So I've been running Root Mobile on my phone for the past few months now, and am noticing that my coverage has NEVER ONCE been better than -80 on my Sprint Tour. Its eiter -80 or above. I've been through several OS's both leaked, hybrids, and official...but can never seem to get reception below -80 ...
    Last edited by mconk; 04-21-10 at 11:07 PM.
    04-21-10 10:54 PM
    Lol...are you dropping calls? slow data? If youre coverage/service is still okay then who the heck cares about the number? Mines at -88 right now and its perfectly fine.
    04-21-10 11:12 PM
    Lol...are you dropping calls? slow data? If youre coverage/service is still okay then who the heck cares about the number? Mines at -88 right now and its perfectly fine.
    I think what he meant was on the tour regardless of how low the dbm signal is in numbers it picks up, if its below 80, the tour shows only 80 nothing less. I noticed that myself. standing right below the tower, 80 will always be there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-10 04:57 AM
    Yes. That's the way it is.
    04-22-10 05:58 AM
    This is what I am referring to. With 5 bars, the Tour still shows -80, which is wrong...obviously this is a problem, as its sending the wrong data to Root Mobile, which is tracking and analyzing my real-time coverage strength...

I think what he meant was on the tour regardless of how low the dbm signal is in numbers it picks up, if its below 80, the tour shows only 80 nothing less. I noticed that myself. standing right below the tower, 80 will always be there.

04-22-10 07:34 AM
    mconk,
    I would try to update your prl if you havent done that yet. I know most people dont do that very often but if you dont have the newest prl that will affect your signal strength.
    04-22-10 11:04 AM
    The tour isnt deliberately sending the wrong number anywhere, that's just what the tour OS reports period. Fwiw, my Curve did the same thing with -80 being the best it would show. You can press alt + nmll (those are "L"'s) and it switches from bars to signal strength reading in numbers. So essentially, RIM decided we didn't need to know when it gets a better signal than that. .

04-22-10 01:49 PM
    Weird that its designed to only show -80dB or higher, as 80dB isint technically a full 5 bars...

The tour isnt deliberately sending the wrong number anywhere, that's just what the tour OS reports period. Fwiw, my Curve did the same thing with -80 being the best it would show. You can press alt + nmll (those are "L"'s) and it switches from bars to signal strength reading in numbers. So essentially, RIM decided we didn't need to know when it gets a better signal than that. .

04-23-10 03:18 PM
    OOh I like that, being able to switch to the numerical data... thanks for the info!

04-23-10 05:08 PM
    I don't know if it was the unlock, the patch, or what but just right now mine is showing between -87 and -89. Which is infact new to me lol

04-23-10 10:48 PM
    Weird that its designed to only show -80dB or higher, as 80dB isint technically a full 5 bars...
    Is there a standard that says what signal level is displayed as 5 bars? If so, what level is supposed to be 5 bars?

04-23-10 11:40 PM
    How do you update the PRL?

04-24-10 03:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD