As a 2 1/2 year moto q user, i REALLY need a new smartphone. I wont change carriers so i am either getting the tour or the pre. So ive got a list of what i think the advantages are of each phone. i sort of expect to be beat down as far as the pre goes, seeing as how this is a blackberry forum, but im just going to lay down some facts.

Pre:
    Browser will be worlds better
    WIFI
    touch screen
    more modern os with convenient features (notifications, etc..)
    better multitasking
    no camera lag
    integrates with itunes

Tour:
    Battery life will be better
    build quality supposedly better
    easier text/better kb
    video capability (tho pre allegedly will get it with update)
    more apps [for now]
    expandible to 32gb
    higher resolution screen

feel free to input FACTS about these phones, please none of this "i saw the pre and its crap im stickin with my berry..." as of now, im leaning towards the tour so my main question is, why is it a better phone despite the lack of wifi, touch screen, inovative os?
    07-10-09 01:49 PM
    Okay i've used the pre and theres camera lag. About the same. The browser was good on the pre but you can get better browsers on the bb.. Nobody ever uses the standard broswer most use operamini or bolt but skyfire is coming out sometime. The battery on the pre is horrible Ive heard. Plus i've played with the pre's at the store and themselves were ran horrible.. The pre's Os is pretty cool but the keyboard is really really small. That reason alone I didn't like it. I wouldn't say it's better at multitasking but i think it's easier to manage your tasks because of the cards. If you really don't know you could try one for 30days and see if you like it if not return for the other one.
    Last edited by Tdubby; 07-10-09 at 01:55 PM.
    07-10-09 01:52 PM
    I made a few adjustments/corrections

Pre:
    Browser will be worlds better
    WIFI
    touch screen
    more modern os with convenient features (notifications, etc..) I am not sure what you mean by convenient features.
    better multitasking
    no camera lag
    integrates with itunes (if you mean syncs then so does the berry)

Tour:
    Battery life will be a million times better
    build quality is much better
    easier text/ much much much better kb
    video capability (tho pre allegedly will get it with update)
    more apps [for now]
    expandible to 32gb
    higher resolution screen
    solid well built dependable OS
    I have a coworker that picked up a pre on day one and I have not been impressed in any way shape or form. I just don't see it as being all that.

If you play with it and it is your cup of tea though, then go for it. Get what works for you and not someone else.

Just my $0.02
    Last edited by roeod4; 07-10-09 at 02:01 PM.
    07-10-09 01:59 PM
    feel free to input FACTS about these phones, please none of this "i saw the pre and its crap im stickin with my berry..."
    I have a coworker that picked up a pre on day one and I have not been impressed in any way shape or form
    not to be a jag or anything

but my biggest gripe is the fact of no wifi, does this really make a big difference in speed over the data plan?
    07-10-09 02:07 PM

but my biggest gripe is the fact of no wifi, does this really make a big difference in speed over the data plan?
    I had the pre and wifi was not fast at all i noticed no difference. No matter what you're still on a phone and it can only be so fast...
    07-10-09 02:15 PM
    I was on the fence too then I started following the threads on precentral. Evidently it's still riddled with multilple bugs, which are mostly just neusances. The real killer for me is the lack of tower reception. I already live out in the sticks and can't afford to have my only means of communication thwarted by glitches. Wifi capability has never paid off for me so I don't even consider it a selling point; especially with high speed network access OTA.
    07-10-09 10:31 PM
    Okay i've used the pre and theres camera lag. About the same. The browser was good on the pre but you can get better browsers on the bb.. Nobody ever uses the standard broswer most use operamini or bolt but skyfire is coming out sometime. The battery on the pre is horrible Ive heard. Plus i've played with the pre's at the store and themselves were ran horrible.. The pre's Os is pretty cool but the keyboard is really really small. That reason alone I didn't like it. I wouldn't say it's better at multitasking but i think it's easier to manage your tasks because of the cards. If you really don't know you could try one for 30days and see if you like it if not return for the other one.
    I am going to be getting my tour soon and I was wondering: what makes the operamini and bolt browsers that I have read so much about so much better than the standard browser? And what is going to be so "amazing" about this skyfire browser? Also, when you download them (you do download them from your BB, right?) are you able to put them as a "quick access" icon on the main screen or will it have to be in some folder?
    07-10-09 10:37 PM
    Um opera mini is just alot faster and renders pages better.. skyfire is supposed to have flash support i think something that no other browser is capable of doing. Yeah when you download it there's an icon that you can put whereever you want. alot of people like the operamini.
    07-10-09 10:57 PM
    I am going to be getting my tour soon and I was wondering: what makes the operamini and bolt browsers that I have read so much about so much better than the standard browser? And what is going to be so "amazing" about this skyfire browser? Also, when you download them (you do download them from your BB, right?) are you able to put them as a "quick access" icon on the main screen or will it have to be in some folder?
    I replaced IEmobile with SkyFire on my WinMo phone (don't know about how the BB version works) and its great. Basically they render the web page on their servers and reformat it to work faster and better to your phone, like a translator. I've been able to watch youtube videos with ease, and it performs very fast. Doesn't eat up my battery as much as it used to now that it's in v1. But again, that's just me experience on my XV6800, I don't know how it'd work with a BB.
    07-10-09 10:59 PM
    Had opera mini before and was pretty good. (Better than symbian OS's browser for SURE). I'll be sure and check into better browsers like skyfire. Thanks for the info.
    07-10-09 11:25 PM
    Um opera mini is just alot faster and renders pages better.. skyfire is supposed to have flash support i think something that no other browser is capable of doing. Yeah when you download it there's an icon that you can put whereever you want. alot of people like the operamini.
    Ok. that sounds good, thanks for the info.

I replaced IEmobile with SkyFire on my WinMo phone (don't know about how the BB version works) and its great. Basically they render the web page on their servers and reformat it to work faster and better to your phone, like a translator. I've been able to watch youtube videos with ease, and it performs very fast. Doesn't eat up my battery as much as it used to now that it's in v1. But again, that's just me experience on my XV6800, I don't know how it'd work with a BB.
    Sounds like it will be great.
    07-11-09 10:06 AM

Wifi has been discussed so much. Do you really need it that bad? Where do you actually use it? Why are you using it?

I can see there are times where it may come in handy, but I am with the group that has had it on a phone before and not used it. It just eats up the battery and is not a requirement in most cases. Handy feature if you have no reception, but happen to have a wifi network? Yes. But it is not an end all by any means
    07-11-09 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD