The tour seems to be a "weaker" and less popular product compared to other blackberry phones and it's positioned to the lower-end market. It's just my personal view. Do you think there's any defect/flaw on the 9630 against the Bold/Curve/Torch in terms of performance, practicality, ease to use and quality?
    04-01-11 03:43 AM
    The only real problem with the 9630 is the track ball. Other then that love it when i had it. It's good for learning in's and out's of BB OS's.
    04-01-11 04:47 AM
    No regrets here. Yes, I wish it had wi-fi, but I have found it a reliable, solidly built phone. I'm going to hang onto it until the Bold Touch comes out.
    04-01-11 06:15 AM
    I had a Tour (2 actually) I had problems with trackball and the last one would randomly reset itself!? I got the BB Style on my last upgrade and LOVE it...Will stick with this one...great operating phone..OS6 took some getting use to But Great...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 06:23 AM
    The Bold 9650 has 2x the memory of the Tour 9630. That enables the 9650 to run OS 6 and newer. The 9650 also has wifi and a trackpad instead of the trackball, but the memory to run the newer OS versions is the key. I wouldn't recommend the 9630 because it's a dead end for future development, but it will run OS 5 and current apps just fine. I had one before replacing it with the 9650.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-01-11 08:52 AM
    Love my Tour loads more than my 8330. As far as low-end, not likely; the curve is the low-end product. The Tour was supposed to be the high-end BB for the CDMA side and the Bold for GSM, but after the trackball issues the Tour faced RIM dropped the name. Thus we have a GSM Bold and a CDMA one. Tour is a great product you one can find a decent build.

aaimbrogno likes this.
    04-01-11 11:44 AM
    I mean i dont really understand RIM's strategy sometimes. It hasn't really upgraded its hardware specs in nearly 3 years. models like 9780/9800 are still using the same CPU same the flagship model 9000 from 3 years ago. All they did was change around the hardware configuration on newer models, throw in more ram and take away wifi or give you a better camera with less ram or a slower CPU. If i was to buy a new blackberry right now, i wouldn't know what too choose. Phones like 9700/9780 are not much different than the 9000(personally i would say they are less than the 9000). But on the other hand no one wants to buy a phone that came out 3 years ago if you were to buy a new phone.
    04-01-11 11:47 AM
    My tour is still working fine for how I use it. Original one even. I would not buy one now as stated before unless you don't care about upgrades etc.

I probably wouldn't have upgraded to mine if I knew it was going to EOL 4 months after I bought it but I guess that happens with electronics.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-01-11 11:51 AM
    I think it was a very good device but the trackball issues were crazy. Fortunatelly, verizon has great costumer service and i got a working device.
    04-01-11 11:54 AM
    I just bought a used Tour to carry me over until the newer devices are released. I am really waiting for the Monaco. I have been using a Storm for the last 18 months.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-01-11 11:54 AM
    Loved my Tour for the whole 2 weeks I had it! VZW swapped it out with a brand new Bold 9650. Couldn't turn that down!
    04-01-11 12:06 PM
    The Bold 9650 has 2x the memory of the Tour 9630. That enables the 9650 to run OS 6 and newer. The 9650 also has wifi and a trackpad instead of the trackball, but the memory to run the newer OS versions is the key. I wouldn't recommend the 9630 because it's a dead end for future development, but it will run OS 5 and current apps just fine. I had one before replacing it with the 9650.
    Like Jeff I feel the same except I still have my original going on 2 years old in July- ORGINAL TOUR and have NEVER had a problem with it to date.

I had the original battery in it that was fading during the day so even though I can upgrade now with VZW I just bought a new battery from Amazon for ....$0.9 cents plus $3.99 shipping and it was an OEM replacement with the crypyographic chip in it. Put it in and charged it for 8 hours as recommended and 3 days later I am at 80% and still going great.

My trackball never gives me an issue because I turn off my phone and clean it monthly with an alcohol pad. I keep it in a seidio Innocase Surface II and combo holster.

I am holding off on any Androids period and waiting for the new BBs or ?? undecided.

Anyway that is my 2 cents as I feel about my Tour.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 04-01-11 at 06:47 PM.
    04-01-11 12:09 PM
    LOVE my Tour. Hadn't had any issues with reboots, trackball or anything (knock on wood) like others. Ever since i upgraded the OS, it's been 10x better. I'm waiting for the new Bold before i upgrade.
    04-01-11 02:15 PM
    No regrets here. Yes, I wish it had wi-fi, but I have found it a reliable, solidly built phone. I'm going to hang onto it until the Bold Touch comes out.
    I agree! it is a solid built phone, battery life is really good, wifi really makes no difference to me really. But i too am waiting for the bold touch (if sprint gets it, that is)
    04-01-11 09:08 PM
    I love my Tour - don't regret it for a second. I love it so much that I bought a used one for my husband (he wasn't eligible for an upgrade) because I just knew he'd love this phone so much.

Sure enough, he absolutely loves it. We don't need wifi, we aren't corporate users so we don't need that much memory.

I've seen and held some Curves (even the Curve 3g - I helped my mother-in-law with hers) and they really look and feel cheap compared to the Tour. The Tour look as great at the Bolds out there. I've never had a problem with my trackball - or anything, actually.
    04-01-11 09:42 PM
    Loved my Tour quite well, and it still serves as my reserve phone, original trackball intact and functioning fine. Got the Style, because the opprtunity was right at the time, As well as to stay current with my working knowledge of OS changes.

04-01-11 11:23 PM
    I'm still on the Tour. Other than the lack of memory for os6 I don't mind it at all. I'm always 2-3 years behind on phones cause personally I don't need the newest and greatest. And people that are out at social events comparing phones/showing off apps makes me sick to begin with. It seems you can't have a normal conversation without even facebook coming up in some form which is bad enough. This phone works just fine for me. (other than the bumps in the road I had not to long ago with rebooting) So I'll stick with blackberries until I absolutely need a droid phone for a specific function. "Why replace something that isn't broken" I believe is the saying.
    04-02-11 11:09 AM
    Like a lot others I am very satisfied except I would of liked to have WiFi.
    04-02-11 04:00 PM
    One reason I went for the 9650 on release.

Memory - Yes I use it.

WiFi - Best thing

Getting rid of trackball!!
    04-02-11 04:25 PM
    One reason I went for the 9650 on release.

Memory - Yes I use it.

WiFi - Best thing

Getting rid of trackball!!
    Same applies to my 9670. Even though I had no trackball problems, I much prefer the trackpad.

04-02-11 04:39 PM
    Sounds like we're all in agreement, the Tour rocks!

04-03-11 09:17 AM
    I'm with Verizon and out of contract, and am in no hurry for another contract. I'm currently using a BB Curve 8330. I am considering getting a used Tour, but hesitant due to mixed reviews re call quality and loose battery cover.

Those of you currently using the Tour, are you satisfied with call quality? Any problems with loose battery cover? Thanks.
    04-03-11 10:14 AM
    I haven't had any issues with call quality on my Tour, in fact I didn't know it was an issue for some.

As for the battery cover, mine is a little loose, but it certainly doesn't fall off or anything. I thought at some point they put a piece of tape on the backs of them to help snug them up. Mine has that, but it still wiggles a bit.

The Tour is a solid device overall despite it's bad rap, imo.
    04-03-11 10:41 AM
    I'm with Verizon and out of contract, and am in no hurry for another contract. I'm currently using a BB Curve 8330. I am considering getting a used Tour, but hesitant due to mixed reviews re call quality and loose battery cover.

Those of you currently using the Tour, are you satisfied with call quality? Any problems with loose battery cover? Thanks.
    The call quality on my Tour is great, no complaints at all. As far as the battery door, mine had a little play until I tried this -http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/my...or-fix-273248/-the fix worked great!!
    04-03-11 02:02 PM
    Kaotik 7D wrote: "Why replace something that isn't broken" I believe is the saying.

Actually the phrase is, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Thanks for the feedback on my question re the Tour.

Part of my confusion on the Tour was reading the User Reviews at CNET. Do you ever get the idea that the majority of User Reviewers at CNET are grumpy old men?
    04-04-11 09:38 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD