I just got berrybuzz and im setting all these crazy custom LED notifications

just wondering if u think the LED will/can burn out over time

dumb question, i know.. just wanna hear ur thoughts
    08-20-09 11:09 AM
    Wow, no way!!! I think most LED's are rated to something like 10,000hrs of constant use. Anything will "eventually" burn out however, I'm pretty sure you will upgrade before that happens anyway!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 11:15 AM
    yea i really didnt think so.. i told u it was a dumb question

but i was just semi-concerned because with berrybuzz..

when u get a phone call it flashes pretty frequently..

just wanted to be assured lol
    08-20-09 11:18 AM
    I've never seen one burn out, they can go for several hundred thousand hours...
    08-20-09 11:19 AM
    LEDs can burn out if the voltage isn't proper (I had several LEDs burn out when installing them as fogs - they weren't designed for this voltage). But LEDs should outlast the phone if they were designed to properly withstand the voltage.
    08-20-09 11:21 AM
    thanks all
    08-20-09 11:27 AM
    Personally no matter what the LED is doing, it would never burn out before either something catastrophic happens to the phone, or the phone just starts to fall apart since very few are built to last. And I'm pretty sure that the led would last well beyond the two year mark when you'll be upgrading again.
    08-20-09 11:34 AM
    anything can burn out if its a light, but the LED light takes A LOT of horus for it to burn out. I have yet to see a burned out LED light on a phone. More then likely you will get rid of the phone way before the LED light even starts to go out if ever it does.

i also got berrybuzz and set a lot of my led alerts to disco, and never worry abotu the LED light burning out, thats probbaly the last thing to go on this phone in the long run
    08-20-09 11:50 AM
    They burn out but you'll never see your Tours LED burn out. LED would probably be one of the last things to fail.
    08-20-09 01:24 PM
    Leds last for at least 10000 hrs. Do not worry.

08-20-09 01:36 PM
    if there anything like my outside x-mas LED lights i put up every year, you'll be set! lol
    08-20-09 01:38 PM
    MTBF on LEDs is usually between 50,000 and 1,000,000 hours. How many hours do you suppose the LED is lit for (off doesn't count).

The variance depends on voltage, color, brightness/intensity, and temperature, and all assume that it is used under proper operating conditions (temperature, voltage, solder profile, mechanical, etc..).
    08-20-09 01:53 PM
    dumb question, i know.. just wanna hear ur thoughts
    Well, if that's a dumb question than I'm dumb with you because I thought the same thing while playing around with Berrybuzz. I was sort of afraid to use the bright LED settings for fear that it would prematurely burn out the LED's. But it sounds like they should last longer than I'll probably have this phone, so bright LED alerts, here I come! (Don't ya just love that Disco setting in Berrybuzz?)
    08-20-09 03:02 PM
    The only way I can see it burning out is if it's defective. A proper LED should last way longer than the phone itself. Basically you should be well on to another phone or your Tour should be well good and broken before the LED burns out. It's not impossible, but highly highly highly unlikely and if it did happen chances are better than not it was somehow defective or due to some other factor.

Basically, it'd be the exception, not the norm.
    08-20-09 03:11 PM
    does anyone know why my LED doesn't work anymore? i installed berrybuz, worked fine (had it for 3 days now) and now the led won't work. like when you change the color it will show you, it won't do that. the red light won't even come on when i quick pull it. anyone know why it wouldn't be working?
    08-20-09 05:09 PM
    Go to options > status and type TEST it will allow you to run through a LED test
    08-20-09 05:11 PM
    nevermind, bedside mode was enabled. gotta exit that!
    08-20-09 05:15 PM
    Put it this way, the LED lights that backlight your screen and keyboard stay on much longer in their lifetime than your notification indicator ever will.
    08-20-09 06:46 PM
    Your screen's backlight will probably burn out a lot faster than the LED will.

08-20-09 07:16 PM
    I've seen many LED's burn out. It's luck of the draw. By chance some may not last that long. I am being realistic.
    08-20-09 08:06 PM
    I've seen many LED's burn out. It's luck of the draw. By chance some may not last that long. I am being realistic.
    If you've seen "many" LEDs burn out you must work with a LOT of LEDs on a daily basis... I mean a LOT. Or you're getting LEDs from a bad source that has manufacturing problems.

Sure, there will be some bad ones with shortened life expectancy because of manufacturing defects and what have you, but those will be VERY few and far between.

If you've ever heard of Whelen, I used to work for them. They manufacture LED warning lights for law enforcement uses and for other industries. While working with them, I would get a bad LED from the factory, or have one stop working, MAYBE one in every 50,000, if I was very (un)lucky.

The main reason LEDs "burn out" is due to over voltage or incorrect polarity. Both of which can't be blamed on the LED itself.
    08-20-09 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD