Hello all,

My husband is currently stationed in Afghanistan and under the advice of a Verizon representative, we bought Blackberries so we could use BB Messenger unlimited while he was overseas. My phone has worked with no problems, but now that my husband has his over there, his BB messenger isn't working and when he tries to log in to MSN Messenger or Yahoo, it gives him the error "Data Services Unavailable" Is this something as simple as he's not in an area to get data coverage? He had purchased an Afghani phone and it had no problems. Also, his phone does ring when I try to call it. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    11-05-09 01:17 PM
    Did you provision his GSM card with customer service before he left? Did he change his mobile network settings from 1XEV to GSM and then search for a GSM partner network when he arrived in afghanistan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 02:19 PM
    Well, when I purchased his Tour I made sure to let the customer service rep that it was going to be used in Afghanistan, and made sure he signed my husband's line up for the unlimited global data plan. They did something with the SIM card at that point, but I'm not sure what they did to it to be honest. Like I said, his phone rang when I tried calling him (he didn't answer it so we wouldn't get charged). His phone is showing GSM in the upper right corner by the signal bars.
    11-06-09 12:15 AM
    If it's showing GSM, then he's connected to voice only network. Tell him to go to option -> mobile network -> network selection to manual and scan for available network. Try to connect to other carriers on the list, other than one he previously selected. He have to connect to either EDGE or GPRS in upper case to get data service. If he keep having a problem, ask him to call International customer care. Sometimes it can be provisioning issue from carrier.
    11-06-09 03:47 AM
    He did try scanning for different networks today and tried all 3 that came up. 1 wouldn't connect and the other 2 came up GSM so I think we may just be S.O.L.
    11-06-09 11:42 PM
    I know earlier in the week there was outage in that part of the world. Not sure if it was resolved or not. I and going to assume that your hubby is over there for Gov't business. Talk to other folks that may spouces over there and have VZW. If theirs is working, this might indicate an account issue. To determine the issue, you can call to VZW Global team. For US calls you would call 800-711-8300, if the reps need to talk to your husband, he would call 908-559-4899 (toll free) from huis location. Also if possible, have call not from his device.

Good luck
    11-07-09 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD