Just received the Tour today, after 4 storms!! I am trying to delete in the message application. I would like to delete multiple messages at one time. I figured out how to do that but the "deleting" message pops up on screen and freezes. I have to take out the battery in order to get the phone working properly. I am only deleting one email and two calls, not a huge amount. Can someon please help me... What am I doing wrong?
    08-28-09 12:52 AM
    You aren't doing anything wrong, I don't think. You are holding the ALT key and highlighting the messages that you want to delete, them pressing the BB Key and deleting (or pressing the del key) right?
    If that's not working do a battery pull and see if it works after that.
    If not it might be an OS issue an you might just have to reload it.
    08-28-09 12:56 AM
    You aren't doing anything wrong, I don't think. You are holding the ALT key and highlighting the messages that you want to delete, them pressing the BB Key and deleting (or pressing the del key) right?
    If that's not working do a battery pull and see if it works after that.
    If not it might be an OS issue an you might just have to reload it.
    Whsat do you mean "an OS issue?" I have done a battery pull several times and it does remove the "deleting" message but it stil happens when I try deleting them again.
    08-28-09 01:02 AM
    how about when you delete a single message. does that give you any issues?
    08-28-09 01:05 AM
    I ran into the same problem when I first got my device. What I did was deleted the long and arduous way.....1 at a time : ) but you have only 3 items. I had 20+

After I cleared them out I never had the issue again. I'm able to delete prior and multiple entries without a problem. Try 1 at a time........
    08-28-09 01:08 AM
    Glad I am not losing my mind. My Tour was running perfectly for the first 3 weeks and then it started freezing as you described whenever I delete several items at a time (don't know the exact number that sets it off).

In addition, I am getting "phantom" icons showing that I have email and/or missed phone calls when there are no unopened items. Also, the phone log does not keep track of previous calls like the 8830 did. They appear for a few hours and disappear.

I have already replaced my original Tour, and true to form, the new one is doing this as well. The only fix (so far) is a soft reset by removing the battery.

It is infuriating. Verizon claims they know nothing of these problems ... (sound familiar??) but on my most recent visit, the tech person said some sort of patch and/or update would be released soon.
    08-28-09 05:37 AM
    You are holding the ALT key and highlighting the messages that you want to delete, them pressing the BB Key and deleting (or pressing the del key) right?
    I read the manual, which instructs one to depress the ALT key while scrolling down the list of messages you wish to delete. Depressing the ALT key didn't perform any function at all. By accident, I discovered that depressing the SHIFT key while scrolling allowed me to highlight the desired messages. After the messages are highlighted, I hit the DEL key; and Poof, they're gone. No lag or hang-up.
    08-28-09 05:48 PM
    Have we forgotten about Delete Prior? I can't wait till people stop complaining about their devices not being perfect. Not all technical support knows every single bug that these phones have. You have a first gen device. The Tour will have a maintenance release that will probably fix this issue. But in the mean time, try delete prior, or wipe your phone, and keep a weekly backup until the Maintenance release comes out.
    08-28-09 06:07 PM
    There's also another way to do it. Open your messages...scroll all the way to to top highlighting the date and clicking on it. Scroll down to "Full Menu", click on it it, then click on "Delete Prior" Poof all messages are gone. It's nice because you don't have to highlight stuff or use more than just your thumb. Works for email too if you get a lot.
    08-28-09 06:14 PM
    Have we forgotten about Delete Prior? I can't wait till people stop complaining about their devices not being perfect. Not all technical support knows every single bug that these phones have. You have a first gen device. The Tour will have a maintenance release that will probably fix this issue. But in the mean time, try delete prior, or wipe your phone, and keep a weekly backup until the Maintenance release comes out.
    Yeah, that is fine for wanting to delete 'everything prior'. But, if you've got a mass of messages and you want to delete a thread that's in the middle, highlighting just the few and deleting is a nice option. Further, I was merely pointing-out the fact that the manual is inaccurate and trying to offer a suggestion [based on experience] for successfully fulfilling his wishes.
    08-28-09 06:27 PM
    Take it easy, there, newb. Deleting multiple messages is a basic function that every berry has had since I can remember. If it's not working on a few Tours, it's an issue. If it's not working on a wide spread basis, it's a manufacturer defect. Telling someone to wipe their phone for an issue like this is not good advice.
    08-28-09 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD