Hi all!
    So...I went to a Verizon store last night to get yet another replacement Tour. This would be my 6th one since September. I've had multiple issues....most annoyingly tons of ridiculous issues with attempting to set ring tones. I was offered a refurbed Tour (shipped to me of course), a brand new Tour from the store, or a brand new S2. I've never had a touch screen phone so I was leary...but after playing around with it for about 25 minutes, I definitely became more comfortable with it and was definitely impressed with the 5.0 OS. In the long run, my nerves took over and I opted for a new Tour. Well...today I am having some regret with not going with the Storm, as I am having the same exact issues and more, straight out of the box. I can NOT believe RIM can not get it together and fix something as simple as a sound profile issue. I know I'm in a Tour forum....but I wanted your trusted opinions. If you Tour owners had the choice that I did last night, what would you have gone
    with? Should I go back today and attempt a device switch? I spoke to customer service over the phone and they Ok'd it.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks guys.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 12:44 PM
    The Tour and storm 2 are VERY similar. Ones a touch screen, the other is not. The only added features hardware wise the storm has is WIFI and 2gb onboard memory. other then that, there both the same.

Its either you like touch screens or not. I myself hated touch screen ever since I had the storm which made me switch to the Tour and I've been loving it a lot more!
    12-22-09 12:47 PM
    Thank you for the quick response. I would definitely have to get used to the touch....however, I was definitely sold on the fact that I could edit my sound profiles.

12-22-09 12:49 PM
    My only thought is if you were buying a car for instance, say a ford, and youve had bad luck with every ford you purchased why purchase another. I guess what im saying is yes, i would have given up with the tour. And gotten the s2, especially if they were going to do a fair trade, no money involved.
    12-22-09 12:49 PM
    My only thought is if you were buying a car for instance, say a ford, and youve had bad luck with every ford you purchased why purchase another. I guess what im saying is yes, i would have given up with the tour. And gotten the s2, especially if they were going to do a fair trade, no money involved.
    Yes that is exactly my thought today as well. It was an even trade for something that clearly works better. Not sure what I was thinking!

12-22-09 12:51 PM
    Yes that is exactly my thought today as well. It was an even trade for something that clearly works better. Not sure what I was thinking!

well, if your thinking twice about the trade, go a head and try out the storm, see if you even like the touch screen before you start regretting anything.

both Tour and Storm 2 are good phones either way you go
    12-22-09 12:52 PM
    I personally believe that folks who go through 6 of the same phone are insane. Downright, honest to god, nutball lunatics. But that's just my opinion.

You might want to consider another phone.
    12-22-09 12:54 PM
    It just seems like the storm (perhaps it's the 5.0) addresses some of the bugs I've been experiencing with all of my Tours...namely the sound profile issues. That was the first feature I looked for when using the store's storm.
    These bugs and issues are extremely frustrating as I'm sure most of you know.

12-22-09 12:56 PM
    I personally believe that folks who go through 6 of the same phone are insane. Downright, honest to god, nutball lunatics. But that's just my opinion.

Hmmm...well thank you for your honesty?
    Trust me if I could get out of Verizon all together and go to an iPhone, I would. But I can't. And I am not a fan of any of Verizon's other phones aside from BlackBerry....so you see where I'm stuck.
    I am trying to make the best of a not so good situation. If I am going to be stuck with a phone f
    or the next year, I at least want it to function properly.

12-22-09 01:01 PM
    There was an article on cb's homepage yesterday or today that was talking about how the ability to change sound profiles changed from 4.5 to 4.7 and then changed back in the OS 5.0. Could you just have assumed that you could change your sound profiles individually? B/C with 4.7 - stock with VZW, you can't change individual profiles (I can't remember the difference exactly - read the article). They brought that back in 5.0 - which is stock on the Storm 2. Could this possibly be the problem you think you are experiencing? Problems with changing sound profile issues sounds like a software deal - and just exchanging phones won't help that. Thats how I'm reading the situation.
    12-22-09 01:07 PM
    There was an article on cb's homepage yesterday or today that was talking about how the ability to change sound profiles changed from 4.5 to 4.7 and then changed back in the OS 5.0. Could you just have assumed that you could change your sound profiles individually? B/C with 4.7 - stock with VZW, you can't change individual profiles (I can't remember the difference exactly - read the article). They brought that back in 5.0 - which is stock on the Storm 2. Could this possibly be the problem you think you are experiencing? Problems with changing sound profile issues sounds like a software deal - and just exchanging phones won't help that. Thats how I'm reading the situation.
    Yes that is the main issue.
    However, now I am experiencing not being able to change the profiles at all. It's hard to explain....but basically after the first time I set what I want my vibrate profile to do for example, I have never been able to change those settings. When I put my phone on vibrate and then go to edit it, it opens up a completely different profile...what looks to be my "normal" profile. Not sure if that makes sense.

12-22-09 01:11 PM
    That's by design. What you do is set the volume and ring tones on the Normal profile, then the medium and loud profiles work off of that. I have the volume set to 1 on normal, then the medium will ring at 5 and loud will ring at 10. Strange that vzw would even switch your device that many times for something that's not a defect.
    12-22-09 01:28 PM
    quite honestly it sounds like the OP simply has no idea of how the phone works. 6 phones in a row will not have the same exact glitch.
    12-22-09 01:34 PM
    quite honestly it sounds like the OP simply has no idea of how the phone works. 6 phones in a row will not have the same exact glitch.
    Actually I've been using a BlackBerry for over 5 years with no issues even remotely similar to this. Your attitude and comments are completely rude and uncalled for. But thanks for your help, Furballz. Really.

12-22-09 01:42 PM

So I guess the three tour's I had all with trackballs that died, and the one the headset died I should live with.

I went with the Storm2 best move I've made.
    12-22-09 01:47 PM
    .but basically after the first time I set what I want my vibrate profile to do for example, I have never been able to change those settings. When I put my phone on vibrate and then go to edit it, it opens up a completely different profile...what looks to be my "normal" profile. Not sure if that makes sense.

I'm not sure I understand your profile problem, but I am running the 7.14/.230 hybrid and I think I can edit the profile. When my phone is in vibrate mode, if I click on the sound icon, I can then scroll to the bott of the list and click 'edit profile'. Vibrate is one of the profiles that you can then open to edit--you can choose phone, email, level 1 message, etc. Maybe if you try the original .230 leak or one of the hybrids, you'll be able to do what you want.

It may just be the os that you really like on the Storm2--unless you love a touchscreen, then go for it.

Good Luck!
    12-22-09 01:48 PM
    So I guess the three tour's I had all with trackballs that died, and the one the headset died I should live with.

I went with the Storm2 best move I've made.
    Thank you. It is advice like yours that keeps me here, not idiotic and unfounded comments from users such as Furballz.

12-22-09 01:49 PM
    I'm not sure I understand your profile problem, but I am running the 7.14/.230 hybrid and I think I can edit the profile. When my phone is in vibrate mode, if I click on the sound icon, I can then scroll to the bott of the list and click 'edit profile'. Vibrate is one of the profiles that you can then open to edit--you can choose phone, email, level 1 message, etc. Maybe if you try the original .230 leak or one of the hybrids, you'll be able to do what you want.

It may just be the os that you really like on the Storm2--unless you love a touchscreen, then go for it.

Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Thank you. I've been leary to load a hybrid or leaked OS onto my phone for rear that I might mess it up. The edit option that you mentioned has been present on every BlackBerry I've had EXCEPT for the Tour. Not only that but I am completely unable to change the settings of a profile after I've initially established the settings. It's like it allows me to do it once....then I am unable to again.

12-22-09 01:56 PM
    Thank you. It is advice like yours that keeps me here, not idiotic and unfounded comments from users such as Furballz.

i have had 3 fighting with sprint for the 4th... all because of call quality. if i am in Los Angeles or another big city i am great but here in my home town it sucks... most people will not even talk to me on the phone because they cant understand me .. so it is basically used for text. i am sick of it, they are being ***'s about it... but i guess i am just crazy also
    12-22-09 02:00 PM
    call me crazy, but i happen to think the storm 1 clicks better...have you ever owned a storm 1?

in my own humble opinion, i'm too much of a texter and bbm accounts for 80% of my usage, and i mean HEAVY usage. therefore, being on verizion, the only phone for me is the tour. the storms are very attractive devices, but when it came to typing, i type like this

"whatuppppp"

and since the reduced keyboard is the only REAL way to type on the storm, i couldn't handle it. it became too hard for me to type and i got PRO at using the storm, but i just text way too much and it became a nuisance over time.
    slang words must be added to the dictionary, and don't even think about using a storm when drunk.
    12-22-09 02:09 PM
    um yea, the odds of getting 5-6 bad BBs in a row is, as was discussed in another thread, about a trillion to one.

You guys should be playing the lottery.

If you have such terrible luck with these phones, you might think about moving to a new phone, eh?
    12-22-09 02:10 PM
    Thats the whole point of the thread here Capt. Obvious.
    12-22-09 02:13 PM
    call me crazy, but i happen to think the storm 1 clicks better...have you ever owned a storm 1?

in my own humble opinion, i'm too much of a texter and bbm accounts for 80% of my usage, and i mean HEAVY usage. therefore, being on verizion, the only phone for me is the tour. the storms are very attractive devices, but when it came to typing, i type like this

"whatuppppp"

and since the reduced keyboard is the only REAL way to type on the storm, i couldn't handle it. it became too hard for me to type and i got PRO at using the storm, but i just text way too much and it became a nuisance over time.
    slang words must be added to the dictionary, and don't even think about using a storm when drunk.
    Haha that might just be the realest advice I've received. Perfect! Thank you. Drunk Storming seems nearly impossible to me

12-22-09 02:23 PM
    Thats the whole point of the thread here Capt. Obvious.
    Actually, the OP really didn't have much of a question in the original post that wasn't obvious.

"Should I get a different type of phone?" Um, yeah. What sort of nutball takes something back 5-6 times and gets the EXACT SAME THING over and over again? That's insane.
    12-22-09 02:34 PM
    Who would keep posting the EXACT SAME THING over and ever again? That's insane.
    12-22-09 02:36 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD