I unlocked my phone like 5 times so I can use it with the sim card before I go abroad. I was just wondering is there anything I have to turn off or turn on before leave the U.S that I should know about( I'm using philippines sim card not verizon's)
    12-21-09 04:00 AM
    I don't know if it matters but I've heard some people suggestion that you call Verizon and let them know you will be out of the country. Even if you are using a foreign simcard. I'm not sure why. I guess it can't hurt.

Have a great trip.
    12-21-09 08:28 AM
    Yes. Go into Options>Mobile Network>Network Technology and change it to GSM/UMTS. If you don't, then if verizon has an agreement with a carrier in your destination country, you'll get hit with fees. It's almost $10/mb in some countries. $.50 per outgoing text, and like, $5 a minute. You'll get hit with those astronomical chargers if you don't change this, as your phone defaults to 1X/EV even if verizon's service isn't present in your country.
    12-21-09 08:42 AM
    And make sure you check that EVERY TIME you reboot. DO NOT set Options>Mobile Network>Network Technology to Global.

Also...

I unlocked my phone like 5 times...
    This is odd. It only takes one unlock, and once you unlock it once, it's unlocked forever.
    12-21-09 01:24 PM
    When you come back, do let us know how it worked out for you.
    12-21-09 01:29 PM
    I just unlocked my Tour today, and the CSR said to do a "*228, option 2" before I leave.
    12-21-09 06:03 PM
    That's going to update your PRL. While good to do normally while using the service in the US, pointless if you're using a foreign SIM when travelling.
    12-21-09 06:08 PM
    thanks guys.. ya verizon told me to do the same with the *228 thing.Anyway i'll tell everyone if it works.. cross your fingers that it does. =)
    12-22-09 03:21 AM
    That's going to update your PRL. While good to do normally while using the service in the US, pointless if you're using a foreign SIM when travelling.
    What's a "PRL"?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 06:14 AM
    What's a "PRL"?

Preferred Roaming List. A set of instructions which tells your device which towers to run off of, in order to maintain the best service.

12-22-09 06:28 AM
    And make sure you check that EVERY TIME you reboot. DO NOT set Options>Mobile Network>Network Technology to Global.

Also...

This is odd. It only takes one unlock, and once you unlock it once, it's unlocked forever.
    i had 5 different tours cause each one broke lol and everytime i get a new one i have to unlock it again
    12-27-09 05:38 AM
    and by the way... pray this works.. i really hope this doesn't fail me
    12-27-09 05:40 AM
    Yes. Go into Options>Mobile Network>Network Technology and change it to GSM/UMTS. If you don't, then if verizon has an agreement with a carrier in your destination country, you'll get hit with fees. It's almost $10/mb in some countries. $.50 per outgoing text, and like, $5 a minute. You'll get hit with those astronomical chargers if you don't change this, as your phone defaults to 1X/EV even if verizon's service isn't present in your country.
    this is the right thing to do. Some carriers do have agreements with carriers in foreign countires and using BIS during roaming can be very expensive.
    12-27-09 10:24 AM
    So i'm in the Philippines now I tried my sim card from him ( smart sim card) the text works.. I have yet to get the internet to work..
    12-29-09 03:20 PM
    SO i can't use internet here because i need a blackberry plan.. i can only text here and call.. ugh
    01-07-10 07:51 PM
    Well, there is still the verizon Global plan. $65/month divided by your time there and reduced by your normal BIS (???) plans $30/month divided by your time.

Swap the sim card to bounce back and forth.
    01-07-10 08:04 PM
    i've had my data on but i'm on gsm and i havn't used internet or anything cause i have none here.. i won't get charge in the states right?
    01-11-10 08:56 PM
    Email is data, I believe. You should be able to go to Manage Connections and turn off data.

How are you visiting this site, Crackberry?
    01-12-10 12:18 AM
    I"m on crackberry by wifi on my macbook pro
    01-12-10 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD