There is also a short cut to a summary screen of your phone's status. Type #4357* SEND.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 06:27 PM
    Actually, -102 is not really good compared to -92. To say, "The higher the number, the better the signal strength" is accurate, but that can be misleading. Because the strength is essentially being measured in negative integers, -102 is not higher than -92. It might be better put as, "-102 is a much lower signal level than -92."
    are you sure about that?

Becuase when I was on the internet and had it at -100/-95 the browser was super fast..
    Then my signal changed to -10 and the browser slowed way down...
    10-13-09 06:31 PM
    are you sure about that?

Becuase when I was on the internet and had it at -100/-95 the browser was super fast..
    yes basic math... negative numbers... the further away negative numbers get away from zero the smaller they are.
    10-13-09 06:39 PM
    are you sure about that?

Yes.

If you search these forums, I am sure you will find this specific issue has been covered. There is a "Post Your Signal Strength" thread for the Tour that probably covers this.

Remember, you are dealing with negative (-) numbers. And as Wortez points out, the further you get from zero the lower (smaller) the number is.

The rule is "the closer to 0 the better". For example, -80 is closer to 0 than -100, so -80 is better.

The rule is the higher the better. For example, -80 is higher than -100, so -80 is better. Admittedly, it can be very confusing.

I hope I don't come across as patronizing, but if it is still confusing, think about how we measure temperature: -30 F is colder than -12 F. Although +30 is higher than +12, as a negative integer (-30) it is actually lower.

Lastly, I have seen my browser show a signal strength of -10 when I start to browse as well. I never have a signal strength of -10 from my carrier. I am not sure why it shows that or what that value may be relating to in that instance. Sounds like another thread topic.
    10-13-09 07:02 PM
    also if you type in the google box THINGS I NEVER KNEW MY CELLPHONE COULD DO you will get some good stuff to
    10-13-09 07:32 PM
    Ya I know how negative numbers work

But why was my browser much faster at -100 compaired to -10 then?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 08:51 PM
    Ya I know how negative numbers work
    But why was my browser much faster at -100 compaired to -10 then?
    A signal of -100 or lower is going to appear as -10 in your browser window because the larger font size will not allow for more than 2 numbers. If your signal strength on the home screen was -110, then it would show as -11 once you opened your browser.

Check it when your signal strength is -99 or higher versus when it is -100 or lower. If it is higher -99 or higher then you should see the same two digits that correspond to your signal strength on your home screen (i.e. -98, -95). If it is -100 or lower you will see -10 or -11 etc.

This is the case on my phone at least. I would be interested in finding out if this could be verified across other themes and other Tours.

The reason your browser was faster at -100 compared to -10 is your signal strength may have been -101 or worse, but it only displayed the first two digits (-10) as your signal. That is my guess at least. There could other factors that caused your speed to diminish.

Thanks for your kind reply after my explanation of how negative numbers work.
    Last edited by amcgeary; 10-13-09 at 11:27 PM.
    10-13-09 11:13 PM
    A signal of -100 or lower is going to appear as -10 in your browser window because the larger font size will not allow for more than 3 numbers. If your signal strength on the home screen was -110, then it would show as -11 once you opened your browser.

Check it when your signal strength is -99 or higher versus when it is -100 or lower. If it is higher -99 or higher then you should see the same two digits that correspond to your signal strength on your home screen (i.e. -98, -95). If it is -100 or lower you will see -10 or -11 etc.

This is the case on my phone at least. I would be interested in finding out if this could be verified across other themes and other Tours.

The reason your browser was faster at -100 compared to -10 is your signal strength may have been -101 or worse, but it only displayed the first two digits (-10) as your signal. That is my guess at least. There could other factors that caused your speed to diminish.

Thanks for your kind reply after my explanation of how negative numbers work.
    well that does make sense with the larger font when the browser is open that they drop a number.
    10-13-09 11:24 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD