Didn't bother me at first, figured it needed broken in. But it's kind of getting annoying. Trackball has a roughish, dry sound. Almost like if it were rubbing against a super fine, high grit sandpaper (closest I can get to describing the noise.) Almost like it needs oiled or something. My Curve didn't do this, it just clicked when rolled.

Not a big deal, just curious if anyone else has this?
    07-21-09 08:15 AM
    yeah, my trackball makes the same noise. guessing it's the norm.
    07-21-09 08:32 AM
    yes, and i hate it. i find myself wanting to lick my thumb to make it stop. hopefully it goes away after breaking in.
    07-21-09 08:32 AM
    Welcome to the new crackberry trackball. My bold does the same thing. Its a little annoying, but there are bigger things in life to worry about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 08:43 AM
    Welcome to the new crackberry trackball. My bold does the same thing. Its a little annoying, but there are bigger things in life to worry about.

Yea, that seems to be the consensus... I know the new trackball is reported to be better, but not sure why...
    07-21-09 08:46 AM
    My first trackball on the Tour was great like a Curves. My new Tour makes this sound and feels mushy when I push on it. The ball pushes in farther on this one than my first. I put them side by side and when idle they are the same height above the keypad, but when you push on them the one that makes the grit sound pushes down farther to click than my original.
    07-21-09 08:53 AM
    Manufacturing tolerances, different origins, etc. Mine makes it too, but the again so does pop's curve. Figured it was just the norm with trackball bbs.

07-21-09 09:21 AM
    Appreciate the input, see I'm not alone at all.
    I'm loving this phone so don't see it as a problem by any means.
    It's just that sound. Sometimes it doesn't bother me, sometimes it's a minor irritation, sometimes it grates on my nerves.
    All depends on my mood.
    07-21-09 10:19 AM
    I actually kind of like the sound it makes. I guess I better be more discrete when using it around other people.
    07-21-09 10:37 AM
    When you say "rubbing sound", does it sound like fap-fap-fap?
    07-21-09 11:22 AM
    Mine makes the rubbing sound too.
    My Curve didn't do it until I replaced the trackball with a black G1 trackball.
    I also noticed that my trackball does depress farther than any other Blackberry I have tried/used but it seems harder to push and not mushy at all. Sometimes I'll push it down and apparentally it isn't far enough to make the selection.
    I took this as something to get used to but maybe it's just another in a list of minor defects.
    I took one back all ready. Thinking I'll just wait until I get as close to the 30 day peiod as possible and then return it again in hopes of a better unit.
    Last edited by mkurz12; 07-21-09 at 11:42 AM.
    07-21-09 11:40 AM
    Every berry I've ever used does that...
    07-21-09 11:44 AM
    Every BBe with a track ball does this its nom

07-21-09 11:54 AM
    I didn't even notice the sound until I read this thread... now it's driving me crazy!
    07-21-09 12:13 PM
    yes my pearl did this but to make i stop i used a sleek and shine hair cream and put some on the trackball and it stopped. try doing this. no guarantee it will work for you but it did for me.
    07-21-09 12:14 PM
    I didn't even notice the sound until I read this thread... now it's driving me crazy!
    Sorry 'bout that!

yes my pearl did this but to make i stop i used a sleek and shine hair cream and put some on the trackball and it stopped. try doing this. no guarantee it will work for you but it did for me.
    I thought about using something to lubricate it. Was afraid it would ruin the inside of the phone.

And no doubt MisterB's mind is reeling now from double entendres.
    07-21-09 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD