Hello everyone. First post and on my 3rd Tour within a month. I can't silence e-mail alerts on this phone. Verizon store couldn't help, Verizon tech support couldn't help and 2 hours on phone with Blackberry support didn't work. Just picked up my 3rd and am receiving e-mail and getting alerted even though it's showing silent AGAIN...Please help
    09-30-09 01:58 PM
    Are you using a standard or custom profile? I assume that the device OS is .40, correct?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 02:01 PM
    So you have chosen the silent profile and you are still getting sound alerts?

Go to the profiles menu-edit profiles-silent-messages-select email account-and volume should say silent and vibration off. If not make the appropriate changes and do so for every email account.
    09-30-09 02:07 PM
    I go to the speaker upper left, set ring tones/alerts, messages, e-mail and the volume is on silent. I go to "try it" and it's silent. When I get an e-mail it alerts. I spoke with Blackberry support and they said my first phones software was corrupt and when they gave me the 2nd phone and synced them together, first phone corrupted 2nd phone. Now yesterday, I told the guy this at the verizon store and he said he would only transfer the contacts to the 3rd phone and he promised me this would not corrupt # 3. Well it's corrupted. Could this be the problem? Should I go for #4 and sync my own contacts from outlook? Very frustrated...Getting woken up @ night every time I get an e-mail. Thanks for the help
    10-01-09 07:09 AM
    OMG, I am having the same problem with my BB Tour. I just got it from Sprint. I have it on silence and it doesn't silence. I did a wipe, and same thing. I also went to all features on phone and it doesn't stop that damn thing from making alerts everytime I get an email. What can I do???
    10-09-09 12:00 PM
    I go to the speaker upper left, set ring tones/alerts, messages, e-mail and the volume is on silent. I go to "try it" and it's silent. When I get an e-mail it alerts. I spoke with Blackberry support and they said my first phones software was corrupt and when they gave me the 2nd phone and synced them together, first phone corrupted 2nd phone. Now yesterday, I told the guy this at the verizon store and he said he would only transfer the contacts to the 3rd phone and he promised me this would not corrupt # 3. Well it's corrupted. Could this be the problem? Should I go for #4 and sync my own contacts from outlook? Very frustrated...Getting woken up @ night every time I get an e-mail. Thanks for the help
    Setting the "Ringtones/Alerts" menu ONLY changes the "Normal" setting, no matter what setting you currently set it to. If you have it set to a custom profile you have to change that custom profile. If you have it set to Loud, I believe it'll alert you no matter what.
    10-09-09 12:19 PM
    I had the same problem and after HOURS of dialogue with all of the appropriate techs, no one could fix it. Then, after a friend sent me a copy of a thread here on Crackberry, a fix was briefly mentioned, and almost overlooked.

The fix. . . . Turn your sound control to "Normal." That's it. Instead of having your default sounds set to "Loud," change it to "Normal." Problem solved. You will no longer get E-mail alerts that you have set on silent. They will truly be silent. All other alerts will work normally.

This probably is an OS problem that they will address in an update. But for now, try this and it will set you free!
    11-03-09 09:51 PM
    No offense, and I don't mean this sarcastically-but I strongly believe the true problem here is simply user error. I couldn't reciprocate this issue on any of my tours, running various OS's.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-09 09:56 PM
    No offense here either, but until you spend hours trying everything under the sun to shut off your E-mail alerts. . . .

This IS NOT user error!!! Many have had this problem. Changing "individual" settings to "silent" simply doesn't work if your overall setting for sounds is on the "Loud" setting. You MUST change your overall sound setting to "Normal." Setting it to "Phone Only" is another fix, but that shuts off everything except your ringer and your alarm. So, if you want ALL of your sounds to work properly, change the setting to "Normal."
    11-03-09 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD