No i'm pretty sure you're wrong. CDMA penetrates much better than GSM.

THink before you speak.
    Well, since your only "PRETTY SURE," I guess I can say the same thing huh? From what I've gathered, low freq penetrates more than high regardless of radio. But wiki states, and no one disputes so far except you, that low freq GSM has more urban building penetration than CDMA despite the better tower hand off of CDMA. Right or wrong, its not about "thinking." However, posting a comment should take a lot of "THINKING" before speaking as well
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-08-09 at 11:31 AM.
    05-08-09 11:26 AM
    Wow, all this subjective info flying.

"CDMA is better"
    "No, you're wrong because I get better service at my house with GSM"

The better service you happen to get at your house means nothing to anyone but you.

Am I biased? Probably. Making a call and still having internet can be pretty darn handy sometimes.

I admit, AT&T had more dropped calls than I would like, but the coverage was excellent. Working for a multi-carrier store in the past, I had demo phones from multiple carriers on me at most times. In the Seattle area, AT&T had coverage in more places than Verizon, but you couldn't always get a clear call to go through. Neither is really better. I've had good call quality with T-Mobile, at the expense of rural coverage. It's also rare that I travel to rural enough areas for it to be an issue. Sprint's data works very well, but the calls often lacked quality. T-Mobile's data works great, when you're in a 3G area. The big problem there is the sparse 3G coverage.

Is the company that gets person X service in his metal boat the best? For him it is. Not necessarily for me though. To say one company is "the best" is very similar to saying one type of computer is "the best". You're neglecting the context of the user's needs. There is no "Best" until one network does everything better than any others
    12-30-09 05:16 AM
    in the northeast and southwest (texas, houston) the strongest signal is CDMA, i have a tour with verizon and a curve with sprint and a lg phone from att (job phone) and i get better coverage with the verizon and sprint. but it's really up to you like norriscell cell above.
    12-30-09 10:54 PM
    Bell and Telus CS and reps say that their new hspa network is stronger and penetrates buildings better than cdma. 2 of my friends tell me they get 5 full bars most of the time and have better reception in buildings/ basements than before on cdma. I'm not the one claiming this so don't really know if its true. I'm switching to the new network so I guess I will find out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-09 07:37 AM
    Bell and Telus CS and reps say that their new hspa network is stronger and penetrates buildings better than cdma. 2 of my friends tell me they get 5 full bars most of the time and have better reception in buildings/ basements than before on cdma. I'm not the one claiming this so don't really know if its true. I'm switching to the new network so I guess I will find out.

LOL I love this forum.. you're all ******* idiots.

HSPA/UMTS etc.. IS WCDMA BASED!!!

So Telus has no idea what they're talking about.

Do some god damn research people!

And as we have seen the last few days GSm is completely broken. Some researchers have broken it and you can now listen into calls, decrypt them, text messages and also man in the middle GSM calls.

GSM is dead.

Most future protocols are WCDMA based or derived.

GSM is old and insecure.
    12-31-09 09:17 AM
    GSM is better in terms of someone who goes outside of the united states, its more recognized and used worldwide, it is also less secure then cdma though. as people have already noted on this thread cdma does have a lesser chance of dropping calls do to its softer handoffs form tower to tower.

also with Smartphones doing double and triple duty as streaming video podcast receivers and email devices, speed is important to those who use the phone for more than making calls. CDMA has been traditionally faster than GSM, though both technologies continue to rapidly leapfrog along this path (AT&T winning the speed test this year).

so which one is better in my opinion is like asking which phone is better the blackberry or the iphone they both have strengths and weaknesses and will appeal to ones needs, and what a person does for a living. if you predominintly live in the united states and dont travel outside the country well CMDA would be a great choice. if your quite the opposite will going the gsm route might be better for you. lucky for us blackberry users companies like verizon, and RIM work together to produce a device that can do both which is always good for everyone.

AND YEA I KNOW MY ANSWER IS PRETTY DOPE LOL!!!
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 12-31-09 at 09:38 AM.
    12-31-09 09:35 AM
    One more thing that hasn't been mentioned: GSM Buzz. I can tell when my T-Mo BB is on from the buzzing in my radio. Don't get that with my VZW BB. And I stopped getting phantom vibrations since switching to carrying only a CDMA BB...

From looking at the cell-tower locations in Google Maps, it seems like CDMA distances can be longer. I generally see "within 1000-2500 meters" compared to GSM that was usually around 600-1200 meters.
    12-31-09 10:00 AM
    LOL I love this forum.. you're all ******* idiots.
    Did you include yourself in that comment? I sure hope so.
    01-01-10 08:21 AM
    Yea that comment just yells ok I got stripped searched last night and some big 400 lb dude gave me a cavity search with knuckles the size of baseballs, so ill take it out on all the cb members. Jeez GARY4567 chill out man it will heal hahahahaha.

01-01-10 08:25 AM
    One more thing that hasn't been mentioned: GSM Buzz. I can tell when my T-Mo BB is on from the buzzing in my radio. Don't get that with my VZW BB. And I stopped getting phantom vibrations since switching to carrying only a CDMA BB...

From looking at the cell-tower locations in Google Maps, it seems like CDMA distances can be longer. I generally see "within 1000-2500 meters" compared to GSM that was usually around 600-1200 meters.
    the gsm buzz doesnt happen for 3G devices. only 2G and older ones. so its not an issue anymore in the states anyway...
    05-02-10 05:18 PM
    AT&T = 850 & 1900 GSM
    T-Mo = 1900 GSM only (the reason you get no signal inside)
    Vz = 850 & 1900 CDMA
    Sprint = 1900 CDMA only
    is that why im still using VZW instead of sprint?
    it looks to me here that i should be looking at AT&T as the alternative not Sprint.
    05-03-10 09:52 PM
    Which is better? Better? Well better is a very subjective word, and whats better to me might not be better to you. I'll start with the facts, Tmo and Att both are GSM, att's 3g is at about 3.6mbs right now, Tmo has 7.3 mbps right now and rolling out 21 mbps in Philadelphia. Both can do data and voice. However, take a look at their 3g foot print, very small. So if not in 3g area, you might get edge or gprs data which is 112kbps or 64kbps max, respectively, also, these two data standards dont support data and voice at the same time. Because Tmo and Att are essentially "hybrid" 2 and 3g, you are not guaranteed to have 3g all the time. I work for tmobile and before our area had 3g coverage, we had a dedicated tower for our building, and even then could not maintain a 3g connection all the time, additionally, none of the GSM carriers phones have a 3g only option, and that in and of itself is a testament to their own faith in reliability and availability of 3g coverage. Where i live in Chattanooga, with either GSM carrier, you lose 3g outside of the city limits, and even EDGE a little further out.

With Verizon and Sprint, they run CDMA, EVDO rev. A, however you wish to refer to it. People in this post claim a max speed of 3.2mbps, I have never got more than 2.6mbps tethering real world with Verizon. Either way more than enough speed to browse, stream videos, maybe not in full screen HD but decently and reliably. You may not have data and voice at the same time, but while running either, you will have excellent reliability. Verizon's 3g foot print, although while only about 90% of their foot print is EVDO with the high speed data, I can drive from Chattanooga, to California and never lose my "3g" coverage, I can stream music or video and never miss a beat. Sprint has EVDO coverage on about 40-50% of its foot print, the rest is just 1XRTT, which is about as fast as edge, but mainly provided through roaming partners. So If you live in the city and want to do any data with your iPhone or your myTouch or your HD2, and never leave than GSM is for you. But if you love being able to use your phone to the fullest of its ability 95% of the time, than CDMA or verizon is best for you. My aunt and uncle have iPhones and I love how if we go somewhere, thye often say "oh no, I lost my 3g, the E doest work well. Beyonf that, if you have issues with your coverage in home both sprint and verizon have options to use your high speed internet connection to make a minit ower in your house. Tmobile doesnt support their hot spot @home wifi "UMA" service anymore and if your phone isn't UMA your SOL. Further more Att and Tmo are priding themselves on speed, but power is nothing without control. when you have no signal in your house, a BS line about how fast tmobile is, is not going to help me. As far as battery life, 3g and CDMA are harder on batteries than edge or GPRS with GSM. Most GSM carriers address battery life issue with tips like go in to 2g only mode and don't use GPS. Well if i wanted 2g only, why would I have bought an iPhone 3GS or a mytouch 3G. So you be the judge, speedy in the city or almost as speedy but everywhere you want it to be. And as for most of the world being GSM, who cares. I don't care how Europe does it, Europeans also pay Value Added Taxes, so lets not jsut do it or think its better cause Europe does it.
    05-03-10 10:16 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD