I have heard all kinds of stories about not being able to use phones in the hospital, not being able to use them in certain locations, permissions for cellphones anywhere because the technology has advanced, etc. Anyone know what the truth is?

I am scheduled to have surgery here in a couple of months and its going to be pretty rough. I'm spending at least a week in the hospital. I will not have heart monitors, etc. on me but I will have a little pain pump (you know the ones with the trigger you press when you're in pain) as well as an spinal/epidoral. Any idea if I will be cut off from my Blackberry that long or if I will be permitted to use it during my stay?

Going to be in a load of pain, but it'd be worse without the BB by my side!
    01-11-10 03:09 PM
    Fisrt off, best of luck and speedy recovery.

As for the phone, depends on the area you are in. I would ask the hospital and if okay have a friend or family member bring you the phone. I have been in many a hospital and used mine with no problem. Again depends where you will be recovering.
    01-11-10 03:36 PM
    Many hospitals have their own wireless networks for their patients and families to use, your bberry may not be a problem. Consider a laptop thoguh just in case. (You may have an issue if you're in the cardiac unit)
    01-11-10 03:39 PM
    Better to know the hospital policy than take a shot in the dark.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 03:52 PM
    My daughter had a C-section 2 days ago and while I sat at home we texted back and forth her whole stay. We love our Tours. Good luck

01-11-10 03:56 PM
    I work in a Dialysis Clinic and cover Acute programs at 2 Hospitals and I can confirm with you that its hospital policy not to use your phone in certain areas where Radioactivity is near. Most Hospitals now have cell phone use allowed now since cell phones have been confirmed NOT to use the same frequency that medical equipment use (which was the fear that if you were on the phone sending data, you could change data on a life saving piece of equipment). Now (as opposed to 2 years ago) we have Dialysis patients on the phone during their treatments, surfing and such...know whats their #1 used phone is, yep, Blackberry phones
    01-11-10 04:37 PM
    Better to know the hospital policy than take a shot in the dark.

Agreed. Whether or not the phone will work, I don't know.

But the hospital can enforce any rules they want, I think it's more of a policy issue.
    01-11-10 04:44 PM
    Just leave it on vibrate and don't use it while a doc or nurse is working on you. I was on the phone in the hospital and got yelled at. Then I said I was getting my medical history, (I really was), then they were like, its fine. If cell phones interfered with anything, there'd be a lot of dead people and planes would drop out of the sky all day long. People don't follow rules. Just leave your phone in your room if you get an MRI.
    01-11-10 05:25 PM
    The last 4 years of my life have been riddled with hospital stay after hospital stay. Every time I have been admitted I used my mobile device without any problems. Be sure to bring your charger, your BB will be a blessing, especially if you have to share a room/tv.
    01-11-10 05:35 PM
    Our patients are constantly on their phones while in the hospital with IV pumps right next to them. They also bring in their laptops if it is an extended stay and use our free wifi. Heck, even in our PICU we have our phones on and use them when making rounds. Most, if not all of us, have blackberries.
    01-11-10 06:12 PM
    Here in FL you can use cel phones in hospitals...
    01-11-10 06:47 PM
    Good to hear that the consensus seems to be that they are allowed. I guess ill take the advice offered and ask about the particular hospital's policy. I just can't imagine laying there---even in all the pain etc.---without the BB beside me!

Since its going to be an interesting procedure (having a NUSS procedure for a defect in my chest wall) and a rather involved recovery, I was hoping to start up a little blog or something of the sorts to keep everyone in my life updated during my stay and subsequent 3 month recovery from home...

01-11-10 08:13 PM
    The primary reason some hospitals don't allow for the use of cell phones is because it interferes with remote monitoring equipment. In particular remote heart monitors.

I'm a cardiac patient. Two time open heart surgery survivor with the second one just three months ago. During my first recovery 8 years ago they frowned upon cell phone usage. This time around no one said a peep and I really didn't see too many no-cell use signs. I used my Tour CONSTANTLY during my recovery this time around. No one said a peep. I even tethered my laptop as well as used the hospitals Wi-Fi. I'm pretty sure the latest advancements has all but eliminated interference between a cell phone and heart monitoring equipment.

Best of luck for your surgery! Hope it all goes well and you have no complications.
    01-11-10 08:15 PM
    My dad was in the hospital for three weeks at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles, one of the best hospitals in the country, and he used his phone constantly without issues. The nurses even checked to make sure his phone was charged properly!

I would check with the hospital just to be sure, though. Good luck with your surgery and recovery!
    01-12-10 10:44 AM
    My husband had open heart surgery last year and I brought him his laptop so he could watch our Slingbox (TV) and he didn't have to pay for a TV. We also used our cell phones in the room all the time, and no one ever said anything.

I wish you much luck and a very speedy recovery. Check in with us.
    01-12-10 11:40 AM
    The nurses even checked to make sure his phone was charged properly!
    Wow, talk about 5 star service!
    01-12-10 01:20 PM
    it all depends if your Hospital lets you use a cell phone. My local Hospital bans Cell phones and demands you have then turned OFF at all times inside the hospital
    01-12-10 01:23 PM
    Go for it!! It's better to be on your tour then watch the watered down cable they offer in the hospital with the busted speaker box remote, besides you know how hard it is to not have you blackberry by you're side for a couple of day's? I think I would go insane, so just bring it and be happy!!!

01-12-10 01:28 PM
    Well, if the Pope says its okay, so it is!

Talked to the hospital this morning. The woman was very kind and assured me I could use my phone and explained the previous bans were put in place because of speculation about possible mix ups or issues. NOT actual happenstances at this particular hospital or its affiliated locations! Yea!

Last edited by d5115r; 01-14-10 at 08:42 PM.
    01-14-10 08:40 PM
    The big panic and ban on cell phone use is pretty outdated. It goes back to analog phones and the frequency they operated on. since digital signals have been in use many hospitals never updated their policies to allow cell phone use. when it comes to patient care and any possibility of harm hospitals will always error on the side of safety. Keep in mind hospitals are big and the walls are thick and often reinforced so getting a decent signal may be your downfall. Well good luck I hope everything goes well and wish you a speedy recovery.
    01-14-10 10:11 PM
    Glad to hear they'll let you use your phone while you're there. The hospital where I live has designated areas (cafeteria, waiting rooms, etc) where they allow cell use, but nowhere near patients.
    01-14-10 10:15 PM
    Good luck with your surgery and recovery. I have never had an issue not being able to use my mobile device. I was the in the ER two yrs ago and was able to use it trying to reach someone to help me with my car....I was taken by ambulance.
    I also could have it in my room when I was admitted.
    01-14-10 10:43 PM
    The vast majority of hospitals do not prohibit cell phone use. I can tell you that the hospital I am on staff at permitted cell phone use when they discovered that neighboring hospitals allowed it and it became a customer /patient satisfaction issue. Regarding safety, it is really only an issue with cardiac telemetry equipment. Studies have shown that the critical distance for interference is 30 inches. So it could possibly be an issue with an ICU or telemetry unit only.
    01-15-10 07:59 PM
    i think its more of a curtsy thing so you wont bug other ppl while they are trying to rest
    01-15-10 08:08 PM
    I'm a medical student, and I use my BB all the time in the hospital, in fact I never turn it off. Just today, I read and sent a text in the OR after the case ended.

Modern equipment should be shielded against all kinds of interference. Most hospitals I've been in have wifi now, and imagine how many other wireless signals of all types are present, one more won't make a difference. Just use common sense, if some piece of equipment is going haywire, then turn the phone off and see if that helps. But I've never seen a patient's phone or laptop interfere with anything.
    01-15-10 09:46 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD