month to month is 489.99. to cancel the contract you have to pay 175 + 199= 375 + 35 activation + 31 days of service (which is what is said you have to pay to not get charged full retail price) which comes out close to 489.99. I guess verizon did this on purpose when deciding the price.
    Last edited by holladay42; 07-06-09 at 10:32 AM.
    07-06-09 10:29 AM
    so what are you saying? if you cancel you lose your number? if you try to reinstate service they activate your old contract and remaining time. if you have had the contract for more than 6 months its less than 175 so there are a lot of factors your missing
    07-06-09 10:32 AM
    There is an x amount of months your contract can be re-activated, its either 3 or 6. Plus it doesn't make sense to count your monthly cost because you're patiny that now regardless. Also ice never paid an activation fee just by telling the rep I don't want to pay it, they have always waived it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-09 10:52 AM
    I thought the ETF was prorated at 5 dollars per month? so if you're only a year into your 2 year contract, then ETF would be 175 - (5*12) = $115. someone correct me if that's wrong.
    07-06-09 10:57 AM
    I thought the ETF was prorated at 5 dollars per month? so if you're only a year into your 2 year contract, then ETF would be 175 - (5*12) = $115. someone correct me if that's wrong.
    Yeap, 5 off for every month you've been w/ them and DIDNT touch your contract.
    07-06-09 11:02 AM
    But if you have a family share, add a line, esn change, pay the 9.99 for that month , then cancel. You are still 80 bucks ahead right?

07-06-09 11:24 AM
    But if you have a family share, add a line, esn change, pay the 9.99 for that month , then cancel. You are still 80 bucks ahead right?

That's the way I've done it in the past.
    07-06-09 11:33 AM

It depends. If you're switching from a prior BlackBerry with Verizon, you have to pay a month of data services ($30 for BIS). Here's what I worked out before:

+ $10 (added line)
    + $199 (Tour 2-yr contract price)
    + $175 ETF (minus whatever is pro-rated)
    + $30 (BIS data on prior line)
    ------
    $414

This assumes:

(1) Add a line
    (2) Purchase a Tour at the 2-yr contract price for the added line
    (3) [Optional] Switch phones on the lines (to retain your phone number)
    (4) Cancel the new line after 30-days
    (5) No/waived activation fee

I'll be switching from a Storm that I've had since Dec. '08. I know my ETF fee for that line is $145. But, what I don't know is that if I switch lines, will the ETF still be $145 or would it be the full $175 since I'll be canceling the new line instead of the line where I currently have my Storm.

Now, I'm also planning on selling my Storm. That'll help offset some of the cost. Particularly, if I'm able to sell the Storm for at least as much as the ETF + $40 (month of new line and redundant data services), I'll at least break even.

This all seem right?
    07-06-09 11:34 AM
    as you can see in my calculation...this is for when you add a line!, meaning new service meaning a 175 cancellation fee. Im not talking about existing contracts cause it really doesnt make sense make sense to cancel your line and lose your number.

And where are you ordering the phone that they will waive the activation fee. that is not something they automatically do, even if you ask
    07-06-09 12:08 PM
    It depends. If you're switching from a prior BlackBerry with Verizon, you have to pay a month of data services ($30 for BIS). Here's what I worked out before:

+ $10 (added line)
    + $199 (Tour 2-yr contract price)
    + $175 ETF (minus whatever is pro-rated)
    + $30 (BIS data on prior line)
    ------
    $414

This assumes:

(1) Add a line
    (2) Purchase a Tour at the 2-yr contract price for the added line
    (3) [Optional] Switch phones on the lines (to retain your phone number)
    (4) Cancel the new line after 30-days
    (5) No/waived activation fee

I'll be switching from a Storm that I've had since Dec. '08. I know my ETF fee for that line is $145. But, what I don't know is that if I switch lines, will the ETF still be $145 or would it be the full $175 since I'll be canceling the new line instead of the line where I currently have my Storm.

Now, I'm also planning on selling my Storm. That'll help offset some of the cost. Particularly, if I'm able to sell the Storm for at least as much as the ETF + $40 (month of new line and redundant data services), I'll at least break even.

This all seem right?
    it will be 175 not 145 unless you cancel your existing number, which means you will lose that number
    07-06-09 12:10 PM
    so what are you saying? if you cancel you lose your number? if you try to reinstate service they activate your old contract and remaining time. if you have had the contract for more than 6 months its less than 175 so there are a lot of factors your missing
    if you cancel you lose your number, unless it is ported out and back in, otherwise it is gone. secondly im not talking about existing numbers since if you cancel you lose your number, im talkin about adding a new line or new account, so the etf will be 175 and the monthly charges for that new line
    07-06-09 12:16 PM
    when you add a line you have to goto at least 69.99 a month plus your data so if your on a single line there is going to be other issues so it depends on what your current situation is
    07-06-09 12:19 PM
    You can get a new account with the tour at 199 and then port your number from your old one. when you port your number you automatically terminate that account, so you'd pay ETF for your old account and keep your old number.

A while back, when I switched from Cingular to Verizon, my contract on Cingular wasn't up so when I got my Verizon account set up, I just got a new number to see if I'd like the phone/service in my area since Verizon had that 14 day moneyback guarantee. After 2 days of using verizon, I called Verizon and had them port my old number from my Cingular line. I had to pay ETF for Cingular but the better coverage was worth it.

I don't see why the above situation wouldn't apply to two separate verizon accounts. I don't know how family lines would work though.
    07-06-09 12:24 PM
    it will be 175 not 145 unless you cancel your existing number, which means you will lose that number
    Thanks. That's what I figured.
    07-06-09 02:21 PM
    Plus if you cancel you still have to pay that monthly bill too
    07-06-09 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD