Several members mentioned downgrading back to a previous OS level after upgrading to OS level 5 and experiencing problems. How do I save my current OS level 4.7.1 when I upgrade to v5 using Desktop Manager?

Thanks in advance for any direction you can offer.
    05-11-10 08:26 AM
    All you have to do is keep the OS 4.7 exe on your PC. It isn't necessary to uninstall it from your PC.

If you've never installed your OS on your PC, you need to download it from RIM or your carrier first. I can explain that if you need more info.
    05-11-10 08:30 AM
    Actually, this is another reason to, at least, install the "current" OS for you phone on your computer or, at a minimum, download that version to your computer. That way you have the exe file just in case you want to revert. So those who rely on OTA upgrades, now that they are available, might still consider going to rim or carrier's site and getting their current OS just in case.

A tedious method to back it up would be to use bbsak to "dump" the entire contents of the cod files to your computer although I have never tried reinstalling all of those rim cod files and it may not work very well. Hopefully, the initial questioner has a copy or a copy of 4.7.x is still out there.
    05-11-10 08:41 AM
    All you have to do is keep the OS 4.7 exe on your PC. It isn't necessary to uninstall it from your PC.

If you've never installed your OS on your PC, you need to download it from RIM or your carrier first. I can explain that if you need more info.
    Thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately I don't have v4.7 saved as it came originally with my 9630. In the past Verizon has said that once the new version (v5) is released, they don't have the older version available anymore and RIM claims that only the carrier maintains the OS for release. Is there any other option to get the older version?
    05-11-10 08:56 AM
    I can give you megaupload links to the files.
    4.7.1.61: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    4.7.1.40: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    Last edited by JeffH; 05-11-10 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added links
    05-11-10 09:03 AM
    Thanks a million, I have the file.
    05-11-10 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD