Hi All,

I'm an experienced BB user and know how to set up Contact Alerts, Sound Profiles, etc. I have a custom sound assigned to one contact and it's set up properly, yet the sound plays in EVERY SOUND PROFILE, even silent. YES, I checked all the settings and they are correct. The sound should only play in the Profiles it's set to play. This doesn't happen with any of my other Contact Alerts that are customized with a song / sound file /etc. I've done many-a-battery pull and nothing seems to fix the issue.

Any ideas? HELP! It's very unprofessional during a work meeting to hear Trans-Siberian Orchestra!

BTW: I bought all the sounds I assigned legitimately through Verizon Ringtones so I have no idea why this one is stubborn.

H E L P !!!

-Karen
    07-08-10 08:11 AM
    First, welcome to Crackberry!
    What OS build are you using? VZW's .591 had some nasty issues handling profiles/alerts; I'm not sure this is what you're experiencing though. Is it only the one contact that is being stubborn?
    07-08-10 06:40 PM
    Is the volume in the Contact Alert set to "Active Profile"?
    07-08-10 06:57 PM
    Do you have any contacts listed in the edit profiles exceptions list at the bottom?
    07-08-10 06:59 PM
    Ensure that the contact's phone number is 10 contiguous digits. Compare that contact alert with the others and see if you can see any differences. Delete the contact alert and then re-add it. Did you create the alert by adding it in the Set Contacts Alert screen, or did you edit that particular contact's entry in the Custom Ringtone/Alerts field? Whichever one you did, I'd try the opposite this time.
    07-08-10 08:16 PM
    First, welcome to Crackberry!
    What OS build are you using? VZW's .591 had some nasty issues handling profiles/alerts; I'm not sure this is what you're experiencing though. Is it only the one contact that is being stubborn?
    I'm using 5.0.0.591 Bundle 1002, Platform 4.2.0.272
    I'm gonna go to Verizon today; I went there 3 days ago and they shipped me a new Blackberry. I'll let you know.

And, yes....oddly it's just the one contact and, as I said, I'm well-versed in BB settings and that person is set up EXACTLY like all the rest. Weird, eh?
    07-14-10 06:03 AM
    Is the volume in the Contact Alert set to "Active Profile"?
    Yes, it is set to Active Profile, just as all my other contacts are. I've had BB's for years now and know what I'm doing (imagine that! LOL) so this boggles me completely!
    07-14-10 06:05 AM
    Do you have any contacts listed in the edit profiles exceptions list at the bottom?
    "edit profiles exceptions list at the bottom"
    OK I'm lost!
    07-14-10 06:10 AM
    I'm using 5.0.0.591 Bundle 1002, Platform 4.2.0.272
    I'm gonna go to Verizon today; I went there 3 days ago and they shipped me a new Blackberry. I'll let you know.
    I'm going to stretch the truth just a little bit with this one, but .591 is worthless (even under the platform update). You should install the .732 update VZW has pushed over the last couple of weeks and see if you're still having the issue. .591 was jammed packed with the strangest bugs and oddities from random alerts playing even when the phone was silenced (which sounds like you case, but it was a mms sound issue) to completely bricked and useless phones that had to be taken into the store... Go with the .732 if you want to stick with Official VZW software.

Did you take the device in? You may not need to, but keep us posted!
    07-14-10 09:03 AM
    Yeah, no need to take the device in. Upgrade from that awful OS version.
    07-14-10 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD