude, you're not the only one. One by one everyone is slowly coming back but the fanboi have no clue cuz they too busy defending every criticism/opinion that comes there way. Holy smoke did you check out their forum on crackberry lately? Its like a civil war going on over there and cereal killer is Hitler.lol. I get amused reading some of their thread. Great entertainment! But yeah, I had the same views and post my impression only to get slam as if the Droid was invincible. Those sliders are hideous and after reading Phonewreck I could see why. Amazing!! Simplest slider ever made.lol Don't post this over there since you just gonna add more fuel to the fire.

Last edited by noized77; 11-11-09 at 10:31 PM.
    11-11-09 10:29 PM
    Welcome Back!! Myself I just came from an Instinct,, I know it's not an Android, but all the bells and whistles don't cut it anymore in my book. I will take my Tour anyday over the previous smartphones I've owned. Guess it's up to you on posting your thread on the Droid forum.. might make you feel better letting them know you are back with a real phone!!!
    11-11-09 10:40 PM
    I really liked it until I went to the Verizon store and played with it for about 15 minutes....
    11-11-09 10:43 PM
    P.S. Welcome BACK!!!
    11-11-09 10:46 PM
    I really liked it until I went to the Verizon store and played with it for about 15 minutes....
    Hands on always tells the story.. I know it did for me at the Sprint store the first time I picked up the Tour and started playing around on it!! Won't be looking back now!!
    11-11-09 11:13 PM
    This is what I got slammed for...
    "Well, I've had enough time playing around with the Droid to give a fair first impression. Unfortunately, it wasn't a great of a device as I had hope for, considering I was looking to leave my Tour for one. My initial impression was enough to hold me back.

First of all the screen's clarity wasn't any better then Tour despite the higher number of pixels. I'm a resolution/hi-def freak and I can honestly say they're about the same quality to the naked eye. The only time I can see a difference is if I get a very small text from a web page to a point where you can barely see it and blow them up X5, the Droid text is a little less blurry then the Tour in this regard. If you look at the web-site normally, both unit had the same clarity and on certain website the Tour looked sharper. I was really suprised that the Tour LCD was really that good(480X360 vs 800X600?). Anyone with a Tour as a second phone, do the test that I did and see for yourself and let us know. On a side note, Eris looked much worse then both the Droid and Tour. A phone I was eying on as well. Overall, I'd rather have the Droid LCD considering the large size.

The browser is great as expected. I did a comparison test with my Tour using Opera Mini 5 and it beat the tour loading up the same page by 3-5 sec on 3G. There were a few instances, where both are about equal. Default for default the Droid kills the BB browser, but Bolt/Mini5 can hold there own pretty well.

The camera were much worse compared to the Tours. Not only does it takes forever to shoot, but the photos had a lot of noise. I test the quality of the pic by taking the same pic(Droid spec sheet display) from each phone and blowing them up and I see much more noise on the Droid and the text in the pic were unreadable.

The LED were too small and doesn't emit enough light for my liking. It looks like a small dot compared to the Bright LED from BBs. Its a big deal for me since I can look at my phone's LED from across the room and see the alert, but I would've had a hard time seeing the Droid's LED alert.

I was expecting the Youtube player to be superior, but its not much better then the Tour. Its still blurry, but not as bad as the Tour. I was expecting hi-def videos like the pre or even the iPhone. I'm blaming the Youtube feed for this though. For some reason I thought it was compatible with youtube's feed.

The OS and interface looks much better then my Tour no doubt(duh). Its sleek and I love the 3 home screen along with the widget customization. I'm not sure how much I can customize but from the reviews, it seems you can do more then BBs in this department(without using 3rd party apps). Multi tasking was a breeze though I still think the Pre is still the champ at this.

Build quality along with the flat keyboard were not too great. It wiggles and had some play when the KB is not slide out. That kinda annoyed me a little bit since I like to carry my phone in my front pocket where it moves around a lot. Just can't imagine this phone can hold the abuse. The keyboard looked and felt cheap to my hands. They felt uncomfortable when typing especially on the top row since they were to close to the bottom of the LCD making it cramped. It will take sometimes to get use to, that's for sure.

I wish I can get to messaging,emails and call department but I did not have enough time to play around. With that said, I'm not ready to upgrade just yet considering the issues above and the things the Droid do better then my Tour wasn't enough to warrant me a purchase at this point in time.

A couple of pics I took on my Tour at the Verizon store."

11-11-09 11:20 PM
    This is what I got slammed for...
    "Well, I've had enough time playing around with the Droid to give a fair first impression. Unfortunately, it wasn't a great of a device as I had hope for, considering I was looking to leave my Tour for one. My initial impression was enough to hold me back.

First of all the screen's clarity wasn't any better then Tour despite the higher number of pixels. I'm a resolution/hi-def freak and I can honestly say they're about the same quality to the naked eye. The only time I can see a difference is if I get a very small text from a web page to a point where you can barely see it and blow them up X5, the Droid text is a little less blurry then the Tour in this regard. If you look at the web-site normally, both unit had the same clarity and on certain website the Tour looked sharper. I was really suprised that the Tour LCD was really that good(480X360 vs 800X600?). Anyone with a Tour as a second phone, do the test that I did and see for yourself and let us know. On a side note, Eris looked much worse then both the Droid and Tour. A phone I was eying on as well. Overall, I'd rather have the Droid LCD considering the large size.

The browser is great as expected. I did a comparison test with my Tour using Opera Mini 5 and it beat the tour loading up the same page by 3-5 sec on 3G. There were a few instances, where both are about equal. Default for default the Droid kills the BB browser, but Bolt/Mini5 can hold there own pretty well.

The camera were much worse compared to the Tours. Not only does it takes forever to shoot, but the photos had a lot of noise. I test the quality of the pic by taking the same pic(Droid spec sheet display) from each phone and blowing them up and I see much more noise on the Droid and the text in the pic were unreadable.

The LED were too small and doesn't emit enough light for my liking. It looks like a small dot compared to the Bright LED from BBs. Its a big deal for me since I can look at my phone's LED from across the room and see the alert, but I would've had a hard time seeing the Droid's LED alert.

I was expecting the Youtube player to be superior, but its not much better then the Tour. Its still blurry, but not as bad as the Tour. I was expecting hi-def videos like the pre or even the iPhone. I'm blaming the Youtube feed for this though. For some reason I thought it was compatible with youtube's feed.

The OS and interface looks much better then my Tour no doubt(duh). Its sleek and I love the 3 home screen along with the widget customization. I'm not sure how much I can customize but from the reviews, it seems you can do more then BBs in this department(without using 3rd party apps). Multi tasking was a breeze though I still think the Pre is still the champ at this.

Build quality along with the flat keyboard were not too great. It wiggles and had some play when the KB is not slide out. That kinda annoyed me a little bit since I like to carry my phone in my front pocket where it moves around a lot. Just can't imagine this phone can hold the abuse. The keyboard looked and felt cheap to my hands. They felt uncomfortable when typing especially on the top row since they were to close to the bottom of the LCD making it cramped. It will take sometimes to get use to, that's for sure.

I wish I can get to messaging,emails and call department but I did not have enough time to play around. With that said, I'm not ready to upgrade just yet considering the issues above and the things the Droid do better then my Tour wasn't enough to warrant me a purchase at this point in time.

A couple of pics I took on my Tour at the Verizon store."

11-11-09 11:21 PM
    Awww. Home sweet home. First let me apologize for leaving BB in the first place I know i deserve 10 lashings for this so whip away. So i read all the reviews and bought into the hype and made the switch. Let me give you the review and rundown that the fan boys wont talk about.
    1. The phone is a brick and weighs 10lbs. Dont underestimate how much this will begin to irritate you. I felt like i should have carried it in a bag over my shoulder after the first full day.
    2. Battery life sucks especially when you run email adress without POP support like my 2 yahoo accounts because it tries to connect every so often. This will destroy battery life and i should have learned this from my iphone.
    3. Once you do finally set up the emails for non pop accounts and they retrive a email every (15mins) if you dont go into the alert and physically click the email to open the phone alerts you again in another 15mins when it repulls the email. this is annoying!!!
    4. on calls over 20 minutes long the phone gets so hot it will burn your ear off.
    5. By the way while your ear is on fire the metal ring around the screen will begin to dig in and hurt(and no i am not pushing hard on it just normal)
    6. Lets continue dowm the road of crappy hardware and comment on the slider,. On the non hinge side of the screen there is seperation from the bottom slider so it clicks when you tap the screen to select icons. this happens on the entire left side of the screen. This is ok for a lg chocolate but not a 600 dollar iphone killer.
    7. The volume button is cheap and fits like it is to small for the housing(it wiggles freely).
    8. The bottom buttons on the screen work about 50 percent of the time.
    9. In moderte light situations the screen will stay dark when removed from the face and you cannot end a call.
    10. Portarit keyboard is good, landscape on screen is marginal and qwerty is useless.
    11. If you run your life by google the change is easy. If not(like me) set aside about 2 hours to have your self up and running.
    12. did i mention no password keeper, notes, or task list programs. Also no way to hide pictures from memory card.(yes you can down load apps for password keeper and picture vault but who wants 35 icons on the home screen.)
    14. App store is great but most of the free apps want access to alot of your phones information. Should a tetris type game need my network and location info? i dont think so.

Now to the positive...If you run your life by google, intergration is a breeze.
    2. screen is great and phone is fast(athogh transition through the home screens is sluggish not nearly as nice as eris =with sense ui)
    3. browser rivals iphone.

So if me you use your phone to watch movies and surf the web this phone is for you. Me, i have a laptop for that and want a phone to be a business tool not a glorified nintendo ds.
    Again this is just my opinion and it was not established from being ignorant of android software because i am not.
    So my advice is think hard before you burn an upgrade. You never know what you have until it is gone. Sorry for gramatical errors or misspellings i am tired.
    Thanks for reading....b
    Good review. "Glorified nintendo ds". That's classic. There is a big difference between someone that just watches videos, looks up stuff on the web, and texts vs. someone that actually gets work done on the device. The BB can still play, as we all know. It can do it all, but the emphasis is on being efficient.
    11-11-09 11:41 PM
    (I was expecting the Youtube player to be superior, but its not much better then the Tour. Its still blurry, but not as bad as the Tour.
    I was expecting hi-def videos like the pre or even the iPhone
    ).

To get the quality you was looking for in Youtube, you had to go in the menu and choose HI Def either while the video is loading or you can pick it while the video is playing, which is a choice that BB doesn't give us on none of their phones, so we always get the grainy Youtube videos. I thought maybe it was just my phone that had the loose volume button, it is cheaply made to be a mostly or all metal phone. I have had a all metal phone before and it did get hot on my ear but at that time we didn't have bluetooths. I wondered if the Droid would have a heat issue, but in using a bluetooth I didn't notice. Whether the Droid is a good or bad phone, it stole alot of the S2 thunder on S2 launch day, the S1 had better sales on its launch day, so at the least I hope that RIM realizes they are going to have to make some better OS changes to keep up with changing times and not repeat known issues with their phones or they will continue to lose people out of curiosity, some will come back, and some won't.
    Last edited by Fasblac; 11-12-09 at 12:31 AM.
    11-12-09 12:24 AM
    Haha. I was waiting for these types of threads to start hitting the boards. I too have wandered over to the Android on CB and, like posted above, anyone that has a negative review of the D R O I D gets slammed hard!! A lot of my friends are saying they want the Droid and are buying into the hype and marketing. I'll stick with my Tour thank you. Nice write-up OP. Cheers
    11-12-09 12:37 AM
    This makes me proud to have previously owned five tours, #6 is coming in Friday.
    11-12-09 01:09 AM
    ^ I don't even know whether that should be taken in as sarcasm or not.
    11-12-09 01:10 AM
    WELCOME HOME! i played with the droid and was not impressed. the touch screen was amazing i thought but the rest kinda ruined it for me. it is def a speedy device i will not take it away but it felt cheap too me. and from previous motorola phones ive owned ill never own a moto device ever again!
    11-12-09 08:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD