Hey everyone

So, my goal is that I would like to use my Verizon Tour on the Sprint Network...

I've read that it can't be done (it can, but you have to coax the representative to add ur phone into the sprint system and all that)

From what I can tell, the hardware is the exact same (I have been reading quite a lot of forum posts the past couple days)

So i thought 'Why can't I just download the sprint software for the tour so i can use all the sprint specific software and what not!?!'

here is what i've done and where i'm stuck at...

I whiped the OS on the phone (JL_Cmder v1.9.1), dl'd the DM from sprint, and dl'd the OS from sprint (5.0.0.624) ... and when everything was whiped and installed, EVERYTHING IS STILL VERIZON!!!!!

I'm assumming I just DL'd a general update OS, so I'm wondering where I can find the specific SPRINT TOUR 9630 software and try this all over again... assuming this is even possible...

The phone is nice, I'm usuing it to replace my broken phone and don't want to pay a lot to upgrade/replace my old phone... PLEASE someone help or at least direct me to the appropriate forum thread, because i have been looking for 2 days and I can't find anyone with anything attempting or actually doing what i'm trying to accomplish

THank YoU!!!
    09-10-10 02:36 AM
    You cannot use a Verizon device on the Sprint network. Trying to get a representative to do it risks them losing their job.

The device software will not make a difference. The devices are activated based upon the ESN.

Loading the device OS from another carrier will not erase the branding from the device. The branding is burned into the ROM and cannot be legally changed.
    09-10-10 05:54 AM
    +1 Mama, well said.

Sorry OP, you're better off to sell it and buy a Sprint device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-10 07:33 AM
    I was looking into having my BB flashed, or doing it myself. This seems to be able to erase a lot of the Firmware that is perminent on the phone, allowing me to upload another carriers software.

As far as them getting fired, that doesn't make any sense, since here in CA (I'm not sure where u are located) every carrier has to allow users to be able to move their phone from one carrier to another. So there shouldn't be anyt reason for them to get fired (I also called and the representative read me off a reason why from the 'sprint handbook' and everything they said mostly had to do with software that another carrier doesnt have like telenav and other internet related programs)

I don't mean to say anyone is wrong, I just don't see why it can't be done, when it should be able to be done (it just takes a little work to do)
    09-10-10 12:47 PM
    even if you flash it, the ESN is not the system and they won't add it. Sprint is not based in CA so that won't work imo.

You should be able to but you can't. All the software b**** they tell is not true. Its pure that the ESN is not in their system
    09-10-10 10:12 PM
    I was looking into having my BB flashed, or doing it myself. This seems to be able to erase a lot of the Firmware that is perminent on the phone, allowing me to upload another carriers software.

As far as them getting fired, that doesn't make any sense, since here in CA (I'm not sure where u are located) every carrier has to allow users to be able to move their phone from one carrier to another. So there shouldn't be anyt reason for them to get fired (I also called and the representative read me off a reason why from the 'sprint handbook' and everything they said mostly had to do with software that another carrier doesnt have like telenav and other internet related programs)

I don't mean to say anyone is wrong, I just don't see why it can't be done, when it should be able to be done (it just takes a little work to do)
    Uh, about your highlighted statement, you are allowed to transfer your telephone number. Transferring the device is another matter altogether. The major CDMA carriers do not allow the devices from another carrier to be entered into their system. Period. Cellular devices and their licensing are regulated at the Federal level, not the state.

This question and frustration has been addressed in these threads probably several hundred times in the almost two years I've been here. You were given advice, by experienced members, to make a swap or sell the device to someone who can use it and buy the device you need. You are not going to change the carriers' policies no matter how many times you think it can or should be allowed.

If you mess the device up, the snafu is on you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 09-10-10 at 10:35 PM.
    09-10-10 10:29 PM
    I'm really not all that surprised to get the responses I've been getting, and I do appriciate the time taken out to help me...

I just like a good challenge and if I find a way without bricking my BB, I'll let you all know, Thanks again!

I have come across several pay sites that say they can flash any CDMA phone for a different CDMA network... does anyone know if these work? Just wondering, beacuse if I'm having this much trouble myself, i'd like to know if it's simply the software i'm using, or the phones themselves

Just wondering, Thank You!
    09-11-10 01:40 AM
    I'm really not all that surprised to get the responses I've been getting, and I do appriciate the time taken out to help me...

I just like a good challenge and if I find a way without bricking my BB, I'll let you all know, Thanks again!

I have come across several pay sites that say they can flash any CDMA phone for a different CDMA network... does anyone know if these work? Just wondering, beacuse if I'm having this much trouble myself, i'd like to know if it's simply the software i'm using, or the phones themselves

Just wondering, Thank You!
    Since you don't seem to comprehend, IT IS THE PHONES THEMSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!
    09-11-10 01:53 AM
    As far as "flashing", some minor CDMA carriers will allow a device on their network that has been flashed from another carrier. For example, some people have been successful at using a flashed Sprint device on Boost.

But the MAJOR CDMA carriers (Verizon and Sprint) will not allow it.

But good luck.
    09-11-10 06:47 AM
    Here's how things are with cdma carriers. They have a big list of esn numbers. Each cdma phone has its own esn number(finger print). When you try to get your verizon tour on sprint's network. Its gonna throw up flags. Because the verizon esn isn't in the sprint's database. Also before you can even go to try and activate it. You have to get the data settings working for sprint. Which can be a pain.

This is not something that any old person can do. Most of the people that know how to get one carriers phone working on another carriers network. Don't do it. Cause it takes hours upon hours to get it working. And sometimes not everything will work.

No one here is saying its impossible. Its just really really hard. Especially with a tour. A phone that isn't worth that much at the moment. It would be easier for you to just get a Sprint tour. Look on craigslist, your bound to find one for a good price on there.
    09-11-10 01:42 PM
    Well it is impossible to get a Sprint phone working on VZW and the other way around. period. Even if you flash it. Flashing doesn't make the esn appear on Sprint or VZW's esn list. Settings can be loaded on your phone with service books, but again they just won't do it.

Boost allows Sprint phones on their network as they are owned by Sprint. Most smaller cdma carrier's allow other carrier's phone on their networks as they need the customers. GSM carrier's cannot stop it as they work with GSM's.

So go ahead, flash your phone, it won't help you. Jschmidt you keep giving him the impression it can be done. It can't, unless you get Sprint to add the phone to tjheir ESN list and that simply won't happen.

Your best chance is to swap it with someone who has the same problem but then the other way around
    Last edited by Mistik1973; 09-13-10 at 10:41 AM.
    09-13-10 10:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD