I'm curious where everyone else stands on this - I am on my second Tour, and both of them have managed to very easily scratch on both the navigation keys (the row of keys to the right and left of the trackball) and the top piece above the screen, around the blackberry logo and extending up to and around the mute and standby keys...

Now, when I say scratches - they are teeny tiny, hairline scratches. If I run my fingernail over them I can't even feel the scratch. However, in the right light/view, you can see them - and its incredibly annoying(to me). Maybe I am anal, but I don't have any explanation as to how these scratches got here. There only a few tiny scratches, which perplexes me because this phone is only EVER in my hand up to my ear (no, I do not wear earrings) or in the holster on my hip. The only exception, is the phone lays in my bed at night while charging...I won't put the phone down on ANY surface other than cloth, as the Sprint battery door cover is VERY easily scratched and marked. I currently have a VZW cover on my Tour, which does not scratch easily as its rubberized, however I still am very, very careful about where I set my phone down. No one other than myself has used or handled the device, and I've never put the phone in my pocket or anywhere other than the holster.

Now, with that out of the way - I am ABSOLUTELY perplexed as to how the top piece already has a couple of hairline scratches on it!! In addition, the send/end call buttons, and bb/back keys are also pretty nicely scratched up. Again, only visible in the right light, but they're there. What really blows me away (yet I'm very grateful for!) Is that the screen is absolutely remarkable...no scratches whatsoever...

I clean the tour daily with a soft terry cloth, the same cloth I clean my macbook pro screen with...seems that the phone is very prone to fingerprints, and I find myself cleaning it daily...I'm cleaning this lil guy more than my ipod touch!!

I'm really just not understanding how I can possibly have scratches on this phone, after daily cleaning, and basically holding and carrying it as if it were a small child...I am very curious to see if you guys are also starting to see any hairline scratches on your tour...especially in the top piece above the screen, and the navigation keys specifically...at the end of the day, it won't make any difference, and its not a huge deal for me-i am just wondering if others are seeing this, as I know a lot of you guys are just as anal as I am with this phone, especially considering its brand new.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 08:33 PM
    this is why i put on phantomskinz the day I got my tour lol
    08-23-09 08:38 PM
    Not sure what to say. I don't notice any scratches on mine. When it isn't sitting on my desk, I keep it in a pocket case, in my pocket. Furthermore, I went to six flags last week and managed not to break it. I think mine is holding up very well.
    08-23-09 08:40 PM
    Lol...glad to hear it didn't fall off while on a roller coaster...which six flags did you visitt? Am planning a trip to new england with the gf soon. Haven't been in years!

Furthermore, I went to six flags last week and managed not to break it.
    08-23-09 08:42 PM
    Am considering going that route..I just hate the look/feel of any kind of casing on my phone...its just a personal thing...

this is why i put on phantomskinz the day I got my tour lol
    08-23-09 08:44 PM
    Lol...glad to hear it didn't fall off while on a roller coaster...which six flags did you visitt? Am planning a trip to new england with the gf soon. Haven't been in years!

Great Adventure in NJ. I wasn't concerned about it falling out of my pocket as much as I was about a lap bar crushing it.
    08-23-09 08:45 PM
    Do you clean (wipe) your Tour a lot? It could be the cloth your using. I use a micro fiber chamois...love it. It's super smooth and cleans like a million dollar house maid.
    08-23-09 08:46 PM
    After really looking under the brightest light I could find them at around a 160 degree angle. The most logical explanation for me would be dust scratches. I usually keep my phone on the inside of my suit jacket pocket so it isn't keys or any thing like that. Idk or really care lol as long as it isn't on my screen (which I agree is at least scratch resistant).

08-23-09 08:47 PM
    Do you clean (wipe) your Tour a lot? It could be the cloth your using. I use a micro fiber chamois...love it. It's super smooth and cleans like a million dollar house maid.
    Microfiber cloths are definitely the way to go. (Use them all the time on my car)
    08-23-09 08:48 PM
    Whoops! I meant microfiber - not terry cloth

Microfiber cloths are definitely the way to go. (Use them all the time on my car)
    08-23-09 08:56 PM
    Mconk, just to let you know, there is a Six Flags in Lake George in upstate NY. I live in Syracuse and Lake George may be closer for you and the girlfriend.

I'm on my second Tour(2 days old) and I managed to really destroy the area around the camera lens from setting it on tables and such.
    Last edited by yurtletheturtle; 08-23-09 at 09:41 PM.
    08-23-09 09:36 PM
    Doesn't seem to be any hairline scratches in the places you mention on my tour. I have a blackberry silicon case (in pocket) that I used for about a week but now have gone back to the leather holster that came with it.

Not sure where these scratches came from...
    08-23-09 09:46 PM
    Thanks for the tip-ive been up there a few times, but that was years ago before six flags bought it out and it was just "the great escape" ... I'm not sure which six flags location has the superman ride, and some of the bigger coasters (I believe its the new england one) but I'm still looking into that...well I say I'm looking into it, I haven't actually sat down and pulled up their webpage yet...lol

Speaking of the camera area, I've noticed some scratches there as well, in addition, (this is unrelated) but I've also noticed that dust has built up inside the cover over the flash...not a big deal, just interesting...can't imagine how dust could have gotten in there...

Mconk, just to let you know, there is a Six Flags in Lake George in upstate NY. I live in Syracuse and Lake George may be closer for you and the girlfriend.

I'm on my second Tour(2 days old) and I managed to really destroy the area around the camera lens from setting it on tables and such.
    08-23-09 10:43 PM
    I've been noticing it and it's annoying
    08-23-09 10:44 PM
    Scratches? Or the dust under the flash? I wish some mad scientist at RIM would develop a scratch resistant material similar to the texture and colors they're producing the latest phones with now...errrr

I've been noticing it and it's annoying
    08-23-09 10:51 PM
    I got a rubber case for $10!!!I also got a leather case for $30 when im not using it...
    08-23-09 11:32 PM
    Dust! It is always the culprit no matter how hard you try. And especially with shiny, black plastic.
    So, after the Tour comes out of the plastic bag, put the Invisibleshield on those parts that will be a problem. Oh, and since the case (if it's like mine) is vinyl, clean it often too. That's as good as yer gonna get.
    08-24-09 12:04 AM
    Seriously? Dust causes these tiny little scratches? Nuts! I looked inside the belt clip holster, and noticed a fair amount of dust in there...cleaned it out quick and thought to myself that the dust in there MAY be the culprit...but I thought that was a stretch...interesting...think I am gonna check into the invisible shield...I just hate putting cases and things on my phone...even though this isint really a case...but still. Thx for the feedback

Dust! It is always the culprit no matter how hard you try. And especially with shiny, black plastic.
    So, after the Tour comes out of the plastic bag, put the Invisibleshield on those parts that will be a problem. Oh, and since the case (if it's like mine) is vinyl, clean it often too. That's as good as yer gonna get.
    08-24-09 12:17 AM
    Err! not if its going from holster to hand, to ear!! And wiped down and oiled up (kidding) everynite! My 8830 was immaculate! The again, it was a much different plastic that was used on that line of devices...the shiny black plastic above the screen that wraps around to the top is verrrry thin...its gorgeous though!

Since you refuse to use a case of any kind you are going to have to accept that your Tour is going to get scratched up. It just happens.
    08-24-09 12:42 AM
    i have the same issue with my tour. the top of the phone with the blackberry logo is all scratched the chrome seems to be holding up fine but the black part just seems to be getting more and more scatches i wouldnt think that dust has caused these unsightly scratches but i guess anything is possible hopefully my new silicone case will help curb this issue
    08-24-09 03:40 PM
    If you take care of your phone you won't worry about scratches. Get a otterbox

08-24-09 04:26 PM
    I'm not sure which six flags location has the superman ride, and some of the bigger coasters (I believe its the new england one) but I'm still looking into that...well I say I'm looking into it, I haven't actually sat down and pulled up their webpage yet
    Monk, it's Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ for sure. They have tons of coasters, Superman (where you get in the car and it pulls you up so your body is looking down into the ground (like you're flying) is there. I think they have about 10 or 12 coasters (about 8 or so Big ones though). Kingda Kha is the biggest around I think. It's like top thrill dragster at Cedar Point where it shoots you out of the gate, takes you straight up and straight down. It's a fair bit higher though. You'll love it if you're ever in NJ. Get there before they shut down all the 6 flags for good. They are currently operating under Chapter 11.
    08-24-09 04:35 PM
    I absolutely understand where you're coming from. This is my first smartphone/blackberry and I'm a total protective gadget nut. All of my iPods got Invisible Shields ASAP after getting them. It drove me nuts waiting for my PhantomSkins to arrive and leaving my Tour all exposed (went with PS instead of IS because of the very positive reviews on here).

It took a while to get used to the feel of having the skin on (especially te edges of the skin), but now that I'm used to it I hardly even notice. I used all of the pieces except for the call/bb/back/end ones (didn't like feeling the edge nearest the trackball) and the one that covers the carbon fiber lookig section on the back.

I tried using the OEM silicone cases as well. I actually like the little bit of extra bulk it gave to the phone and solid feeling, but it was too hard to get out of the holster (even after stretching it out a little) and the edges of the it didn't fit very tight.

I would like to eventually get the ColorWare treatment done for the personalization aspect AND the scratch resistance. In the mean time, the PhantomSkins will work perfectly fine.

Maybe once a year I'll peel everthing off, admire my perfectly flawless Tour, and put a new set of skins on. LOl!
    08-24-09 05:38 PM
    Maybe you should read through my threads before wasting your time making counterproductive comments on all of them. This is a message board for BlackBerry enthusiasts - you never seem very enthused.

If you take care of your phone you won't worry about scratches. Get a otterbox

08-24-09 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD