I recently bought a Verizon Tour on eBay and it seems that it was previously set up with a BES. I have tried every method of deleting the IT policy that I can find on the Internet and each one it seems to get better (I can use more and more apps without errors each time I try a new IT policy delete method) but apparently there is still and IT policy on the device. I though it was completely gone as of a few days ago since I haven't had any problems, but this morning I installed the SIRIUS/XM app and low and behold...I get another IT policy error message and can't use the app.

I would like to know if completely formatting the device (as in, remove all data, OS, everything so there is literally nothing left on the device) would remove the IT policy once and for all? I am extremely fed up with trying to get rid of this thing. Also, how would I go about this?
    03-22-10 10:22 AM
    Try with BBSAK. It will wipe your device and you will have to load a new OS on it. I'm far from an expert but I think it will remove any IT policy.
    03-22-10 10:26 AM
    Yeah, that should fix the problem. When you wipe out your device, do a backup through DM (You can restore all or certain files like address book, calender events, etc. instead of everything.) and also use BBSAK to backup and restore your third party apps. Once you have backed up everything you can go to Options>SecurityOptions>Hit your BB button and select "Wipe handheld".

Once your phone has been wiped and reloaded, restore your apps and files and your problem should be fixed. If I miss anything in there everyone, please feel free to correct me. Hope that helps.
    03-22-10 10:34 AM
    well, since i've been having so many issues with this thing so far, i haven't really put many apps or other data on the phone yet...nothing i'm worried about losing anyway. so i think i'll just do the wipe through BBSAK without backing up and then make a real backup once I verify that the IT policy is not on the device anymore. Thanks for the help.
    03-22-10 10:47 AM
    Well good luck, let us know if that fixes your problem.
    03-22-10 10:57 AM
    Keep us posted. The BBSAK wipe and reinstall should be all you need. Consider putting a 5.0 build on it (since VZW's isn't out yet). Try the offical sprint build 5.0.0.484. I'm using it on my VZW9630 and its great. No problems.
    03-22-10 11:03 AM
    thanks, i'm definitely going to use the sprint 5.0 OS. downloading everything i need now and i'll update with what happens later on today.
    03-22-10 11:15 AM
    well i used bbsak 1.7 to wipe the device and loaded the sprint official 5.0 release also through bbsak. i still seem to have the it policy somehow installed. any other suggestions?
    03-22-10 02:03 PM
    03-22-10 02:08 PM
    i've tried that one before, but i'll try it again now that i've updated to 5.0 OS
    03-22-10 02:37 PM
    the method posted by vanduker did not work...but i finally did get something to work. the "factory reset" button in BBSAK did the trick. under options>security options>firewall the firewall status is now unlocked and i can enable and disable the firewall at will. all my apps seem to be working normally now, so i'm pretty sure i have gotten rid of the it policy once and for all.
    03-22-10 03:59 PM
    the method posted by vanduker did not work...but i finally did get something to work. the "factory reset" button in BBSAK did the trick. under options>security options>firewall the firewall status is now unlocked and i can enable and disable the firewall at will. all my apps seem to be working normally now, so i'm pretty sure i have gotten rid of the it policy once and for all.
    Hurray! Finally. Glad everything has turned out for you. I wonder why it was so stubborn? Question for you though... What did the "factory reset" do? What's the difference between that and the "wipe"?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 04:27 PM
    so.....everything was working just fine all day long. loaded up all my contacts (manually...not the easiest thing to do) and downloaded a bunch of apps. things were working great. until i came home and decided to back up all my contacts that i spent an hour manually entering. as soon as i plugged my blackberry into the computer and opened desktop manager i got a message on the device that reads like this:

Application downloads or admin
    changes require device to reboot for
    approx 2 minutes. Device inoperable
    for voice, data and 911 while
    rebooting. Notice 1 of 5.
    Automatic reboot in 8 minutes if no
    selection made.

REBOOT NOW
    REBOOT LATER

the it policy now seems to be back on my phone. thankfully, i know how to get rid of it again, but how do i keep it from reloading it every time i open desktop manager?
    03-22-10 09:38 PM
    Uninstall Desktop Manager completely. As long as you have managed to remove the IT Policy from your Tour, when you re-install the DM it will only recognize your Tour as BIS and not BES.
    03-23-10 04:04 AM
    did that last night (uninstalled desktop manager) and deleted all the files/folders it left behind. then reinstalled and made a fresh backup. just backed up my blackberry a few minutes ago after installing apps and adding contacts all day, and it seems to be fine now.
    03-23-10 06:34 PM
    Good to hear! I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever had that problem. I had a problem with BES interfering with my Facebook and I couldnt sync my Facebook contacts or events with my calender. A phone wipe helped all of that. Hope your phone continues to work flawlessly. The Tour is a beautiful phone when it doesnt have any problems. That was the only problem with mine, which really wasn't a problem at all lol.
    03-24-10 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD