According to my VWZ rep, I can use my BlackBerry unlimited Internet access plan to download files...

I tried to d/l -

9630 Hybrid 50v8.0 (5.0.0.419 Based)

BBHybrids Forums - Downloads - 9630 Hybrid 50v8.0 (5.0.0.419 Based)

- Via my Tour 9630, and got this error msg -

HTTP Error 413: Request
    Entity Too Large

The page you requested
    could not be loaded.
    Please try loading a
    different page.

How can I d/l a hybrid via my BlackBerry, rather than my dial-up PC connection??? That file would take me 6 - 8 hours via my dial-up Verizon phone line...
    01-14-10 01:41 PM
    The stock browser has a file size download limit. Use Bolt or Opera browser to bypass this limit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 02:15 PM
    You can download a lot of files on the Tour, but not all files. It looks like you're trying to download a hybrid OS, but there are a few problems with that:

1 - Like the error message says, the file is too big to download on your Tour. I don't know what the file size limit is, but I have gotten that error before when trying to download large files.

2 - Even if you could download the hybrid OS file, you still need to get it onto your PC at some point, because there's no way to install a hybrid OS directly from your phone.

3 - A hybrid OS needs to have a base version installed before the hybrid can be installed, so you first have to download and install (on your PC) whatever that base OS version is, then download and install the hybrid OS on top of that (again on your PC), then install the resulting hybrid OS from your PC to your phone.

4 - Never ever take a VZW rep at their word without first double-checking on this site or other similar sites. Granted, some reps do know what they're talking about, but not all do, so it's best to at least get an "independent" second opinion.

Enjoy your Tour!
    01-14-10 02:20 PM
    Yes, I'm trying to D/L from my BlackBerry because my dial-up connection (no broadband here) is so slow...I have the base O/S...I can transfer the file via Mass Storage Mode to my PC where BBDM is...

There is a thread where the BB port used has a 2.3MB file limit...set by RIM...

I did find one hack that involves a supplied .IPD file, but that seems too complicated for me at this stage of my BlackBerry development...

Opera Mini was suggested...I may try that...

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by ferretface; 01-14-10 at 02:42 PM.
    01-14-10 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD