Hey all, I'm so frustrated. Just got my new Tour, everything is working fine. I can change the ringtones of my calls just fine, but when it comes to changing the tone of a text message, it doesn't seem to be working.

I go to Sounds>Set Ring Tones/Alerts>SMS Text>Ring Tone and I change it to a song I had put on the phone from my computer. The song is in mp3 format, works fine on the music player, and even when i hit "Try It" it plays with no problem. After I've selected my song, I hit save, and ask my friends to text me. Once they do, I keep getting the generic ring that was originally on the phone for texts.

This is frustrating the *** out of me because I know im doing everything right and I dont know anything else. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks a ton.
    08-10-09 01:47 AM
    Anything? Should I take it back to the store and explain the problem?
    08-10-09 02:11 AM
    Hey all, I'm so frustrated. Just got my new Tour, everything is working fine. I can change the ringtones of my calls just fine, but when it comes to changing the tone of a text message, it doesn't seem to be working.

I go to Sounds>Set Ring Tones/Alerts>SMS Text>Ring Tone and I change it to a song I had put on the phone from my computer. The song is in mp3 format, works fine on the music player, and even when i hit "Try It" it plays with no problem. After I've selected my song, I hit save, and ask my friends to text me. Once they do, I keep getting the generic ring that was originally on the phone for texts.

This is frustrating the *** out of me because I know im doing everything right and I dont know anything else. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks a ton.
    Do you have mass storage enabled? Also are you testing with your device still plugged into your computer?
    08-10-09 02:13 AM
    Dont know how to enable mass storage, im extremely new to blackberry (this is my first one). And my phone isnt plugged into my computer.
    08-10-09 02:14 AM
    Just to double check, you aren't making the sound change to the normal profile while using a custom profile? That seems like it would mess things up...
    08-10-09 02:15 AM
    The song for the ringtone is the same in both the normal profile and custom profile.
    08-10-09 02:16 AM
    i have found, on my tour, that if you set a custom ringtone for a contact, and that contact sends you a message (be it text, email, mms, etc), it will sound off a default tone unless you set a custom tone for messages for that contact.
    08-10-09 05:11 AM
    From what I understand, you should make all your settings adjustments in the normal mode because everything else (except for custom) works based on the normal settings. Normal sets the base setting.
    08-10-09 07:11 AM
    Can someone explain what a Level 1 is?
    08-10-09 09:38 AM
    i had this issue with my phone too.

change the ringtone, then do a battery pull, upon reboot confirm the changes. worked for me.

maybe it's an OS bug?
    08-11-09 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD