I have had my new Tour now a week and there are a few things that are puzzling me, many to do with custom ringtones and alerts.

ISSUE #1: CUSTOM RINGTONES NOT THAT CUSTOM
    I have custom ringtones set up for 4 people as Contact Alerts. When friend A calls, the phone plays their ringtone. When friend B calls a little while later, the phone still plays friend A's ringtone. Everyone is set up properly in Contact Alerts from what I can tell, but the phone still just plays whoever called last rather than each person's ringtone.

ISSUE #2: WHEN SILENT MEANS NOT SILENT
    At work I have my phone set to silent. However, my custom settings seem to override it, as my phone will still ring. So, I set up a "work" setting to silence everything. Still doesn't work, custom ringtones from my Contact Alerts still come through. It seems the only thing that works is to set each contact alert to silent, which is a huge pain!

So my question is, are these just bugs I need to get used to, or is there a better, more foolproof way? A friend who owns a Storm says that it was happening to her too. I have a Tour, so maybe it's just a Blackberry thing?

Thanks for your help!
    09-05-09 02:25 PM
    Just bugs! Don't bother getting used to it, because they will be addressed in the very near future - either with the MR or OS upgrade. Hang in there. Mine is the same.
    09-05-09 02:59 PM
    I have the same problem..
    09-05-09 03:01 PM
    I'm starting to get very fustrated with this F'ing phone. My curve was more solid that this....I hope the official OS 5.0 fixes a lot of the Tour problems.
    09-05-09 03:11 PM
    I have had my new Tour now a week and there are a few things that are puzzling me, many to do with custom ringtones and alerts.

ISSUE #1: CUSTOM RINGTONES NOT THAT CUSTOM
    I have custom ringtones set up for 4 people as Contact Alerts. When friend A calls, the phone plays their ringtone. When friend B calls a little while later, the phone still plays friend A's ringtone. Everyone is set up properly in Contact Alerts from what I can tell, but the phone still just plays whoever called last rather than each person's ringtone.

ISSUE #2: WHEN SILENT MEANS NOT SILENT
    At work I have my phone set to silent. However, my custom settings seem to override it, as my phone will still ring. So, I set up a "work" setting to silence everything. Still doesn't work, custom ringtones from my Contact Alerts still come through. It seems the only thing that works is to set each contact alert to silent, which is a huge pain!

So my question is, are these just bugs I need to get used to, or is there a better, more foolproof way? A friend who owns a Storm says that it was happening to her too. I have a Tour, so maybe it's just a Blackberry thing?

Thanks for your help!
    Yea, I've experienced the same thing(actually with text message alert settings)... I'm guessing it's just a bug or something that will be fixed with an OS upgrade.
    09-05-09 03:23 PM
    I'm having the same problems!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 03:44 PM
    Because of these issues and others I wouldn't expect to see businesses doing any mass migrations to the 9630 Tour in the near future.
    The Tour is ok if you are fortunate enough to get the right build with a working trackball & if you are an enthusiast that doesn't mind a semi-functional device.
    I'd assume the same group that fumbled the Storm roll out managed this one as well.
    Whether the new OS will effectively address these issues remains to be seen.. hopefully before the current group of Beta owners move on in disgust to another model or platform.
    That said, it does have a lot of potential.
    09-06-09 05:57 PM
    Because of these issues and others I wouldn't expect to see businesses doing any mass migrations to the 9630 Tour in the near future.
    The Tour is ok if you are fortunate enough to get the right build with a working trackball & if you are an enthusiast that doesn't mind a semi-functional device.
    I'd assume the same group that fumbled the Storm roll out managed this one as well.
    Whether the new OS will effectively address these issues remains to be seen.. hopefully before the current group of Beta owners move on in disgust to another model or platform.
    That said, it does have a lot of potential.
    We're all early adopters here. Discovering and enduring some early design flaws, be they hardware or software, kinda goes with the territory, don't you think?
    09-06-09 06:05 PM
    We're all early adopters here. Discovering and enduring some early design flaws, be they hardware or software, kinda goes with the territory, don't you think?
    Mostly, but the lack of OS updates has me wondering if the Tour OS is a priority for RIM or if they've moved on to bigger and better things.
    /Just stirring the pot.
    09-06-09 06:19 PM
    I have the exact same problem I am glad that I am not the only one that has it. I even replaced the tour with the "green dot" but same problem. I actually had to turn off my contact alerts so I am sad about. I was wondering if anyone has wiped and reloaded the OS to see if that would fix it?
    09-20-09 05:02 PM
    I'm really getting sick of running up against the wall with the lack of basic functionality.
    Between the Trackball, GPS, BlueTooth and Ringtones just to name a few the Tour has proven to be an unreliable joke.
    This product does not perform as advertised!
    RIM is in deep trouble, do they even realize it?
    If something doesn't give rather quickly Sprint can expect this one coming back.
    I may have to move on to Android or an IPhone.. or at least up-grade to a Curve
    09-20-09 05:40 PM
    If you put it on ALL Alerts off, the that should override the custom ones as well. It has worked for me. I use it when i go to the movies. Hopes this help!
    09-27-09 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD