I just bricked my berry, and have to replace it b/c I followed an update icon that was sent to mhy VZW Tour last night. When it finished it said I had to re-install the OS, and I can't even do that now!
    12-01-09 10:13 AM
    I have never had an issue with an OTA update. Your first mistake was to click on an icon instead of going through Options/Advanced Options/Wireless Upgrade. Any app can push an icon to your BB so going through some random icon that showed up on your device is not a best practice to follow.
    12-01-09 10:30 AM
    Lots of folks upgraded their OS using the OTA method and it worked fine (including me). i don't have a PC but even if i did i will be using the OTA update.

Users brick their devices using Desktop Manager and OTA pretty evenly.
    12-01-09 10:35 AM
    Users reload their OS no problem.....just do a tiny bit of work and you don't have to get your phone replaced.
    12-01-09 10:40 AM
    I just bricked my berry, and have to replace it b/c I followed an update icon that was sent to mhy VZW Tour last night. When it finished it said I had to re-install the OS, and I can't even do that now!
    Read this thread and follow the steps.

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry
    12-01-09 10:45 AM
    its VERY easy to unbrick a Blackberry
    12-01-09 10:57 AM
    I also did the update when I woke up this morning. My Tour is stuck in an infinite loop of a progress bar saying "Rolling back java" and starting at 91% each time. it goes to 100% and then restarts the whole process over.

Anyway to get out of this without clean slating my BB?
    12-01-09 11:45 AM
    I also did the update when I woke up this morning. My Tour is stuck in an infinite loop of a progress bar saying "Rolling back java" and starting at 91% each time. it goes to 100% and then restarts the whole process over.

Anyway to get out of this without clean slating my BB?

Hopefully you backed up your data before doing all that. In that case, just wipe clean and start over.
    12-01-09 11:47 AM
    My backup is like 5 weeks old. Darnit.
    12-01-09 11:57 AM
    I updated through OTA and it was fast and painless. I wouldn't do it any other way.
    12-01-09 12:45 PM
    First off get a computer so you can do a backup. Who doesn't even have a computer. Second the OTA update worked fine for me. It did do somekind of backup automaticall for me and then reinstalled everything. DM wasn't going to replace everything for me automaticall and that is why I did the OTA update.
    12-01-09 03:24 PM
    I was prompted to do it so I did and I lost power during the update so when i turned my blackberry back on i saw my home screen was reset to the default, but the update came right back on to the same percentages. Does anyone know if im going to lose all my contacts, it was in the middle of backing everything up.
    12-01-09 03:36 PM
    The issue for me is that each time I try to reinstall the OS I get crazy messages like fatal errors, etc using desktop manager. I get the same sort of thing using the apploader. As soon as I get to where I need to move past step 3 I get

A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

Device communications error encountered. [A:0x00000025]
    Last edited by redneck6497; 12-01-09 at 04:07 PM.
    12-01-09 03:50 PM
    it the update supposed to take 2 hours or could it be longer, because its only at 25% but its been going for over an hour and a half
    12-01-09 04:26 PM
    it the update supposed to take 2 hours or could it be longer, because its only at 25% but its been going for over an hour and a half
    It takes a good bit longer upgrading OS via OTA rather then with DM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 05:04 PM
    The issue for me is that each time I try to reinstall the OS I get crazy messages like fatal errors, etc using desktop manager. I get the same sort of thing using the apploader. As soon as I get to where I need to move past step 3 I get

A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

Device communications error encountered. [A:0x00000025]

Are you using a physical PC, or a VMware/Parallels/etc virtual machine?

And have you wiped the BB completely using JL Cmdr, BBSAK, etc? (this should have left you with a white screen/507 error after boot up)
    12-01-09 05:06 PM
    Whoever does an OS update without backing up their device must not be very worried about their data.

Best way to do an OS update is to

1) Backup device via DM

2) Backup 3rd party apps via this method

3) Download the latest OS for your device (the OS you want to install) and install it on your PC (This is the time to do any OS trimming or shrinking)

4) Download JLcmder and do a complete wipe of your BB

5) Use apploader to load the new OS to your device

6) Reload 3rd party apps

And that is all you need to do. BTW this is all explained in much more detail here
    12-01-09 06:00 PM
    My ota took less than half hour to do..I dont think desktop manager would be that quick....sure wasnt for my curve. Just the minor pain of signing up for 3rd party apps..Ota is way to go
    12-01-09 06:53 PM
    I did the OTA upgrade immediately upon receiving the phone. It took about 45 minutes total (download and installation) and worked flawlessly. The advice about backing up prior to upgrading makes good sense if you already have a lot of data loaded on your phone, though.
    12-02-09 03:42 AM
    I also never had a issue with ota upgrades. Also load your OS with app loader.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 04:20 AM
    lol...i can't believe a newbe just told a mod to get a computer. classic.

First off get a computer so you can do a backup. Who doesn't even have a computer. Second the OTA update worked fine for me. It did do somekind of backup automaticall for me and then reinstalled everything. DM wasn't going to replace everything for me automaticall and that is why I did the OTA update.
    12-02-09 04:40 AM
    Always, always, ALWAYS back up before doing any sort of update. Unbricking a Blackberry may freak you out at first, but once you get used to it, it becomes natural.
    12-02-09 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD