Hey all,
    As you can see by my info, I'm not currently a BB user. I've been reading CrackBerry for quite some time, so I know my way around, etc.
    Here's my situation: I'm currently a Sophomore in college with 2 jobs on campus. My father pays my phone bill (family share plan on Verizon) if I keep my grades up. He refuses, however, to add a data plan on Verizon, even if I pay the extra cost. Can you give me some more ammunition to use to convince him?
    My jobs on campus require that I am accessible 24 hours a day (I am a residence advisor in a dorm). When I'm out enjoying myself (or simply not at a computer) I need to be able to check my mail and stay connected.
    Other than the obvious reasons: email, being a phone, texting --- what are some other perks to a BB? (I would buy myself a Tour)

Thanks ahead of time!
    08-03-09 04:56 PM
    That email push alone should be worth it since u need to receive emails for work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 04:59 PM
    You could always tell him that with the abilities to go online with your smartphone, you would be able to get quick reference for those times when you are studying for exams and are away from a computer.
    08-03-09 05:14 PM
    If you are going to pay for the full $30/mo in data, not sure why there is a refusal on his part. Worst case you would have to pay for a plan for yourself
    08-03-09 05:20 PM
    Why don't you have him put the phone in your name and he can just make payments to the plan as he sees fit. You can then add all the extras you want and he will just be subsidizing your monthly fee.
    Tell him this will teach you responsibility as well as establish credit for you. Tell him eventually he won't need to make payments for you. It will also give you privacy as he won't be seeing all the phone numbers you are calling.
    08-03-09 06:20 PM
    if had a similiar problem and my reasoning was::

Im a grad student and need to have my emails on hand at all times..its awesome to get emails pushed to your device instantly...bb is the best in the world at doing this..

im i moved to a new city for grad school so i use google on my phones browser to find things all the time...

i was paying per mb with verizon and was already paying like 5-8 bucks for the data i was using on my old non-smartphone device...

if i need to email a teacher, i can do it very quickly from the device...

Helps with school and helps stay on top of everything with school, email, schedules, etc...
    08-03-09 06:28 PM
    And if after all the reasoning, your dad won't pay for data, pay for it yourself.

Thats what I'm currently doing.
    08-03-09 06:35 PM
    Move your line to a new account in your own name and pay the bill yourself!

He's your father. It's one of those "my house, my rules" arguments. If you don't like it, take responsibility for yourself. Maybe that's what he is waiting for...
    08-03-09 06:37 PM
    Be around him all time time andwhen he has a question or wants a number and say well if I had the net look what I could have done lol

08-03-09 06:42 PM
    Ok... prepare for itemized let downs. (not trying to be to mean)

1. Hes the decision maker. As long as hes paying the bills, just be happy you have a phone. If you dont like his rules, get your own and be independent.

2. Unless you are over the age of 21 and / or make enough money to support yourself without mommy and daddys help, you dont need a blackberry. If you are needed for work, thats why the phone was invented. You dont need a blackberry for someone to call you.

3. If you have text messaging then you have all you need. Forward emails from important people to your phone as a text message. For instance.. [email protected]. You will get a text message with the email.

4. You are in college as a RA. People can call you if its important.

Sure, blackberries look cool and all and its important to show off and all. But I think you will feel better knowing that your father is right and you should be happy to be getting your phone for free.

Drop it and tell him he is right.

Or just get your own plan and pay for it yourself.
    08-03-09 06:44 PM
    Move your line to a new account in your own name and pay the bill yourself!

He's your father. It's one of those "my house, my rules" arguments. If you don't like it, take responsibility for yourself. Maybe that's what he is waiting for...
    Exactly... I'm so tired of emo highschools crying because daddy wont let them spend more of his money that HE works for.
    08-03-09 06:47 PM
    Exactly... I'm so tired of emo highschools crying because daddy wont let them spend more of his money that HE works for.
    I would be paying the extra money. And since I got scholarships to college and keep high grades he's willing to pay for a phone bill--I'm not emo or in high school. Get your facts straight when trying to insult someone.
    08-03-09 06:49 PM
    Ditto!

Your dad is trying to tell you to be more independent!
    Last edited by Aetius; 08-03-09 at 07:05 PM. Reason: typo!
    08-03-09 06:50 PM
    Please read the first post again. He's a college student with 2 jobs and HE wants to pay the additional cost of the data plan. If you're just going to insult the OP without even reading his post then don't bother posting.

08-03-09 06:52 PM
    Sorry... the extra two years is obviously the turning point in his argument. Its a great bargaining chip that is sure to sway daddy's position on the matter.

Im not trying to insult anyone. I am stating the obvious. Dont turn to the internet to try to resolve family issues if you don't want honest opinions.
    08-03-09 06:58 PM
    I was actually asking for more perks to the phone than the obvious.

As far as the two years go, you don't know my situation, so why try and use that as your basis? And as far as using the money HE earns, I studied hard and got a scholarship so daddy wouldn't have to help pay for college at all.
    And believe me, if it was a family issue I wouldn't be on the internet.

Did you not understand what my original post was asking? I can make it simpler for you, if you want.
    08-03-09 07:05 PM
    Ok... prepare for itemized let downs. (not trying to be to mean)

1. Hes the decision maker. As long as hes paying the bills, just be happy you have a phone. If you dont like his rules, get your own and be independent.

2. Unless you are over the age of 21 and / or make enough money to support yourself without mommy and daddys help, you dont need a blackberry. If you are needed for work, thats why the phone was invented. You dont need a blackberry for someone to call you.

3. If you have text messaging then you have all you need. Forward emails from important people to your phone as a text message. For instance.. [email protected]. You will get a text message with the email.

4. You are in college as a RA. People can call you if its important.

Sure, blackberries look cool and all and its important to show off and all. But I think you will feel better knowing that your father is right and you should be happy to be getting your phone for free.

Drop it and tell him he is right.

Or just get your own plan and pay for it yourself.
    Even our managers say don't give out personal phone numbers, that they can call the room phone we're provided with. If I'm not there, though, and am doing something for a club, being able to check my email (which we're required to give out) will be a great help in making sure my residents are taken care of.
    EDIT: Not to mention my other job can keep in touch with me, too.
    08-03-09 07:12 PM
    I think it is simple. Your dad said no. Why argue?

You are asking for ways to get your dad to change his mind. From your situation, there really aren't any from what I can see. You have no logical use for one besides it being a toy.

If you want one, get your own plan and pay for it. Simple as that.

Sorry if it sounds mean and its not what you want to hear, but sadly its the truth. If your dad doesn't want you to have one, and you are on his plan, its up to your dad.
    08-03-09 07:15 PM
    Most people that I know who need to use a cellphone or blackberry for their job, get compensation for that from their job, since otherwise it can be an unfair expense. Why doesn't your employer help you with the cost if they need it from you so badly.
    08-03-09 07:17 PM
    If he has no additional cost on his end, I fail to see why I should just admit he's right when I work for my money and want to pay it. I'd get my own plan but why go that route when I could pay for my "toy" and he wouldn't have to?
    The mentality of "because I said so" doesn't sit well with me; maybe it does with you because you're a parent.
    I can see his point of view, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with or accept it.
    08-03-09 07:18 PM
    If he has no additional cost on his end, I fail to see why I should just admit he's right when I work for my money and want to pay it. I'd get my own plan but why go that route when I could pay for my "toy" and he wouldn't have to?
    The mentality of "because I said so" doesn't sit well with me; maybe it does with you because you're a parent.
    I can see his point of view, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with or accept it.
    Why are you arguing with people online? What ammunition are you asking us to give you. Are you going to go tell him that the people on CB told you so?

You said it yourself. If it is YOUR money and YOU want to pay for it, get your OWN account.
    08-03-09 07:20 PM
    Most people that I know who need to use a cellphone or blackberry for their job, get compensation for that from their job, since otherwise it can be an unfair expense. Why doesn't your employer help you with the cost if they need it from you so badly.
    It's not required, it'd just be easier on my end. It would mean that I could stay out in the actual campus more instead of having to go back and check my email.
    Sure, I would obviously use the social aspect of it, but as far as pushing email goes, it'd make my life a lot easier.
    08-03-09 07:21 PM
    Why are you arguing with people online? What ammunition are you asking us to give you. Are you going to go tell him that the people on CB told you so?

You said it yourself. If it is YOUR money and YOU want to pay for it, get your OWN account.
    I'm not arguing. Again, if you didn't understand the post, I was asking for what other perks the phone might give. I'm not asking for a solution, I'm merely asking what things I might have overlooked.
    As long as there's a resource that can potentially help me, why not try to use it?
    08-03-09 07:23 PM
    I'm not arguing. Again, if you didn't understand the post, I was asking for what other perks the phone might give. I'm not asking for a solution, I'm merely asking what things I might have overlooked.
    As long as there's a resource that can potentially help me, why not try to use it?
    Don't worry, there's a lot of dads on here who hate younger people questioning their elders

But it does seem like there's nothing you can do. It may seem unreasonable of him but until you get your account, he has final say so.

08-03-09 07:27 PM
    keep in mind that if you are on verizon, you can't activate a blackberry without a data plan. if you really want a blackberry, you're going to need a data plan.
    08-03-09 07:31 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD