RIM BlackBerry Tour 9630 (Verizon Wireless) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Again, it's basically what I expected. They said there was 'shutter lag' with the camera, but from the video's I've seen it's just not there. I feel like they were confusing shutter lag with autofocus. I'm not usually a big fan of CNET reviews, but this one is pretty solid.
    Last edited by trebb; 07-03-09 at 12:52 PM.
    07-03-09 12:49 PM
    I love how the title says BlackBerry Tour 9630 (Sprint), but in "The Bottom Line" it says "With a winning design and fast performance, the RIM BlackBerry Tour 9630 is one of Verizon Wireless' top smartphones for both business users and messaging fanatics.

It's not based on this review, but I'm start not to like CNET anymore. They give almost identical ratings for every single phone. Plus for the Tmobile Dash 3G, they put a 2 MP camera under the good category.
    07-03-09 12:54 PM
    I edited it to be the VZW version which has a video, but the Sprint review is the exact same thing. They're the exact same phone, so why not? They could have changed the carrier names at least though. :P
    07-03-09 12:58 PM
    Damn, there are a ton of Verizon 9630s floating around. RIM must've sent out a boatload.
    07-03-09 01:02 PM
    BlackBerry Tour - Review of the BlackBerry Tour (Verizon Wireless)

There's another review. I don't feel like starting another thread for it though.
    07-03-09 01:04 PM
    Damn, there are a ton of Verizon 9630s floating around. RIM must've sent out a boatload.
    It went gold a long time ago. It was just about releasing it at the right time.
    07-03-09 01:07 PM

There's another review. I don't feel like starting another thread for it though.

Did you notice that this reviewer had the tour with old, shiny back. I really hope that this isn't the back that us Verizon customers will be getting. Here's the link to the picture that shows the back... Image Gallery: BlackBerry Tour - Review of the BlackBerry Tour (Verizon Wireless)
    07-03-09 03:33 PM
    decent review and If I don't get one on launch day I am going to blaim the bloggers as my model went to one of them
    07-03-09 03:41 PM
    Did you notice that this reviewer had the tour with old, shiny back. I really hope that this isn't the back that us Verizon customers will be getting. Here's the link to the picture that shows the back... Image Gallery: BlackBerry Tour - Review of the BlackBerry Tour (Verizon Wireless)
    There are a bunch of unboxing photos on BGR and the Crackberry homepage that fairly solidly show that the Tour released through Verizon has the matte back.
    07-03-09 03:44 PM

This review also rated the Tour's call quality as excellent. That's what I want to hear. It seems that most people tend to forget that a Blackberry is still a phone.
    07-03-09 04:25 PM
    I just want to see Phone dog do a review. I like that Noah guy.
    07-03-09 04:45 PM
    CNET is kind of bleh for phone reviews...things like supposed shutter delay and not saving apps to memory card is really nitpicky...

Which phone has apps that you can save to a memory card anyway?
    07-03-09 05:25 PM
    CNET blows for reviews but at least that Ken Sherman guy wasn't on the video. I can't stand to look at him..
    07-04-09 01:21 AM
    CNET is kind of bleh for phone reviews...things like supposed shutter delay and not saving apps to memory card is really nitpicky...

Well, I don't even agree with the shutter lag part, but the memory card thing is a different story. If I'm correct, you can save applications to a memory card on Windows Mobile devices. I know that the reason we cannot is due to security limitations, but if that's the case, give me more application memory!
    07-04-09 01:45 AM

I can install apps to my memory card or main memory on my WinMo 6.1 XV6800. Never have though, figured it'd be just a touch faster to save them to the onboard.
    07-04-09 01:46 AM
    Maybe the 2mp camera produced good quality pictures. 2mp is 1600x1200 resolution, how many people's monitors run that high? I'll tell you its definitely not the majority. You can print a 4x6 off of 2mp. More megapixels do not equal better picture quality. It just means bigger resolution, bigger file size, and in most cases crappier quality. It's not about how much megapixels it's about the quality of the sensor.

I love how the title says BlackBerry Tour 9630 (Sprint), but in "The Bottom Line" it says "With a winning design and fast performance, the RIM BlackBerry Tour 9630 is one of Verizon Wireless' top smartphones for both business users and messaging fanatics.

It's not based on this review, but I'm start not to like CNET anymore. They give almost identical ratings for every single phone. Plus for the Tmobile Dash 3G, they put a 2 MP camera under the good category.
    07-04-09 01:46 PM
    I can install apps to my memory card or main memory on my WinMo 6.1 XV6800. Never have though, figured it'd be just a touch faster to save them to the onboard.
    I've tried to install apps to my card. It's more than "a touch" faster to use onboard.
    07-04-09 01:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD