Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Angry Downloaded OS .484 from Sprint, but it installed .624!!!

Swapped out my Tour today. It came with OS 4.7. I followed the directions and downloaded .484 from Sprint, NOT .624. I am positive that I downloaded .484 -- in fact, .624 isn't even available for download from Sprint on their website! However, I check with OS is now on my Tour, and it is .624!!!! And I have the browser click issue! How did this happen, and how can I get .484?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,676 Global Posts
    PIN
    HEAD - Don't be one

Did you have .624 on your old Tour? If so, did you uninstall it from your pc before installing .484? If you didn't uninstall it from your pc, I think we have found your problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by travelingfool View Post
    Did you have .624 on your old Tour? If so, did you uninstall it from your pc before installing .484? If you didn't uninstall it from your pc, I think we have found your problem

No, I had .484 on that one. I've never even had DM installed on my computer, let alone synched it, so I have no idea how this happened.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,676 Global Posts
    PIN
    HEAD - Don't be one

Can you copy and paste the entire file name of the os you downloaded? The one that begins with 9630AMEA

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,172 Global Posts

When you were loading the OS, what version did the Application Loader tell you it was loading?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks for the help guys! I'll try to answer the questions by telling you exactly what I did:

Went to this division of Sprint's site: Sprint Software Downloads - Smartphones - BlackBerry® Tour™ 9630 Smartphone

Clicked on the "download" link where it says:

Technical Specifications:
    Dated: 2/16/2010
    Software Version: 5.0.0.484
    Download (101MB)
    The name of the file it downloaded was called "BlackBerry9630_5.0.0.484," and it was 101 MB. NOTE: It downloaded directly when I clicked on that link (it didn't forward me to the official blackberry site or anything).

The application loader (I think that's what this is anyway...) is called "501_b073_multilanguage_nomediamanager"

Any ideas what I went wrong??? Is this not actually .484?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,676 Global Posts
    PIN
    HEAD - Don't be one

Nope, you did it right. That's the right file. So, when you go to Options / About on your bb, the number after the v is 5.0.0.624 and not 5.0.0.484?

CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by travelingfool View Post
    Nope, you did it right. That's the right file. So, when you go to Options / About on your bb, the number after the v is 5.0.0.624 and not 5.0.0.484?

Correct! And I know for sure that it is .624 on there because it has the dreaded browser click problem. Should I try again? Did my desktop manager somehow update itself (to bypass .484 and upgrade directly to .624)? Sprint said, "Maybe the website mislabeled the link and called it .484 even though it is actually .624," but it seems odd to me that they would rename .624 data/files as Tour9630_5.0.0.484.

Right now I downgraded back to 4.7.1.57, but it seems weird (the text is tiny, the icons look funny, media is separated, etc. almost like it has some 5.0 qualities).

Also, directly on blackberry.com, they have 2 versions of .624 listed (it appears that there is merely a difference in supported languages between the two of them), but NO .484..... the next version is 4.7. Did they do away with .484???
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you used desktop manager to upgrade the OS it would automatically default to .624 if you were connected to the internet no matter what OS you downloaded and installed. If you wanted to install .484, you should have used AppLoader or read the notices on Desktop Manager.

You will need to search this site to find out how to downgrade your OS.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,893 Global Posts

Downgrading is easy. Go back to the Sprint website and make sure you download 484 and run it. Go into the application loader on DM. It will give you the choice to downgrade to 484. Choose that and all should be fine in about 30 minutes.
    Incidentally, I find it odd that 624 isn't on the Sprint website anywhere. Something fishy about that new OS.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaraP View Post
    Thanks for the help guys! I'll try to answer the questions by telling you exactly what I did:

Went to this division of Sprint's site: Sprint Software Downloads - Smartphones - BlackBerry® Tour™ 9630 Smartphone

Clicked on the "download" link where it says:

The name of the file it downloaded was called "BlackBerry9630_5.0.0.484," and it was 101 MB. NOTE: It downloaded directly when I clicked on that link (it didn't forward me to the official blackberry site or anything).

The application loader (I think that's what this is anyway...) is called "501_b073_multilanguage_nomediamanager"

Any ideas what I went wrong??? Is this not actually .484?
    I did the exact same thing you described above. DL .484 from the Sprint site, ran the install, and then under DM/Application Loader, choose downgrade to .484. I'm back to .484 and no more browser click issue.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Ask me..

Sure wish I had popped in here today just to browse. I was doing my monthly backup of the wifes Tour. The DM showed the update to the OS and I didn't give it a second thought....never had any real issues with any of my BB's to this point. Needless to say the device is bricked. Not real certain what happened, or to be honest which version it was trying to load...
    From reading here it may be .624.
    I finally got the device back to the point where I can run the app loader and am trying to get .484 back on it..
    Fun Times!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Downgrading is easy. Go back to the Sprint website and make sure you download 484 and run it. Go into the application loader on DM. It will give you the choice to downgrade to 484. Choose that and all should be fine in about 30 minutes.
    Incidentally, I find it odd that 624 isn't on the Sprint website anywhere. Something fishy about that new OS.

Quote Originally Posted by KC1988 View Post
    I did the exact same thing you described above. DL .484 from the Sprint site, ran the install, and then under DM/Application Loader, choose downgrade to .484. I'm back to .484 and no more browser click issue.
    Okay, I'm trying again!! I downloaded it from Sprint's site (following procedure above), chose to "Run" it after it was saved (I'm logged into my computer as the administrator, so the only option was "Run as Administrator" .... and I chose that.... Does that make a difference?). Then it did the whole install thing and said it was successful. I then opened up DM and clicked on Application Loaded. It then told me to plug in my device, which I did. After it did some 3 step process of checking configurations, it told me "No software is available for your device." I have the option of "Browse..." and I could locate the original file that I saved from Sprint (I don't know if that's just the installer though....). What do I do next?

EDIT: I disconnected from the internet during this time (if that is relevant). Thank you!
    Last edited by CaraP; 05-13-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

Forget about DM. Just go to c/ program files/ common files/ rim appl loader and start the application loader up. That should install the OS on your device.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Mistik1973 View Post
    Forget about DM. Just go to c/ program files/ common files/ rim appl loader and start the application loader up. That should install the OS on your device.
    Okay, I'm trying this now! I found that program you're talking about, and once I was in that, it showed me 5.0.0.484 definitively. I checked each individual component, and with the exception of one still saying 4.7.something, the rest all said 5.0.0.484. *crosses fingers*

P.S. When I was on the phone with Sprint tech support last night, they had me do some kind of reset where I had to enter ##and three numbers, then the MSL. The device said "Wiping," got to 100%, then jumped back down to 1% and said "Wiping" again until it reached 100% for a second time. Also, when I did this, it kept OS 5.0.0.624 on there..... they told me that A) it shouldn't have done the wiping procedure twice, and B) it should have restored it to the OS that it came with. Is that right, or is it just another one of their lies?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Okay, I did that procedure, and it "worked," but my phone is stuck rebooting (the black screen with Blackberry and a progress bar in white at the bottom). It has stayed at about 70% across the screen with no progress whatsoever for over 6 minutes now..... Any idea what's up with that???
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Okay, I did that procedure, and it "worked," but my phone is stuck rebooting (the black screen with Blackberry and a progress bar in white at the bottom). It has stayed at about 70% across the screen with no progress whatsoever for over 6 minutes now..... Any idea what's up with that???
    It is just a long reboot....some can take upwards of 10 minutes. Just be patient and if it doesn't complete in about another 5 minutes then you can worry a little.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

All right...... it finished booting up, and I think I'd like to marry everyone on this thread please. It worked!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

glad we could be of some help. enjoy .484
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,893 Global Posts

All right...... it finished booting up, and I think I'd like to marry everyone on this thread please. It worked!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations!