Hey All,

First off I would like to say after browsing and following Crackberry and sites like it for months, I am going to be getting my first BB, The Tour this weekend and I am very psyched!!

Though after doing some research, I might have a big problem. I currently have an LG EnV with the Backup Assistant. I have 252 contacts. According to the Verizon guy on the phone, I need to put all 250 in manually and there is no other way to do it. As well there is no 'Backup Assistant' type program for BB available.

I hope someone can give me some clarity on this issue cause the idea of putting in 250+ (500+ in my Mom's case) isn't to thrilling.

Thanks in advance!!
    07-14-09 10:21 AM
    You should be able to have a rep in the store transfer over all your contacts.
    07-14-09 10:22 AM
    You should be able to have a rep in the store transfer over all your contacts.
    i didnt know if they could transfer them from a older "dumbphone" to a smartphone/blackberry ? can they ?
    07-14-09 10:33 AM
    Yea that is one of my main concerns. As well though, backing up because I know my mom won't plug her phone to her computer often.
    07-14-09 10:39 AM
    Yes they can.
    07-14-09 10:41 AM
    They can transfer them from an older 'dumbphone' to the Tour.

But if you didn't want to go to the Verizon store, you can also do it yourself using BitPim. You need a data cable to connect the enV to your computer, but you can use BitPim to transfer the contacts to your computer, export them as a CSV file and then import them into Outlook or Google Sync. You can then transfer them to the BB.

I just had to do this to switch from my Voyager to the Tour. Its a shame Backup Assistant doesn't work on the BBs though, I really liked that program.
    07-14-09 11:02 AM
    Okay cool good to know.
    As well, does anyone know if 2 blackberrys in terms of contacts can be backed up to one computer, or do you need multiple?
    07-14-09 11:02 AM
    They can transfer them from an older 'dumbphone' to the Tour.

But if you didn't want to go to the Verizon store, you can also do it yourself using BitPim. You need a data cable to connect the enV to your computer, but you can use BitPim to transfer the contacts to your computer, export them as a CSV file and then import them into Outlook or Google Sync. You can then transfer them to the BB.

I just had to do this to switch from my Voyager to the Tour. Its a shame Backup Assistant doesn't work on the BBs though, I really liked that program.
    I tried BitPim with the cable I had from the Music Essentials pack but it didn't work. Is it because I am on a Mac maybe? (my Lenovo is being shipped for repair right now.)
    07-14-09 11:18 AM
    Bump.
    Not to be obnoxious but some of this might be make or break for my parents, I know I am set in stone.
    07-14-09 10:22 PM
    If you just have basic contact info, using BitPim export your contacts to a csv file and then use Desktop Manager to synchronize the the file using ASCII Importer. It won't import email address, ringtones, and other important things but you'll at least have names and phone numbers.
    07-14-09 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD