I'm eligible for my NE2 on Verizon starting tomorrow, and I was planning on heading into the VZW store to get myself a Tour.

I'm a little worried about the numerous hardware problems that I've read about on here; the two big ones, so far as I can tell, are the trackball issues and the call reception issues (sounding "muffled" and the like).

Is there anything I might be able to do at the store that could minimize the chances of me having to exchange my Tour numerous times? For example, should I refuse to purchase any Tour that was made at a certain manufacturing plant, or that was manufactured before a certain date, or that isn't a "green dot" Tour? Or should I ask to see how the phone functions right there in the store so I can verify that it works well?

Any suggestions, Tour fans? Thank you in advance for your help.
    08-30-09 07:58 AM
    you should have no worries anymore. RIM fixed all the problems with them Tour about 2 weeks ago. Trackball issue was one of them that they fixed. There are no known problems now with the new Tours, there actually perfact
    08-30-09 08:08 AM
    Like mjbesen said, buying a Tour now wouldnt worry me at all. Just make sure its a new batch and you should be good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 08:20 AM
    I just got a Mexico 5 green dot (wednesday from VZW telesales) with build date of aug 06 and the mic is terrible and its going back today.. trackball is fine though..

what is considered a "new batch"?,

08-30-09 09:02 AM
    I just got a Mexico 5 green dot (wednesday from VZW telesales) with build date of aug 06 and the mic is terrible and its going back today.. trackball is fine though..

what is considered a "new batch"?,

the new batch is the green dot one you have. when you say the mics bad on yours, what do you mean exactly?
    08-30-09 09:05 AM
    I know this is kinda off topic what is New Every 2..I know I am signed up for it...I know I signed a 2 year contract and cant get a new phone until my 2 years is up...so what is NE2 then?
    08-30-09 09:15 AM
    Any suggestions, Tour fans? Thank you in advance for your help.
    open and play with it at the store. any issues should be apparent. trackballs gone bad will favor on side or ignore you altogether. the battery door, if flawed, will wiggle and jiggle. those where the only issues i had, i have a horrible self-induced speech impediment that keeps me from speaking clearly so i always sound muffled...so i can't really help there.
    08-30-09 09:16 AM
    I know this is kinda off topic what is New Every 2..I know I am signed up for it...I know I signed a 2 year contract and cant get a new phone until my 2 years is up...so what is NE2 then?
    what's crazy is verizon's buy one get one free blackberry deal. if they weren't such crooks i'd be all over that deal.
    08-30-09 09:17 AM
    so what is NE2 still....I dont understand
    08-30-09 09:21 AM
    open and play with it at the store. any issues should be apparent. trackballs gone bad will favor on side or ignore you altogether. the battery door, if flawed, will wiggle and jiggle. those where the only issues i had, i have a horrible self-induced speech impediment that keeps me from speaking clearly so i always sound muffled...so i can't really help there.
    That's useful. Thanks.

Will they allow me to activate the phone at the store and call someone using the phone as well - and allow me to exchange it for a different phone if the mic quality sucks?
    08-30-09 09:22 AM
    New every 2 yrs

08-30-09 09:22 AM
    so what is NE2 still....I dont understand
    It just stands for "New Every 2." You are eligible for an upgrade every two years on contract.
    08-30-09 09:23 AM
    From what I read, the ne2 means you can get another $50 off (more for some older plans??) after 20 months and not the full 24 months. Mine is due NEXT Monday.

Back on topic - check that the headphone jack works.
    08-30-09 10:05 AM
    the new batch is the green dot one you have. when you say the mics bad on yours, what do you mean exactly?
    people say I sound like i am "muffled", I have 2 tours i got at the same time (one is my wifes). although her Tour does not appear to be (sound) as good as I am used to on my treo 700wx, it is FAR better than my tour.

I have tried a couple of settings to fix it.. but the other tour is just fine OOTB
    Last edited by jbiz123; 08-30-09 at 10:10 AM.
    08-30-09 10:08 AM
    From what I read, the ne2 means you can get another $50 off (more for some older plans??) after 20 months and not the full 24 months. Mine is due NEXT Monday.

Thanks, I will keep that on my list.
    08-30-09 10:15 AM

You are correct, I just went to VZW online and read the FAQ's on NE2 and you are 100% correct! Enjoy your upgrade next monday---you can't go wrong with a tour..had it since the 13th launch date!!
    08-30-09 10:38 AM
    No more problems with new Tours. It's a solid phone.
    08-30-09 12:49 PM
    they just replaced mine with a Canada 1, with NO green dot.. so far its much better than the Green Dot Mexio 5 one that I had..

the trackball is fine on this one, the battery cover was not fitting well, so they took the one from my first one and it fits much better..

I am still not 100% about the Mic, as long as it right up against my face, it sounds fine.. but move it even a 1/2 inch away from face, it starts to sound muffled.. but it is much better than the first one... I still need to check the headphone jack.

I would say make sure to check the battery cover fits solid on any phone you get, and not coming up in the bottom corner..
    08-30-09 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD