I have a Verizon Wireless Tour and am unable to pick up a 2G or 3G signal. When I switch it over to the GSM/UMTS network it will pick up an ATT or T Moblie network but I can't actually use it. Does Verizon just block other networks or is the signal actually not strong enough? Where it shows signal strength it just says SOS. Can someone please explain? Thanks!
    08-14-09 11:10 PM
    Same thing is going on with me. I'm thinking there may be an outage or something? Where in the country are you? I'm in the NE.
    08-14-09 11:32 PM
    yea my data services stopped working around 930 tonight on my tour.

i get lowercase 1xev now =(
    08-15-09 12:23 AM
    Are you guys on a CDMA network with Verizon...I'm pretty sure Verizon is CDMA....so only 1XEV should pop up...I keep mine set to "global" (on my Storm).

To select 2G or 3G on a GSM network, you need to have your phone "unlocked".
    08-15-09 12:36 AM
    If you're on a CDMA network you should keep your network set to IXEV. Your battery will last longer.

To use it on a GSM network you need to unlock it and buy a SIM card from a GSM provider.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So there is no way to tell if I'm on the 3G network then? It will always show 1xEV?

08-15-09 09:30 PM
    VZW is CDMA. SIM card will not work unless you are provisioned for it and outside the US.

Try this - got to options>mobile network and change the network technolgy to 1XEV.

Do a register now again - options>advanced options>menu register now.
    08-15-09 09:34 PM
    If you're on a CDMA network you should keep your network set to IXEV. Your battery will last longer.

To use it on a GSM network you need to unlock it and buy a SIM card from a GSM provider.
    On VZW you do not need to have the device unlocked. It comes with a sim card. You can have tge deviced unlocked and use local SIM cards outside the US.
    08-15-09 09:36 PM
    yea my data services stopped working around 930 tonight on my tour.

i get lowercase 1xev now =(
    I keep having this same issue on my Tour. Every night around 11PM I am dropping the BIS connection. I end up with a lowercase 1xex. I called a Verizon rep the next day and we did the battery pull and such....fixed the problem....but this is a joke if I have to keep battery pulling every morning just to get my data.....

Any advice or tricks?
    08-17-09 12:31 AM
    I keep having this same issue on my Tour. Every night around 11PM I am dropping the BIS connection. I end up with a lowercase 1xex. I called a Verizon rep the next day and we did the battery pull and such....fixed the problem....but this is a joke if I have to keep battery pulling every morning just to get my data.....

Any advice or tricks?
    Download QuickPull and schedule a nightly reset at 4 am or so.
    08-17-09 01:29 AM

Any advice or tricks?

Best tip ever. Take it back try another. I had a couple that wouldnt even register. Its conflicting software. Ask VZW they know about it!!!
    08-17-09 08:21 AM
    On VZW you do not need to have the device unlocked. It comes with a sim card. You can have tge deviced unlocked and use local SIM cards outside the US.
    This isn't entirely true. An unlocked Tour can use AT&T and T-Mobile here in the states. Some people have done this in case they're in a Verizon or Sprint dead spot where AT&T or T-Mobile works. Some even have just activated the device entirely on AT&T or T-Mobile. However, the Verizon SIM card that comes with the device can only be used overseas as Verizon has no GSM roaming arrangements with AT&T or T-Mobile here in the states.

I personally have unlocked my Tour and have used both T-Mobile and AT&T with it as a backup line.

Original Poster - You can also try switching off the radio, wait until it actually says "OFF" and then switching it back on. Sometimes if I get stuck in 1xev if I do that it switches back to 1XEV. If it doesn't work, then I do a battery pull or a reboot. (Alt-Shift-Delete)

Also, you can't really/easily use AT&T or T-Mobile for data unless you have a BlackBerry data plan with them as well... which would seem to be... expensive LOL to have two BlackBerry data plans going...
    Last edited by gimpyviper; 08-17-09 at 08:34 AM.
    08-17-09 08:30 AM
    I'm having the same problem and it occurs randomly throughout the entire day. Doesn't matter where I am - I could be listening to slacker one minute then the next I'm down to 1X or 1xev.

Battery pull *DOES* work but that is a BS solution.

I just posted about this same issue in another thread - http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/wi...e-else-295384/
    08-17-09 08:41 AM
    This isn't entirely true. An unlocked Tour can use AT&T and T-Mobile here in the states. Some people have done this in case they're in a Verizon or Sprint dead spot where AT&T or T-Mobile works. Some even have just activated the device entirely on AT&T or T-Mobile. However, the Verizon SIM card that comes with the device can only be used overseas as Verizon has no GSM roaming arrangements with AT&T or T-Mobile here in the states.

I personally have unlocked my Tour and have used both T-Mobile and AT&T with it as a backup line.

Original Poster - You can also try switching off the radio, wait until it actually says "OFF" and then switching it back on. Sometimes if I get stuck in 1xev if I do that it switches back to 1XEV. If it doesn't work, then I do a battery pull or a reboot. (Alt-Shift-Delete)

Also, you can't really/easily use AT&T or T-Mobile for data unless you have a BlackBerry data plan with them as well... which would seem to be... expensive LOL to have two BlackBerry data plans going...
    I find with my 8830, if I run the TEST from the Manage Connections app, that it will also reconnect whereas sometimes turning off/on does not do it.

You mentioned using AT&T - do you also get DATA or only phone use that way. And what kind of AT&T "service" do you have or pay for? Mere usage or an actual plan?
    08-17-09 09:45 AM
    I find with my 8830, if I run the TEST from the Manage Connections app, that it will also reconnect whereas sometimes turning off/on does not do it.

You mentioned using AT&T - do you also get DATA or only phone use that way. And what kind of AT&T "service" do you have or pay for? Mere usage or an actual plan?
    I only use voice on my GSM plan. The AT&T SIM I have is a GoPhone pay as you go plan. The T-Mobile one is a standard voice only plan.

I have temporarily had an AT&T SIM in my phone from one of my user's BlackBerry. The connection fired right up to full EDGE and everything worked, email etc. All my email came in even though it was a vzw.bis address. Worked like a champ.
    08-17-09 09:49 AM
    So I can use at&t network even if I'm on verizon if I switch my connect to gsm and find at&t or do I have to unlock it and pay for at&t contract

08-18-09 08:32 PM
    So I can use at&t network even if I'm on verizon if I switch my connect to gsm and find at&t or do I have to unlock it and pay for at&t contract

You have to unlock your Tour and get an AT&T SIM card, the Verizon SIM card that comes with your phone won't work on AT&T or T-Mobile networks.
    08-18-09 08:36 PM
    So I have to have a at&t. Contract

08-18-09 08:40 PM
    You can use a pay as you go SIM card as well, though I don't think that will do data.

If you want to do data with a GSM network in the US, it doesn't make much sense using an unlocked Tour, as it will only get EDGE. Verizon's EVDO pretty much whomps on EDGE. If you want full 3G with a GSM network, why not get a Bold?
    08-18-09 08:42 PM
    The only way to get BlackBerry data service without a contract is through T-Mobile, they have a pre-paid BlackBerry data plan. But it's not like pay as you go, i.e. it's not like you only pay when you use it. You have to pay for the month up front. I believe it's 29.99 a month or it may be 19.99 I forget. Regardless it's fairly useless for me.

Fabolous has a good point, since the Tour is only 2G GSM (EDGE) capable in the US, it's not the best performing device you can get.

I do understand why some people may prefer it over a Bold though, as the Tour has a better camera and is smaller.

Overall though, if you plan to strictly use a GSM provider you're better off with a Bold. (Is the camera really that critical? Plus the Bold has Wi-Fi) The only reason I would use the Tour on GSM is if I had it activated on Verizon but frequently visited EVDO dead spots where there was GSM coverage. Then I would just get a pay as you go AT&T card and switch it on only when necessary just for voice coverage.

(which is pretty much what I do now)
    08-18-09 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD