I am new to a blackberry. Is there a way to see my contacts and be able to add contacts on my computer and then have them transfered to the device. I went to a verizon store and they said the desktop manager can not show your contacts. I would like to be able to edit my contacts on the computer
    10-21-09 08:06 AM
    Dm does the synch from the client you use on your computer for contacts. If you use outlook you can view and edit the contacts and synch those contacts thru dm to you BB. Google also has a synch wireless for contacts.

We would need to know what manages your contacts now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 08:52 AM
    I don't use anything, I have always just kept my contacts in the phone, I traded in a voyager. I have about 700 contacts. I use this contact list as my business roledex. I just want to be able to edit them from the computer
    10-21-09 09:09 AM
    I think some folks used Google in some fashion. You could also use comma delimited text files but those are not easy to edit if your data has differing fields.

OUTLOOK is the general standard and BB caters to that. I got a relatively cheap version at Costco.
    10-21-09 09:37 AM
    so if I buy and install outlook the address's and phone numbers will sync to the desktop from the phine and then I can add and edit it and it will sync back?
    10-23-09 07:16 AM
    Yes. You can edit in Outlook or the bb and the result can be synced. Desktop Manager had the control to allow one or the other or both to be merged. It will also do memos abd calendar and I THINk email to some extent - I don't use that

10-23-09 09:04 AM
    Or try the new back-up service from Best Buy, MiQ. It's free and works really well. You can have full access to your contacts and edit them right from your computer and then sync them back to your phone automatically. It's backs-up contacts, photos, videos, emails, etc. Check it out, it's great. Here is the write done on this site.

Free mIQ Sync Service from Best Buy is Live
    Posted in BlackBerry Apps on 20 Oct 2009 13:53 by Adam Zeis | 40 comments

We got a first look at mIQ a few weeks ago, but the official release totally slipped through the cracks as there was no other formal announcement (thanks for the reminder Ro!). The mIQ service from Best Buy Mobile is now live and ready for the world. I've been checking out the service for a few days, and it seems very promising. The premise is simple - install the app on your device and it syncs your contacts, messages, call logs and media with your online account. From there you can login to mIQ and view your media, edit contacts and even send SMS messages all of which sync back to your device. You can integrate the account with Twitter and Facebook as well, and even update your status. mIQ is an excellent free backup solution with the only downside being random ads placed throughout the page in your account. Having the ability to view all your data in one place as well as update contacts from the web is definitely very cool. Head over to miqlive.com to get started.

Check out mIQ free >>

EDIT: sorry the links did not post. Go to Free mobile phone contact, photo, video and text message backup :: mIQ and sign up there.
    10-23-09 09:16 AM
    I use google sync and it works great, you can set it to sync both ways, that way you can add or edit contacts from your phone or computer and it's sync'd in both places. Plus it syncs OTA which is nice. It's the best alternative I've found for a BES.

Haven't used mIQ so can't say how it compares, but with google you have access to all your contacts in a mail client which makes it very convenient when working from a computer. Also easy to edit your contacts.

The only thing I don't like about using google for contacts is not being able to sort them by 'Company'. But you can always do a search for the company your looking for.

HTH
    10-23-09 09:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD