Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can't tether with Tour OS 5

I regularly use my Tour to tether from my laptop. Works fine both USB cable and bluetooth. Yes, I have the tethering contract from Verizon.

Since upgrading to OS 5...230 from 4.7, the laptop can't find the phone.

Is this a known issue with OS 5 beta? If so, I'll have to downgrade back to 4.7. That brings up another issue - how do I do downgrade the OS? The upgrade was painless.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is this a known issue with OS 5 beta? If so, I'll have to downgrade back to 4.7. That brings up another issue - how do I do downgrade the OS? The upgrade was painless.
    OS5 is beta, not everything is implemented. As far as downgrading goes, simply uninstall the OS5 beta software, delete the Vendor.xml(C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader) file, then install the 4.7.x.x, finally run DM to install(phone docked obviously).

hope that helps.
    dcrin3.com
    One Second Coming
    1s-
    Tour - 9/6/9 | ~3pm
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,027 Global Posts

I'm running OS 5.0.0.238, and I've been able to tether without any problems.
    CrackBerry Abuser

On that note, the difference here so far is the carrier. What OSes are you running on your computers both of you?
    dcrin3.com
    One Second Coming
    1s-
    Tour - 9/6/9 | ~3pm
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,027 Global Posts

I've tested on XP Pro x64, Vista Home, and Win 7 Ultimate x64.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I confirm XP Pro x64, Vista Home, Win7 x64 Ult as well on DM5 SP1 strictly backing up and syncing contacts. I don't have the sprint connection for internet as it has been recently disconnected/ended.
    dcrin3.com
    One Second Coming
    1s-
    Tour - 9/6/9 | ~3pm
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

I tether from .230 to XP just fine, but like everyone has learned every OS can act differently on different phones, so it may just not want to work on your's.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Followup on above - I downgraded back to 4.7. Tethering works fine. Too bad, there were a few features in 5.0 that I liked.
    CrackBerry User

I'm running 230 and can tether fine on XP and 7 on VZW. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet on OSX.

EDIT: I don't use VZAM, but have manually configured DUN on both XP and 7.
    Last edited by spectraphysics; 11-06-2009 at 11:12 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    NED To A Wall

Known issue with 5.0 and VZAM. You can try a manual DUN, or go back to 4.7 They software folks that write VZAM are working on a fix.
    RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

The only stupid question, is the one not asked.
    CrackBerry User

yuppppers...
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Why?

I'm tethering with OS 5.0 with no tethering problems at all. I am using Tetherberry.
    Seize the opportunity!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Thank you Lastraid. I re-installed 5.0, and set up a manual dialup networking connection. Works great!

My laptop runs Vista 64. Apparently some problems with bluetooth drivers for that. I did a search on google for "widcomm vista 64", and found a link to a Gateway computers web site. I can now also connect from laptop to the Tour for dialup networking, using bluetooth.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Interesting thing has happened. After manually creating the dialup connection, VZWM now works! Not that it really matters, I don't see any benefit to using VZAM or the manual connection, but interesting nonetheless.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Further followup on the thread above. Using Vista 64, manual dialup connection works fine ONLY if Blackberry Desktop Manager is running in the background. I was having trouble with the connection, and read on the BB FAQ that DM in the background is required for tethering. With BB DM in background, the connection works fine again.