Just curious but is anyone going to pass on the tour 9630 because it does not have wi-fi? I can't decide... i have never had wi-fi so i don't know what i am missing but as the 9630 should be coming out two weeks before i go to London i am undecided about getting it. Any input out there?
    05-23-09 01:52 PM
    Because the 9630 is a world phone, you can switch out your SIM card and still use your phone when your in London. Honestly, WiFi is nice to have, but its by no means a deal breaker. It's a battery killer, and free wifi is more difficult to find than everyone gives the impression of.

As you know, Blackberries are awesome devices and well worth getting. I for one will be waiting on line the morning of release.
    05-23-09 02:07 PM
    No. I have a HTC6900, and that does not have WiFi. But Im also not due for an upgrade till January, so se la vie.
    05-23-09 03:00 PM
    wi-fi is not a deal breaker we haven't had it before its not like we can't live without it now. Its just a really nice feature to have access to.

Don't base your purchase only on wi-fi especially if you don't really know the benefits of wi-fi..
    05-23-09 03:58 PM
    well i have and htc touch pro right now and it has wifi and i really dont even use it, so to me its no big deal..ill be getting the 930 when it comes out
    05-23-09 04:33 PM
    well i have and htc touch pro right now and it has wifi and i really dont even use it, so to me its no big deal..ill be getting the 930 when it comes out

It definetly depends on what you do.... some people will use it some people wont
    05-23-09 08:41 PM
    WiFi is not a deal breaker for me. I would love to have a WiFi CDMA option (especially for voice and data at the same time), but even if the only option is a non-WiFi CDMA Berry, it will be a very welcome upgrade from my 8830WE.
    05-24-09 09:15 AM
    I've been really interested in the Tour since Kevin first started putting pics up.. this device drove me to move from being just a crackberry lurker to actually joining :P However... I'm finding myself hedging on the Tour because of the tidbits of info about the Atlas. Prior to any Atlas talk I was sold and just waiting for release as I have my upgrade just waiting to be used.. now I'm definetly not sold.

If the Tour is the 'world edition' (meaning gsm capable) and the Atlas is the same phone but wifi instead of 'world edition'.. I will be buying the Atlas.

I don't have a massive need for wifi and could live without it.. but I have ZERO need for the gsm capabilities of a 'we' phone. At least with wifi I could make use of it some time in the foreseeable future.

I hope more Atlas info drops soon. If my perceptions of Atlas prove wrong.. the Tour will be my next phone.
    05-24-09 11:51 AM
    I've been really interested in the Tour since Kevin first started putting pics up.. this device drove me to move from being just a crackberry lurker to actually joining :P However... I'm finding myself hedging on the Tour because of the tidbits of info about the Atlas. Prior to any Atlas talk I was sold and just waiting for release as I have my upgrade just waiting to be used.. now I'm definetly not sold.

If the Tour is the 'world edition' (meaning gsm capable) and the Atlas is the same phone but wifi instead of 'world edition'.. I will be buying the Atlas.

I don't have a massive need for wifi and could live without it.. but I have ZERO need for the gsm capabilities of a 'we' phone. At least with wifi I could make use of it some time in the foreseeable future.

I hope more Atlas info drops soon. If my perceptions of Atlas prove wrong.. the Tour will be my next phone.
    this is my exact position at the moment, too.
    05-24-09 01:01 PM
    I had WIFI on my iPhone, 8320 and my HTC Touch Diamond...My iPhone was an original edge iPhone and my 8320 was on T-Mobile and ran on edge so I did use the WIFI when I was at home since it was faster than edge..but even that was rare since..well..I was at home where I have a computer to use... However my Touch Diamond was the Sprint version which ran on EVDO and I never once used it...Now that I have VZW I really can't see myself ever needing WIFI.
    05-24-09 02:37 PM
    this is my exact position at the moment, too.
    I wouldn't use either the GSM feature or WIFI so I'd just go with whichever one is cheaper lol
    05-24-09 02:38 PM
    I had WIFI on my iPhone, 8320 and my HTC Touch Diamond...My iPhone was an original edge iPhone and my 8320 was on T-Mobile and ran on edge so I did use the WIFI when I was at home since it was faster than edge..but even that was rare since..well..I was at home where I have a computer to use... However my Touch Diamond was the Sprint version which ran on EVDO and I never once used it...Now that I have VZW I really can't see myself ever needing WIFI.

this may be true for you. However I do want to say that there has been applications that require wi-fi. So never say never
    05-24-09 03:02 PM
    this may be true for you. However I do want to say that there has been applications that require wi-fi. So never say never
    I'm sure there are apps that require it...but again that doesn't really do much for me...I'm one of those people that keep a very minimal amount of apps on my phone. Don't get me wrong I have 6 or 8 on my phone now and I've had as many as 20....but generally unless I use an app daily I delete it. The only app I ever have used that did require wifi was for my iPhone...I don't remember what it was called but it let me stream my iTunes library at home to my iPhone remotely through wifi...it was pretty much an amazing app.
    05-24-09 03:13 PM
    if we have internet access all the time for us verizon users via bb data plan, whats the need for wifi? i try and think why people are upset with the tour cuz of its lack of wifi...but i just dont get it.
    05-24-09 04:11 PM
    what about skype, wouldn't WI-FI be better/more stable for it than EVDO?
    05-24-09 04:34 PM
    I am getting the Tour the day that it arrives.
    05-24-09 05:22 PM
    what about skype, wouldn't WI-FI be better/more stable for it than EVDO?

I think it would definetly be more stable. Skype could work on evdo but I have a feeling you would get a lot of that "digital tingy type sounds" that usually happen if your internet connection is slower..
    05-24-09 07:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD