My current contract for Verizon ended a few weeks ago and I am going to be purchasing my first BlackBerry, most likely the Tour. I was just wondering how the screen is, regarding scratches? I've seen videos of the Storm being scratched with keys, knives, etc and there did not appear to be any visible scratches. Is the Tour's screen this durable?
    08-15-09 04:33 PM
    My current contract for Verizon ended a few weeks ago and I am going to be purchasing my first BlackBerry, most likely the Tour. I was just wondering how the screen is, regarding scratches? I've seen videos of the Storm being scratched with keys, knives, etc and there did not appear to be any visible scratches. Is the Tour's screen this durable?
    I really wouldn't risk it. My first "investment" was a good screen protector.
    08-15-09 04:36 PM
    No, the Tour's screen is not this durable. The Storm is a touchscreen, and so it makes sense that the screen would be much tougher.

I could be mistaken having never owned a Storm, but I'm pretty sure the Storm's screen is glass whereas the Tour's is plastic.

However, just buy a screen protector (such as the Phantomskinz) and there you go, virtually scratchproof.
    08-15-09 04:36 PM
    Owning both... It seems the tour would scratch much ezr...seems like plastic compared to the storms glass....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 05:18 PM
    I've had my Tour for a couple weeks and all I use is a OEM BlackBerry Silicone case with no screen protector. I keep it in my pocket all day and haven't had one scratch yet.

I've never dropped my phone but everyday pocket storage seems to hold the screen up just fine.
    08-15-09 05:33 PM
    Thanks for the responses so far. Does anyone know of a good case or skin that would also protect the screen?
    I actually just received my case today. First of all, I've had my Tour for about a month and don't have a single scratch on it. Of course, I've never dropped it. All I had been using was the holster that came with it. I went on eBay and through a seller (touch.world), I got a six piece accessory kit for 16.99. This included a screen protector, data cable, home charger, holster, car charger, and a hard rubber-coated case which has a built in screen cover. Granted, I already had a a data cable, home charger and holster, but for 16.99, it was a deal even for just a car charger! And the good news is even with the hard case, it still fits in the OEM holster. The hard case not only protects the screen, but it also will keep the bezel from getting scratched. Free shipping too!
    08-15-09 06:23 PM
    The first thing I do with every phone I have ever owned is open the box, put the battery in and put a screen protector on it.
    08-15-09 06:43 PM
    No, the Tour's screen is not this durable. The Storm is a touchscreen, and so it makes sense that the screen would be much tougher.

I could be mistaken having never owned a Storm, but I'm pretty sure the Storm's screen is glass whereas the Tour's is plastic.

However, just buy a screen protector (such as the Phantomskinz) and there you go, virtually scratchproof.
    Ditto, Tour is not a touch screen.
    08-15-09 06:48 PM
    Thanks for the responses so far. Does anyone know of a good case or skin that would also protect the screen?
    Otterbox Defender

08-15-09 06:58 PM
    the tour has the same screen as the bold. and my bold never had a scratch on it.
    08-15-09 07:11 PM
    Same with my Bold! No scratches @ all, I don't see why u wuld ever use a key or a knife on ur BB lol, but it shuld be durable
    08-15-09 07:21 PM
    I drive too well to ever get into a car wreck, so I never wear my seat belt...

Yeah, same mentality. Get a screen protector!

08-15-09 07:35 PM
    I haven't got one scratch on my tour without a protector

08-15-09 07:48 PM
    My Tour still has the plastic cover on the screen, the one your supposed to remove. I just cut off the tab at the bottom. Works well and it came with the phone

08-15-09 07:58 PM
    tour and 8900 have the exact same screen and my 8900 received a tiny tiny scratch, barely noticable, but i bought 3 screen covers on ebay for i think 3 dollars? now i dont need to worry about it, but i do put it in a pocket by itself
    08-15-09 08:16 PM
    Otterbox Defender case rocks and the Innocase 360 from Seidio will be shipping soon.

08-15-09 08:23 PM
    My Tour still has the plastic cover on the screen, the one your supposed to remove. I just cut off the tab at the bottom. Works well and it came with the phone

Ditto....

10 char
    08-15-09 08:27 PM

Very nice analogy
    08-15-09 09:42 PM

+1 awesome
    08-15-09 09:53 PM
    The screen is so weak it's sad. You will scratch it really soon. I advise you to buy a screen protector really soon. Invisible Shield or BSE are really durable.
    08-15-09 11:58 PM
    Do the protectors affect the image quality at all?
    08-16-09 10:52 AM
    I just installed IS on my Tour, and all the "micro bubbles" finally evaporated, but there's so much dust trapped between the protector and the screen, it bugs me. You can't even see it except in front of a all white background, but I'm OCD, lol.

This is my 2nd Tour. The first one I babied, kept it in the holster whenever I didn't use it, and it still got 2 scratches on it! Once again, they were only visible in front of a white background, but once you knew they were there, they were quite hard to ignore.

I would suggest getting a screen protector, but be very careful not to get dust trapped in between, otherwise you'll have another annoying, albeit less damaging problem.
    08-16-09 11:45 AM
    i would definately recommend getting a screen protector. just in case. ive got full body invisible shield protection on mine.
    08-16-09 12:36 PM
    Do the protectors affect the image quality at all?

i think my invisible shield screen protector makes the screen "pop" more in terms of image quality.
    08-16-09 12:37 PM
    My tour has a few tiny scratches on the screen and I've never ever dropped it. So, yes the Tour's screen scratches easily.
    08-16-09 02:30 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD